Mice eating car wires

http://acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91471

I just paid $397.84 to have my knock sensor cable replaced! The cable cost $5.66, labor was $360! The service tech told me the outer cable is made from a soy based product and rats, mice, etc. love to chew on them. According to him this is happening all over the country. Has anyone else heard of this? The replacement cable is the same as the original, soooo, I may be in for a similar bill every few months.

I just brought my '04 TL in for maintenance and because the check engine light was on. The service guy told me the engine light was on because a mouse chewed "the knock sensor wire." He said this was common in MDX's and older generation TL's. It's going to cost me over $300 to have it replaced. The wire itself is under $20 and the rest is labor.(over 4 hrs) Has anyone heard of this happening before? Does the repair cost sound high? He said he was going to show me the chewed wire.

Acura NsX Pilot said:

In my area pack rats are the problem. They build nests in the engine compartment of cars and chew through wires, hoses, and more. I recently sold my truck, because I didn't have room in the garage for it. This is after removing all of them from around the house. They will actually come from hundreds of feet away to nest in a car, although what they really like are motorhomes - I've seen some with literally thousands of dollars worth of damage.
:eek: :mad:

Rats chewed out the wiring harness on a friend's vette last week as well, so it happens. You'd think the toxic smell of gasoline, oil and exhaust would dissuade them from chewing on it... let alone building a nest to raise their precious young. :rolleyes:

-- Joe

Back