MD/VA/DC People: Skyline Drive meet?

A Corvette buddy of mine invited me to take the Corvette forums' semi-annual trip to Skyline Drive in Va on the weekend of 10/26. For those of you who have not driven on these roads, take a look at the following maps. The foliage season will be in full force in a few weeks, and this will be an excellent opportunity/excuse
wink.gif
to take your NSX out to the canyons.

map1.gif

map2.gif

Skyline drive is a blast. We're also planning an NSX drive for mid-November. To get on the mid-Atlantic NSX list, email me at [email protected] -Howard Stanton

Just FYI Skyline Drive tends to be crowded during that time of October. Little or no safe high-speed driving. The speed limit is 35MPH anyway and they do enforce. It is, however, a very scenic drive when the trees turn and certainly worth going on, just don't expect to be carving up any turns. If the weather is nice and the trees are in full color you will probably be lucky to even maintain the 35MPH speed limit for long.

By mid to late November it should be a lot emptier. During the middle of winter it's almost deserted, though there are still park rangers and deer, etc. so you still need to drive within reason.

Beware of going late to avoid the crowds. There is a LOT of wildlife that likes to jump out in front of your car. I've had several close calls at night even driving at or below the speed limit. If I'd been going fast I would have had a deer in the passenger seat.

Same holds true for the Blue Ridge Parkway. Personally I think the BRP is a better road than Skyline Drive, but Skyline is a much better day trip from the DC area due to location.

BTW it's $10/car to use Skyline Drive, so bring some cash.

Lud is right about the speed limit being enforced, but I believe it's 45mph. The views are stunning but be VERY careful at dusk- I saw about 20 deer in half an hour at dusk last fall! The middle part of the day should be fine.

*** OLD THREAD ALERT ***

This thread was an event from last year. I found this thread on a search for skyline drive in regards to the current thread. I missed DCNSX's comments at that time and wanted to reply just for general reference:

Unless something just changed, Skyline Drive is 35 MPH all the way through and the Blue Ridge Parkway is 45 MPH all the way through. A few spots are more like 25MPH for a few hundred yards near areas where lots of people tend to stop.

I've driven thousands of miles on both for many years... The Blue Ridge Parkway is a much better driving road in my opinion (plus it's free), but there is a lot of camping, hiking, etc. off Skyline Drive if that's your thing. And from the DC/NOVA/MD area Skyline Drive is a day trip while any serious driving on the Parkway is an over-nighter.

Back