Meet Sally

Hello,
I thought I should introduce myself. I'm Rob from Northern Cal and this is my new (to me) '91 NSX (Sally). I'm a life long car guy, gearhead, on again, off again road racer. I raced 911's in the 80's & 90's and up until now, have been road racing a 300hp prepped Mini Cooper. I have wanted an NSX ever since a good racing buddy of mine (totaled his 911) showed up to the track with a bone stock, brand new NSX and got within a sec. or two of his fully race prepped 911's lap times. Now it's finally my turn. I plan on setting up this car for track days & SCCA/NASA club racing but still keeping it semi street legal:wink:

In the coming months, I will be making major changes & upgrades to get this car squared away for track days and club racing. Suggestions & recommendations welcome.

Specs (as purchased from pp)
1991 NSX w/35,590mi.
JH4NA1155MT001375
TSW 18x8.5 front and 19x11.5 inch powder coated matte black wheels
215/35 ZR18 Nitto NT555 tires
275/30 ZR19 Nitto NT555 tires
NSX R Gears
HR Sport Springs
Comptech Headers
Ark Exhaust System
CD/DVD/NAV
Amp, Speakers Upgraded (deleting)
10" sub w/Eclipse double din sound system (deleting)
Back up camera
Carbon Fiber Dash Inlay
STMPO Stress Bars
Concealed Radar Detector w/front and back sensors
Remote Alarm w/trunk opener
file-32.jpg

I was wondering where that car went :) Disappeared from the SF Craigslist and wondered if anyone bought it. Welcome to Prime
I'd been stalking NSX's for several weeks when this one popped up on CL late Saturday. With that few miles I knew I needed to act fast. I was the 1st to call and the deal was done Monday after PPI. She runs great but needs a few things, like shocks and springs but that was all coming out anyway for coil overs. Just getting started with my wish list:

Coil Overs
Bigger Bars
Big Brake kit
Oil Cooler
Brake Ducts
Racing shells w/6pt harness
Aero
etc.

Last edited:
welcome.The nsx makes a great trackday car. with the right mods you can really post some quick times.I'm sure there are local track oriented owners for you to learn more about these mods ect..Shad at driving ambitions is also a wealth of racing knowledge and has produced some amazing track /race cars.

Welcome! If you get a chance, can you post more pics of your car, especially from the side? I like your wheels and would like to see more angles. And the rear wheels aren't 11.5 inches wide, are they?

Welcome and nice car. Where in NorCal are you? The Sacramento NSX club has a few members who track their cars. Here is a link to our meeting page.
http://sacramento.nsxca.org/Meetings.htm
Tom
I'm in the bay area but will definitely check out the Sac club. I've already had several conversations with the guys at Driving Ambition.

Welcome! If you're interested in tracking, I would lose those big rims and replace with OEM 15/16 or 16/17 and good rubber. You won't believe the difference. Beacuse of its relatively low power, the real trick to a good track NSX is weight management. So, I would also recommend losing the amps and big speakers and repalcing with a regular stereo system. Finally, if you want the best street/track suspension on the market, go with a set of KW V3 coilovers. Soft as OEM on the street, but perform as good or better than NSX-R on the track. Brakes are remarkably good, especially on a near-stock car, and you really just need good fluid and pads. Finally, I recommend a set of the Dali street/race 19mm sway bars. This setup will give you many years of track enjoyment, while remaining a great street car.

Welcome! If you're interested in tracking, I would lose those big rims and replace with OEM 15/16 or 16/17 and good rubber. You won't believe the difference. Beacuse of its relatively low power, the real trick to a good track NSX is weight management. So, I would also recommend losing the amps and big speakers and repalcing with a regular stereo system. Finally, if you want the best street/track suspension on the market, go with a set of KW V3 coilovers. Soft as OEM on the street, but perform as good or better than NSX-R on the track. Brakes are remarkably good, especially on a near-stock car, and you really just need good fluid and pads. Finally, I recommend a set of the Dali street/race 19mm sway bars. This setup will give you many years of track enjoyment, while remaining a great street car.
Thanks Honcho, great call on the KW V3s as they are what I'm probably going with. The previous owner was a techy and much more interested in show than go. I'm in the process of removing most if not all of his influence including the ridiculous sound system tomorrow (Fri). I have the stock wheels too and plan on tracking the car with those initially. Thanks for your advise.

Coming from the Porsche world he will definately want to change the brakes. The stock ones on my 93 sucked bad enough that I decided to go with Stoptech fronts and RB Rear (which uses a bigger rotor and the stock calipers). I'm also a high boost CTSC which is another thing I would do if I was serious about going to the track. The stock car needs more oomph to compete with the modern machinery out today.

Coming from the Porsche world he will definately want to change the brakes. The stock ones on my 93 sucked bad enough that I decided to go with Stoptech fronts and RB Rear (which uses a bigger rotor and the stock calipers). I'm also a high boost CTSC which is another thing I would do if I was serious about going to the track. The stock car needs more oomph to compete with the modern machinery out today.
Bingo! Suspension, brakes, cooling ducts & aero are my initial priorities. I'm used to big Brembos and a big brake kit is at the top of my wish list after I dial in the suspension. I plan on testing at Sears Point to dial in the chassis sufficiently before I begin the process of adding HP. Sears is all corners and very short straights so high hp is of no advantage. My little Mini Cooper is a real heart breaker out there. When I'm finished, Sally is going to rip there hearts out.

Back