Masters in business - some questions

i'm considering my masters in business (specifically marketing). i'm graduating this may with my bachelors in CS and minor in marketing and math. Does anyone have any insight to how difficult a master's program is? also, what process would i have to go through to apply (or is it based on GPA of my college?)

Okie Okie,
tongue.gif

I live in Australia so things are probably different to the USA, but i completed a Masters in Information Technology last year. Here a Masters is considerably more difficult than a Bachelor degree. It requires more many hours spent on research + assignments/thesis, but less hours in lectures and tutorials. You have to be prepared to do and learn everything yourself; lectures only provide 'introductions' to issues. If you're self-disciplined and have good time-management it will make it a lot easier. (especially if u r juggling work/study)

I cannot be more helpful simply because the US education system is different to that in Australia. I hope what I said above helps although be aware i am describing Australian conditions.

BTW, all the best with it too.
icon14.gif

To apply, you must obtain a minimum score on a GMAT (Graduate Management Acceptance Test)for business. Each University is different, but a score above 500 normally is acceptable. GPA is not considered, except for a possible probation period. You can take the GMAT on line or at a specified location. Do a google search on GMAT.

Try to enroll in an off campus compressed program (two years max) in the evening, that caters to the working class. I found the programs less demanding than my BBA in Accounting, as far as the volume of homework. MBA's are applying what you have already learned (application) rather than memorization and theory in a group or team setting.

Originally posted by Slingshot:
GPA is not considered, except for a possible probation period. You can take the GMAT on line or at a specified location. Do a google search on GMAT.

GPA is considered and is a very important part of the application.

Here is the link for the GMAT info:
http://www.gmac.com/gmac/default.htm

Here is also a link of school rankings:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/mba/mbaindex.htm

Also, most good b-schools expect at least 2 years working experience from their applicants. There are also companies that offer tuition reimbursement programs for their employees so maybe finding a job after graduating 1st might not be a bad idea either.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 23 February 2003).]

A combination of total (GMAT scores times GPA) plus working experience (some universities are optional) are the requirements. Most of the time is going to be spent to do group meeting and consulting, so work expexience is helpful.

------------------
--
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP -> VROOM VROOM
'93 300SE MBZ

Back