Mobil 1 in the TL?

We are approaching time for the first oil change in our 2004 TL. Should I use Mobil 1 in the TL? Is there any real point as it is a brand new engine?

Put it in. It is way better than conventional period. Conventional oil molecules break down @ every shear and deteriorate from day one, thus causing wear. Synthetics can actually "re-build" molecules after a shear, staying as consistant as day 1. Follow the mfg suggested filter change usually between 5k and 7.5k miles and your Honda will last decades.

I ran Mobil 1 in my new Integra from day 1, and had the motor tore down @ 50,000 miles to upgrade pistons/rods due to a turbo kit, and the internals of the motor looked brand new.

Lots of people on the Acura-TL board have gone the synthetic route.....but its not the engine im worried about in the TL. :rolleyes:

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Lots of people on the Acura-TL board have gone the synthetic route.....but its not the engine im worried about in the TL. :rolleyes:

I don't understand that comment?

I think he means about the previous transmission failures in the G2 TL, but I thought they had that fixed by 03?

ChrisK said:
I think he means about the previous transmission failures in the G2 TL, but I thought they had that fixed by 03?

Lets not forget the other models effected....MDX,PILOT,ODESSEY.
There was a recall on these models but not the TL yet. But they did send out a extended warranty to owners who own TL's which were built with the tranny issue.

Im on my second tranny now, first one went at 15k miles.

I was using Mobil 1 but my NSX tech told me that it was a waste of money if I was changing my oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles. Made since to me, so I changed. Guess it depends on how often you change your oil.

Just a thought.

Dtrigg said:
I was using Mobil 1 but my NSX tech told me that it was a waste of money if I was changing my oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles.
That doesn't make any sense at all. It would make sense if the only advantage of synthetic oil were an ability to extend oil change intervals. That claim (of extended intervals) was made by the oil manufacturers when synthetic oil was first introduced in the 1970s, but they no longer do so. The primary advantages of synthetic oil are that it is less resistant to breakdown when very hot, and it flows better when very cold. And these advantages hold true regardless of how often you change your oil.

I think the main question is this: is it cost effective to put synthetic in the engine?

I have a feeling that for most drivers, it is not. Current oils are quite advanced and will adequately protect engines in most states in the US. Putting synthetics in the engine may be as cost effective as buying super premium gas for a car that only requires regular unleaded.

NSX_Dreamer said:
Putting synthetics in the engine may be as cost effective as buying super premium gas for a car that only requires regular unleaded.
That analogy doesn't make any sense, either.

Synthetic oil IS BETTER than conventional oil, as noted above. It may or may not be worth the extra cost - that's up to you - but it is certainly a superior product.

A higher octane gasoline does not provide ANY advantage to a car that does not require it and is not tuned for it.

nsxtasy said:
That analogy doesn't make any sense, either.

Synthetic oil IS BETTER than conventional oil, as noted above. It may or may not be worth the extra cost - that's up to you - but it is certainly a superior product.

A higher octane gasoline does not provide ANY advantage to a car that does not require it and is not tuned for it.
Yes, the point I'm making is that most people won't benefit from the extra expenditure for the benefit actually received.

NSX_Dreamer said:
Yes, the point I'm making is that most people won't benefit from the extra expenditure for the benefit actually received.
Which is pretty much a given when the benefit actually received is zero - as is the case with the gasoline, but not with the oil.

FYI, there are also some potential transmission concerns on the 2004 TLs.

There have been some complaints about the automatic transmission making noise at low speeds. The source is yet unknown, and may simply be an issue with the ABS or some other system that is not really tranny related.

Others have complained about the conservative shift points, particulary 4-5, which result in low engine RPM to the point of vibration and/or lugging of the engine.

Turning to the 6MT, there is a documented early-build mechanical defect that affected a few lower VIN cars, including mine. The transmission would pop out of first gear for no reason. This problme is said to be the result of a mismatched gear (not sure which shaft) in 1st. It appears that few, perhaps 5, cars were delivered to consumers with this problem.

Some are now reporting problems with the 6MT popping out of 2nd, but there is little information on that issue.

Still a great car and value, but caveat emptor is always a good idea.

So if I drive my car a few hundred miles a month, I am going to reap the benefits of synthetic oil over the three month period? Six hundred to 900 miles of normal driving in a three month period and the benefits will justify the costs? Driving is divided 50% in town and 50% freeway.

Dtrigg said:
So if I drive my car a few hundred miles a month, I am going to reap the benefits of synthetic oil over the three month period? Six hundred to 900 miles of normal driving in a three month period and the benefits will justify the costs? Driving is divided 50% in town and 50% freeway.
You can work the numbers based on your own needs, priorities, and opinions. 5.3 quarts times a difference in cost of $3/quart means that the difference in cost is around $16 per oil change. You'll then have to figure out the number of oil changes you will have over a given period to figure out the overall additional cost of synthetic. Then make an assumption to quantify the benefits; for example, if you think the chances of replacing a $20,000 engine are 1 percent lower with synthetic, that makes it worth about $200 of expected benefit on a probability basis during that same period. Also, some owners may derive additional benefit in peace of mind, from knowing that they are doing everything they can to take the best care of their car.

If you think it's worth it, use synthetic; if you don't think it's worth it, then use conventional oil. It's your car, your money, your decision.

I think we will just use "normal" oil for now in the TL. I will keep using Mobil 1 in the NSX though.

I would think anyone who knows the advantages of using synthetic instead of petroleum oil, would use synthetic.
I would, in turn, believe that those who know the advantages, but just aren't concerned, would use petroleum.

I, for instance, use Mobil 1 in my NSX, but petroleum in my Corolla.

Synthetic oil will, indeed, put more miles into the life of your car's engine. This is a fact.

I would then assume synthetic oil is more beneficial for those who want to acheive the longest possible life out of the engine they have.

My two cents,
Dave

Back