Mazda goofs RX8 HP

Oops, I did it again... sounds like a britney song, but it is really Mazda admitting they messed up the HP figures for the RX8. First they did it with the miata... now once again.

It now only makes 238 HP and not the claimed 249.

Read about it here:

http://rotarynews.com/view.php?id=206

Here is the meat:

As of today, August 22nd, 2003, the revised US-Spec Horsepower Rating of the RX-8 is 238 HP for the Manual 6port RENESIS, and 197 HP for the 4port Automatic RENESIS. The performance numbers advertised ARE NOT CHANGING. They have done many tests, in house, with magazines, and outside third parties, and they are still observing RX-8's that will do 0-60 in 5.9-6.0 seconds and quarter mines in 14.5 (best observed 1/4 mile run at Pomona Raceway was 14.48 at 96.1 MPH)

Where are the buyers?

Has anyone *actually* seen an RX8 on the road? I haven't, only parked at dealerships. The local Mazda dealer advertised that it has 8 in inventory, two of which can be seen parked in front of the dealerhsip, alongside the value/subcompact models. They sure aren't treating the RX8 like it's anything special. At this rate, Mazda doesn't have to worry about buying any cars back, cause it ain't sellin'!

Re: Where are the buyers?

PHOEN$X said:
Has anyone *actually* seen an RX8 on the road?
I've seen at least 3 on road (blue, silver, and red). There were a couple at an autocross I attended Sunday. I briefly spoke with the owners. One fellow metioned he's noticed torque dropping off around 6000 RPM. He said power varies greatly with air tempurature, more than one would normally expect with NA.

The other guy said his felt very different, always pulling strongly at high revs. Both agreed that the computer "is too smart for its own good," suggesting the computer limits engine output more than it should.

BTW: That thing is a lot bigger (and much taller) than I thought it would be. :eek:

Re: Re: Where are the buyers?

Ojas said:
One fellow metioned he's noticed torque dropping off around 6000 RPM.

:

Funny, I drove it and I never noticed any torque period.. let alone it dropping off :)

Re: Re: Re: Where are the buyers?

NetViper said:
Funny, I drove it and I never noticed any torque period.. let alone it dropping off :)
Ouch, those be fighting words. Where are the Mazda guys. :D Anywho, are the dealers letting people test drive it now?

I drove the first one they got it. I work for a newspaper and the owner wanted me and the Classified Ad Manager to take one for a spin... so we did.

It was nice. The interior was nice and the quality seemed good.
I am sure it handles nice, but the accleration felt really bad, IMO. I know it does 0-60 in 5.9, but it feels like 7+. The S2000 pulls WAY harder from 6K than the RX8 does.

On the other hand, it was nice and quiet cruising at 80 MPH on the interstate..

Ojas said:
NetViper,

How did a rolling start feel, say accelerating from 25 mph (in first gear) to 80 mph? Did you shift at 9000 rpm? :)

It felt really weak. Seriously, it was sad. I am sure it is a great car and it would be fun to drive, but if you want ANY seat of the pants feeling of acceleration.. look elsewhere..

And yes, I shifted at 9K.. I acutally bumped the redline a few times because the car doesnt really strain too much up there. However, i did notice things start to rattle at 9K RPM.

Apparently at 6250 RPM, the "power port valves" are supposed to open. I read the valves never opened, cutting power by about 40 HP, on some early prototypes. Maybe this bug was never completely resolved (?).

Back