Minolta or Kodak for quality pics?

My search for a good digital camera under $300 has come down to a choice between the Kodak EasyShare DX4530 and the Minolta DiMAGE Z2. (Prices on site are not what I'm paying).

I'm sure more of you own the former, than the latter, just because it has been on the market longer.

I want to know which will give me the highest quality pictures (both at equal settings and not comparing which has more zoom/ less MP).

Thanks,
Dave

It depends what you want to use the camera for.

The Kodak is 5 MP but only 3x optical zoom. So you will be able to do larger prints, but a 3x zoom is very limiting. I wish my S50 had a better zoom on it. Also, the pix I have seen with Kodak camera are just OK.

The minolta is 4mp, so you will not be able to print as large, but the 10x optical zoom will offer you much more for your pictures. I have not seen any pics with a minolta, but I would doubt they would be worse then what I have seen with a HP.

Most digital cameras look pretty close on a computer screen. I can tell you my canon at the same MP as a kodak looks FAR better.

In this case, I would go with the minolta solely for the optical zoom.

I have the Minolta. Great little camera. Very little shutter lag, lots of options for tinkering with the exposure. Uses SD cards:( Much much better than my Nikon 880.

I have no experience with the Kodak, but I will say that other Kodak pictures I have seen have slightly richer colors-better algorithms?

Just bought the previous Konica-Minolta model DiMAGE Z-1 and I'm pretty satisfied - easy to use also for a digital newbie and really good for race fotos if you alter the program settings a bit manualy but also for landscapes etc.
The video mode is also okay for a non video camera. I would guess the Z-2 can do all these things even better.

I can send you a hi res example pic if you like. Just mailto: [email protected]

I'm going to go with the Minolta. Thanks for your input, everyone. Thanks for the hi-res pic samples, Wolfgang. I had my sights set on the Minolta.. just wanted to see if anyone would try to sway me towards the Kodak. One of the pics Wolfgang sent showed just how great the shutter speed is on the Minolta. I haven't heard as well about the Kodak.

Dave

Just FYI

Well, I changed my mind again and purchased a Kodak DX6490, after some fun trying to hunt down the Minolta. (The link is where I purchased it.) It is very similar to the Minolta Z2, except it has the Kodak Science chip and 1x less digital zoom, among other minor differences.
The reason for the change in decision, is because the "great deal" most sites were offering on the Z2 camera was for the JAPANESE version, all in Japanese language.. not mentioned on their sites; US version ~$150 more. So, Minolta buyers beware; do your research (phone calls to the site) before actually purchasing off the internet; under normal circumstances, the Minolta Z2 will be no less than $450 for the US version. FYI, a couple of the sites I am referring to are: amphotoworld.com and digitalliquidators.com, not to mention their horrible customer service phone lines. You could buy the camera and have it on your doorstep before you knew it was the Japanese version.. that's how vague these sites are.
I'm hoping to see those nice rich colors ncdogdoc mentioned.:)

Dave

www.dpreview.com

Helped me decied what digital and digital slr i was going to buy. A great website for information on cameras!:D

If you want my vote I would go with a Canon

Back