Mistress needs new shoes.

I'm trying to decide between SO-3's (fugly tread pattern, but I'll live with it if they are the stickiest), or another set of Pilot Sports. Would like something a little stickier and would be willing to give up milage. Wanted the SO-2's but they didn't have my size. 215 40 17 and 265 35 18.

Then I saw this survey on Tire Racks web site. Anyone have the Nero's or the GS-3's? Are the results just skewed because of the milage for those two are so low?

Anyone have the Falken 451's that Mark sells? They look like a knock off off the Pilot, for a LOT cheaper.

If you have had Pilot Sports that you could compare to any of these I'd like to here about your opions.

Attachments

• tire rack survey.jpg
    tire rack survey.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 363
I have tried S-03s, MX and Pilot Sports. If you are looking for something close to Pilots, I would suggest Kumho MX. I personally liked it over S-03s. For some reason, regardless of what other people said about S-03s, I personally liked Pilots and MX more. Also, Kumho MX is affordable.. so why not give it a shot?

Pilots

I currently have pilot sports on oem 16/17's that I like. I did like so2's better, on 17/18 setup with a considerably wider tread pattern. Probably because more rubber was on the road, I felt like the cornering was stickier, but it may have been the so2's.

The main difference between Michelins and Bridgestones is the wet surface behaviour. The SO02s and 03s are much better there than Pilot Sport - less aquaplaning, way more predictable. In Magny-Cours (wet) I was about 5 seconds per lap better with SO 02s than with the Michelins (weired: it's the same situation with the tire brands in Formula 1).

When you only drive dry roads you may go with Michelins - they last much longer than the SOs.

What about changing the size a bit? 225 instead of 215 front (Maybe 225/35?) I use and used 225 in 16'' front wheels with good results on the street and wet track.

Since I'm moving from AZ to Northern Cal, wet behavior is going to be a lot more important. To go with S0-2's I'd have to go to a 205 50 17 or a 255 40. With a UTQG rating of 140 compared to 220 for the S0-3's you'd think the S0-2 would be a lot sticker? But the tests don't reflect it. But they are sure to wear a lot faster.

The Kumo's, while looking good were not really one I was considering, and they are not a lot cheaper then the S0-3 .

I was really looking for some feed back on the Goodyears and Falkens. Right now it's looking like S0-3's and that ugly tread pattern. Thanks for the responses.;)

ps this test was pretty interesting even though the car has little in common with the NSX. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/gy_f1_gs_d3_charts.html

Back