modified TL's and RL's

Interested in getting a new TL-S or RL but think they are too bland stylingwise. Does anyone have pics they want to post of their cars? Was thinking of a TL-S with 18" polished or chrome rims and 225's. What do you all think? Thanks.

You might wanna try Acura-TL.com

I have an 02' TL/S as a daily driver, and it's a great car!

------------------

2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

Originally posted by Zuerst:
I think you should also look into the Acura CL 6 speed...

I think for daily driving the Sport Shift works out great. Personally, a lot of times I'm on the cell phone, and a 6-speed daily driver wouldn't work for me. I've tried it, and speak from experience. But that's just me.

Had a loaner TL/S for a few days earlier this year, and put several hundred miles on it -- my dealer told me to hammer it.

OK car -- enough power to chirp the tires on takeoff, yet refined and updated with most of the features. I liked how the Sportshift holds 2nd gear at the rev limiter(no auto upshift). HID, stereo and trunk space also were nice.

Same dealer has a "performance" shop (deal in Comptech and other parts)... one of their cars is a TL-S bored out to 3.5L with (IIRC) mild boost. They claim at least 350 hp.

Thanks for your replies, I've driven all the cars in question including the CL-S, great car but I really need four doors.

A 1999 TL-P serves as my daily driver. It's been a great car. I only wish the 260HP Type-S version was out when I got it.

Yeah, the car starts out a bit bland, but it makes such a difference with 18 inch wheels and a lowered stance.

tl-x_04.jpg

I've also just recently put on a factory kit, and it looks tons better. I just haven't gotten around to getting pics yet.

You can get some info over at www.acura-tl.com, but I've noticed that when you ask about wheels for the car, if it ain't got 19 inch Lowenharts, then it'll suck sh*t. If you ask me, that's pretty closed minded. I'm very happy with a set of 18s in my own style, particularly with all the pot holes I've got around here.

Whatever you might do, you've got to lower it. The car sits way too high. I lowered my car almost two inches and it still doesn't look low enough sometimes.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

that's a sweet looking ride.

Is that the Agean Blue color? My wife and I are looking at getting a TL Type S in a few months. We've narrowed it down to silver and the blue.

Wait, she just informed me that she also likes the silver IS300.

I dunno about you guys but I tend to like the looks of '99 version TL much better than the TL now. The newer ones really exaggerated the front with huge head lights along with a big azz acura badge which I personally think is somewhat bad looking. However, I do like the rear as they come with white signal lights.

Not trying to be picky, O-Ace. I'm sure you've been driving for quite sometime which makes me don't understand why would it bother you driving stick and talk on the cell phone at the same time? It's really a piece of cake, I talk on the cell phone all the time while driving. The only thing can pull me back a little is I don't want to use up my minutes
smile.gif

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
Is that the Agean Blue color? My wife and I are looking at getting a TL Type S in a few months. We've narrowed it down to silver and the blue.

Wait, she just informed me that she also likes the silver IS300.

No, the color of my '99 is Monterey Blue Pearl. The current color is brighter than what I have. Mine can look pretty dark at times, particularly at night, and it has a hint of purple in it.

I do like the IS300, but that car just feels a bit small for me. I also didn't like the way Lexus scrimped on somethings, like not putting any hydraulic support shocks for the hood.

For about $30K, Acura really stuffed the car with a lot of features, like heated seats, HIDs, navigation system, etc. A really loaded car.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Here's mine

recentpic.jpg

I personally still love the 99-01 smaller front end. But hey....I rather get a new car....but...i rather get a '92 NSX..But mom said no. So hopefully in a year or two, my TL-S will be joined with it's relative..the NSX.
biggrin.gif
am I acting corny or what?

hey fury..i still wanna check out your NSX!!!
wink.gif

Originally posted by ElegantTL-S:

hey fury..i still wanna check out your NSX!!!
wink.gif

No problem!! If you're ever in the San Diego area, just let me know!
smile.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 30 May 2002).]

I prefer my 99 RL over my dads 00 TL. The ride is smoother and the quality of materials is excellent. Its no TL-S, but max torque is at 2800 rpm, so its easy to get up to speed in traffic.

The RL is also better built than the TL. Styling is subjective, but I like the RL style much more than the TL.

I wouldn't modify an RL. It makes it look like a pimp mobile. I don't think either car looks bland.

WT
99 RL (Naples Gold)
97 NSX-T (Spa Yellow)

Originally posted by ElegantTL-S:
haha, cool! now....the only time I'm in San Diego is for Import Showoff..... do you ever travel up here?!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Where's "up here"? Your user info only says SoCal.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

i also just purchased a 02 TL S-type its a great car for its price but as with this site the acura tl.com site will provide you with a wealth of info and insight into the car and make your decision to buy one more clear....the car has its share of problems ..the main one being the transmission failure issue...ive had no problems with mine so far and love the car.As far as the RL it was more money and underpowered but adequate and i couldnt see spending my money on that as it did not offer as much as the tls did.

[This message has been edited by NyC NsX (edited 05 July 2002).]

The TL Type S is indeed a terrific car for the money. Compare it with its competitors (from BMW and Lexus, for example) and there's not a huge difference anywhere except the price. When you take into account the cost of all the items that are optional on the other cars and standard on the TL-S, you're looking at a difference of around $10K!!!
eek.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Compare it with its competitors (from BMW and Lexus, for example) and there's not a huge difference anywhere except the price.

Sorry, Ken, but I have to disagree here. There is a HUGE difference in the selection of interior materials and overall build quality between a TL and comparable cars from BMW and Lexus. The TL is closer to a "really nice Accord" than it is a BMW or Lexus... the RL is closer, but still falls a tad short.

EDR

Eric,

How so? Wifey and I are still deliberating about which one to get. We're both liking the IS300 a lot right now but the TL-S is still high on the list. The 330 we looked at while nice seemed way too expensive for what you got. BUT . . . we didn't get to drive it - ran out of time.

Just interested to know what your thoughts were.

I have to disagree EDR. The TL-S is every bit as refined as the IS300 and BMW. It has has more room inside, has more room in the trunk and outperforms both cars (minus the 330). For 30K, it is nearly impossible to beat the TL-S. It is also nice to know that acura wont option you to DEATH like BMW and Lexus. I think the only option on the TLS is the nav system. Now that is the way all cars should be!

Yes, Eric, I disagree also. I think the TL-S is very refined, and in many ways (ergonomic layout of the interior, "feel" of the controls) is actually superior to the BMW and the Lexus. You are correct that there is a huge difference in build quality between the TL and the BMW 3-series; the TL-S is far superior to the BMW, and every owner survey on reliability backs this up. (The Lexus can match the TL though.) Yes, there are some ways that the others are superior (the quality of the leather in the Lexus, for example) but overall, they're pretty darn close. In any case, I sure don't see $10K of difference there.

Lumping the TL-S with the Accord makes no sense at all; the two cars are different in every possible way. However, a comparison between the Lexus ES300 and the Toyota Camry has a more legitimate basis.

i owned a 99 tl and just recently test drove both the bmw 3 and the new tl typeS.

the tl is undoubtedly the best value for the $$$. i also thought the drivetrains close enough to be a matter of preference. HOWEVER, the bmw IMO handles much better than the tl. both the 99 i owned and the new type s had Way too much body roll for my tastes. the tl sticks in the corners just fine, but really really leans over. the bmw gave a noticeably better ride when cornering.

im curious if anyone else had the same opinions on this topic.

having said that, for a $$$ to $$$, id still buy the tl.

Back