Might pull triger on this one.... But was it hit? JH4NA21662T000053

I have looked at several NSX over the last few months and this one looks good until I noticed that the rear bumper in several pictures does not match the rest of the car? Is this a camera thing, the guy at the dealer says it matches, but that is 800 miles away from me!

VIN: JH4NA21662T000053

Here is the link

http://www.f1scc.com/index_01.html

Let me know what you think. The car fax is showing good on the car, but I am still uneasy about it.

Re: Might pull triger on this one.... But was it hit?

Why not pay for a PPI to get done by the nearest Acura dealer? Or ask him to take better pictures and email it to you? If they are good about business, then they should have no problems doing that. The dealer I bought my NSX from took every picture I requested and then emailed them to me.

Also, post a thread in the regional forum to ask someone to take a look at it for you.

By the way, your link only takes you to their homepage. You have to navigate through their inventory to get to the car.

Here is a previous post by pbassjo on the subject of color matching Spa Yellow Pearl, but in his reply is some information about color matching from the factory on body panels. Here you go.................

Re: Is the Spa Yellow pearl hard to match when it comes to repainting rock chips?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Automotive paint that is pearl and/or metallic is not likely to blend or match if it is applied in any manner other than spraying. The mica and pearls will not lay down correctly and the spot will appear a different color, usually darker. You have to just live with it because respraying your car every time you get a few chips is just not cost effective. If done carefully a touch up will be a acceptable alternative to seeing a contrasting color spot where the chip is. Touch ups extend the life of your paint job and I touch up my chips too.
Chips are part of owning a NSX. It's going to happen sooner or later and especially of you do a lot of highway or track miles.

As for the pearl yellow being hard to match, straight off the showroom floor the bumpers don't match and often the vents or pillar garnishes don't match either, at least not to me. I know I'll hear from some folks who will say that their factory painted panels all match and I'm sure to you they do and that's all that matters... but they don't.

Honda and Acura bumpers don't match the body panels, throughout their product lines IMO.

Yes, the color can be matched but as with all colors you can't match what you can't see and that is the problem. You either see what is missing in the color or you don't. From what I've seen, in person, people with the yellow pearl NSX's who get them repaired/refinished seldom get the results they'd like.
The techs who are mixing/matching the color just don't know how to adjust the color or are unable to determine whether it is the base or the mid coat that needs adjusting.

I recently had to do a small repair to a Spa Yellow NSX quarter and the repair area was far enough from adjacent panels so that I could have blended within the panel and never get close enough to the adjacent panels to make a difference. Problem was that the bumper didn't match from the factory and I did not want someone to think that I painted the quarter and now the color didn't match the bumper, though the job I was doing wouldn't of came close to the bumper. I decided to match the color to bumper(not paint the bumper) and blend in that color in the quarter. The result was beautiful except the side I did now matches the bumper and the door but the factory side does not match the bumper. I just didn't want some wise guy to say "hey the paint don't match" when what they were seeing was the factory's work not mine so made sure MY side matched.

The problem is that these parts, that is the bumpers, vents, pillar garnishes, are painted at different times and places at the factory then the rest of the car.

Whew!
This got to be kind of a long winded post and I am not trying to make a commercial, just a explanation of the problems.

The color can be matched, just not by everybody. A good painter can't always tint color just like good singers can't always compose.

That is great to know. . So I should not be scared off by this. I have all the pictures I need, but that rear bumper does not look right, but if that can happen from the factory, humm.. intersting issue on a $80k Car!

Matt_337 said:
Why not pay for a PPI to get done by the nearest Acura dealer? Or ask him to take better pictures and email it to you? If they are good about business, then they should have no problems doing that. The dealer I bought my NSX from took every picture I requested and then emailed them to me.

Also, post a thread in the regional forum to ask someone to take a look at it for you.
I agree with everything Matt says.

One point I would add is, if you're really looking for an opinion on the presence (and quality) of body work, it is generally better to have a PPI done by a high-end body shop in the seller's area, rather than an Acura dealer without a body shop. (A PPI by the dealer is a good idea too, but is usually better for evaluating mechanical condition rather than body work.)

I would also add that, if the bumper was repainted but all the other panels were not, this is a sign that whatever damage was repaired was likely to only involve the bumper itself and therefore EXTREMELY minor - something so minor that it should not make you nervous or prevent you from buying. And, as pbassjo's comments imply, it's also quite possible that the bumper was never repainted at all.

i see what you mean on the color in the rear; keep in mind that hondas (mostly cars with metal / plastic panels meeting) are very hard to match and you can see a variation in color under different lighting conditions so it might look funny when you look at an angle and compare the metal rear quarter panel to the plastic rear bumper... that being said, a PPI would be a good idea anyway...

I'm no expert, but I would be willing to bet the bumper was replaced or repainted. How many NSXs have you seen with mismatched paint on the bumper?

Yes, it is true that many hondas do have mismatched paint(my TL bodykit doesn't match), but I doubt Acura would let a 90K car roll out of the factory with mismatched paint.

Even if the bumper is factory, would you want to drive around in an NSX with mismatched paint? It looks horrible to me.

Weird , I have seen 4-5 silver 02+ style nsx's and all seem to have the bumper issue , unless they all have been repainted it seems to be a standard thing with that color. Just my 2 cents

Seerex said:
Weird , I have seen 4-5 silver 02+ style nsx's and all seem to have the bumper issue , unless they all have been repainted it seems to be a standard thing with that color. Just my 2 cents

Odds are, if the pictures look that obvious, then it will look even more obvious in person. Especially under different lighting conditions. Either way, it seems like a repaint.

my1stnsx said:
I agree!!!:smile:
I don't. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I've seen enough NSXs to know that the color of the plastic bumper doesn't always match the rest of the car precisely, even on cars that have never been repainted. And the colors can change with the lighting conditions (and this can be exaggerated in a photograph).

A top-notch body shop looking at a car can tell you in an instant whether it was repainted. And probably wouldn't even charge you anything to do so.

Even if it was "hit", it could not have been too bad, since the rear lower valence seems to match perfectly. The front bumper cover looks to be an OK match, but that rear bumper cover has to be a repaint. I don't think a Honda product would leave the factory looking like that....especially an $80K one. Have them repaint the rear bumper cover, or credit you the amount it would cost you to have it repainted yourself. Also, have them include a guarantee that the car has not been involved in a significant accident where any other body panels have been repainted, or no deal.
As nice as high performance cars like the NSX are, serious customers for used supercars are pretty scarce, so I would say that you are definitely in the drivers seat with the dealership.

The actual link (frames suck, grr): http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AAFRt&vinNum=JH4NA21662T000053

picture1ds0.png

picture2ls7.png

picture3kk3.png

picture4id1.png

nsxtasy said:
I don't. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I've seen enough NSXs to know that the color of the plastic bumper doesn't always match the rest of the car precisely, even on cars that have never been repainted. And the colors can change with the lighting conditions (and this can be exaggerated in a photograph).

A top-notch body shop looking at a car can tell you in an instant whether it was repainted. And probably wouldn't even charge you anything to do so.

I still agree with the fact that I initially agreed! :wink:

Unless an photograph is severely under or overexposed, the camera does a good job in finding paint color differences. If Honda let the car out of the factory like that, then shame on them. Also, paint on plastic vs. metal tends to change more over time.

It does? :confused: There might be an ultra-slight variation in that pic. I am sure that is factory paint. There is no way that the above pics are factory paint!

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but this car is back on the market. I've got the Carfax but was wondering if anyone else has any info on it? Anyone recall what the price from F1 was? Thanks

Back