Mclaren Mecedes

Mclaren Mercedes

Top Gear just tested the Mclaren Mercedes SLR... wow.. it is FAST.

It beat the merci around the track by 3 seconds. That is also faster than a Zonda and Koenigsegg.

I am still not crazy about the looks (hood too long), but there is no doubt it is a supercar!

You can watch the video on racingflix.com

Last edited:
I think that both the DB9 and the SLR (awesome cars) are really no competition for the next NSX.

One is a super-exotic in the Enzo, Carrera GT, Zonda, Saleen class. And many times the price of the NSX.

The other is a very refined, heavy, luxuirois GT car, more in the Ferrari 575 class. I can see a older gentleman buying these cars.

The new NSX will find real competition in the 911/360/Gallardo/new Esprit class.

I meant to ask, the brakes acutally catch on FIRE during the review.... that cant be a good thing??? Is that typical with ceramic brakes?

gheba_nsx said:
The other is a very refined, heavy, luxuirois GT car, more in the Ferrari 575 class. I can see a older gentleman buying these cars.
I don't know if the "older gentleman" image is true for the DB9. The car looks and performs great! I'm 21, and if I could, I would buy a DB9!

-Awais

Saw the mercedes SLR test driven in Africa somewhere by Ludracris on a MTV show. Ludrachris floored the SLR on some straight away and that thing went side ways with smoke coming out seemingly forever. It definitely has enough power! As far as looks only......I prefer the SL look over the SLR.

Here are a few pics of the SLR getting built at the factory.

slrfactory1.jpg

slrfactory2.jpg

slrfactory3.jpg

slrfactory4.jpg

slrfactory5.jpg

slrfactory7.jpg

slrfactory8.jpg

Wow. Thanks for the pix! That place looks immaculate.

I would have to agree with O-ace. I think the DB9 is every bit as attractive as any ferrari etc. out there. I think it appeals to all ages. If Bond uses one of those in the next movie, it will REALLY get a boost.

I've heard the SLR is a bad-ass car, but how good can its handling be? Look at the last picture: what are those, 1-inch rims? :D

One of my patients has a SLR on order. When she gets it she already said that she'll come by my office to show it to me. Maybe I'll even get to take it for a quick spin around the block.

O-Ace said:
I don't know if the "older gentleman" image is true for the DB9. The car looks and performs great! I'm 21, and if I could, I would buy a DB9!

-Awais

Never said it is ugly or slow or something else. I just said that it is more in the 575 class than the 360 class.

And the new NSX will definitly fight in the 360 category... the DB9 is well into the Gran Tourer kind of car (bigger, a little heavier, more refined/luxurious... maybe you know that the DB9 has a real crystal ashtray: I hope we do not get that kind of stuff in the new NSX :p).

I saw some scans from the Top Gear magazine (maybe it was on here?) and the Carrera GT beat the SLR on the track by 1-1.5 seconds

A coworker just shared the video clip of Top Gear's Carrera GT test drive. I'm not typically a fan of Porsche, but, if I had the money, I'd love to add the Carrera GT to my collection.

Back