Mitsubishi Check Engine Light

I know this is an NSX forum, but I have an old beater 96 Galant that I keep around. The check engine light came on about a month ago. It seems to run fine. (knock on wood) I want to get it to turn off before anything happens. I know in Hondas, you can jump the wires and count the lights. Then you can refer to different sites that tells you how many lights flashing is what specific CEL code. Does anyone know if this is possible on Mitsubishi's? I searched forever online, but alas there are no Galant communities. Big surprise there! I just don't want to pay the money to take it to the dealership. It's not that great a car. Maybe I just might have to though. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Ha, enjoy the phantom CEL's the Mitsu throws out. If you're looking to find out what's wrong, you're most likely going to have to go to the dealership and be charged $80 to have the code pulled. If you just want it to go away, pull the "Engine" fuse in the fuse box and wait about 20 seconds before you put it back in. Sometimes a single misfire will cause it to stay on but reseting the ECU will make it go away. Hope it helps. Take care.

Conor

Thanks for that link! That's the cheapest reader I've ever seen. I'll buy it and try it. For that price, even if it didn't work, who cares!

Thanks for all the help guys. By the way, while I was checking the Mitsubishi message boards for info on this, I came across a post where a guy said he had an Accord, but was tired of being passed on the freeway and wanted to know if he could swap a turbo Eclipse engine into it. I kind of chuckled at that.

Macster said:
The "counting flashing light" thing you are talking about only applies to OBD I Hondas (pre 95). OBD 2 cars require some sort of reader or diagnostic tool.

On OBDII Honda's you can jump the connector and "count the flashes" aswell. I just did it to a 98 Prelude last week.

Back