manual steering to power steering conversion

I will refrain from editorial comments but in the 5 years I have been hanging around I have never heard of such a thing.

I have also not seen anyone:

- convert from manual to automatic
- convert from alloy to steel rims w/covers
- convert the stereo to mono

:)

Ok - I tried not to editorialize!

It should be possible, though I do not specifically know of anyone who has done it.

You'd need to replace the rack with the PS rack and add the electronics. Not sure exactly what else would be needed, probably a bunch of small miscellaneous parts. Check out this parts diagram to get an idea http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991-1998_repair_catalog/parts6.jpg

I don't think it would be that big a deal other than the fact that the actual power steering mechanism is expensive. The chassis is built to be fitted with either one.

Uh, why? Is the car going to be driven by a female?

Don --

You can achieve a lighter steering effort by adjusting front alignment toe settings and using a narrower tire. Interestingly, one of the first requests from the Japanese drivers racing in the S-Tai Super Taikyu endurance race in Japan was to lighten the steering. Retrofitting EPS to the car was considered, and is still being looked into.

-- Chris

The DON said:
Has anybody done this before? Is it even possible?

Volume 9 of the "VTEC Sports" Magazine, the same folks who publish the Hyper Rev Magazine has an article about retrofitting the power steering system to a non power steered car.

The particular car in question is a NA1 version of the NSX (manual) to which a power steering system of an automatic is retrofitted.

From what the article states there are several components that need to be swapped or added on. Fortunately all NSX's even the manual ones have the right hooks to have a Power Steering system retrofitted.

The cost that has been quoted in the article is about: 520,000 yen or about $4,000, that's not really that cheap :(.

They don't really quote part numbers but they do quote the name of the parts.

Ken

Matteni, I once converted the stereo to mono by blowing out one of my speakers. Of course, I then converted back by replacing speaker.

If anything though you would want to have the electric power steering or a variable power steering so you don't get 'too much' assist at higher speeds...dangerous thought.

Best idea is to live with it, unless you have to parrellel park on hills in tiny spaces. :D

If you have ever driven a NSX with power steering, you wouldn't want to change yours. There really is no reason to.

Hey KGP, who says that a girl can't drive with the manual steering?:D :D :D :D

NSXGirl4j said:

Exactly! I should have said 90 pund weakling. ;) TheDon: the young lady bellow has no trouble flogging a manual NSX around!
angie.jpg

Last edited:
NSXGirl4j said:
If you have ever driven a NSX with power steering, you wouldn't want to change yours. There really is no reason to.

I have to respectfully disagree. The NSX's power steering is one hell of a piece of engineering that tremendously increases the joy of driving the car. I currently have both a 1992 manual coupe and 1997 T. I always thought the steering effort on the coupe is a little too excessive in low speed. I found myself straining parallel parking. My T is perfect in low speed, and above 30mph, the power steering feels just as precise as the coupe's manual steering with same effort and road feedback. In fact, one of the biggest reason why I decided to keep the T instead of the coupe is the T's steering. It simply offers best of both world. In today's emphasis in ergonomics, there is no reason to keep the He-man's idiosyncracy such as heavy controls and steering. Honda went extra steps to design such a wonderful device to make the car more user friendly. It is a good thing.
Steve

Wheel offset has a big impact on steering effort. I used to use +38mm 17x8 with 215/40/17 in front. When I got new wheels that were +45mm 17x8 with 215/40/17 (same tires, too, I actually had them taken off the old rims), I was surprised at the profound reduction in steering effort. For comparison, the stock offset is +55 in front.

Tire pressure also has a big impact on low-speed steering effort. The difference between being on the low side at 30psi, and being on the high side at 35psi is pretty dramatic.

-Mike

Last edited:
DanO said:
Heart Racing did it to their NSX race car at Pete Halsmer's request.

I've had both, power on my 95 and manual on my 99. IMO the power is better due to quicker turn in. This is also the reason Pete Halsmer wanted it on his race car.

The DON said:
Has anybody done this before? Is it even possible?

Yeah, i know this thread is a little old, but i thought I might ad my .02 (after taxes only worth .013 of course)

I did a manual--> power steering conversion on my Toyota Landcruiser. NOt the same vehicle, but principle is similar. BASIC power steering is extremely, well, basic. If you are not shooting for a nifty speed sensing unit, but just easier turning in the parking lot, then it is elbow grease intensive, but pretty simple (2-3 banana job).. you would need a PS pump, with the appropriate bracket...that would be by far the most difficult thing to get if your engine does not have the appropriate holes pre-drilled...who has the cajones to start drilling an NSX block? Let's assume the holes are there, and you buy a stock PS pump, and find a junkyard bracket, custom fab the PS lines (total cost about $30-40). I had a guy manufacture a PS pump bracket, cost me $89 and bolts to my engine mount bolts, so i didn't have to drill my block.

The PS box itself would bolt up to the stock location, possibly with the stock PS box bracket, OR with a custum one made at a machine or welding shop ($200+/-). This would give you the basic PS setup that most cars have, minus the electronix wizardry necessary for speed sensing, etc..

Volume 9 of the "VTEC Sports" Magazine, the same folks who publish the Hyper Rev Magazine has an article about retrofitting the power steering system to a non power steered car.

The particular car in question is a NA1 version of the NSX (manual) to which a power steering system of an automatic is retrofitted.

From what the article states there are several components that need to be swapped or added on. Fortunately all NSX's even the manual ones have the right hooks to have a Power Steering system retrofitted.

The cost that has been quoted in the article is about: 520,000 yen or about $4,000, that's not really that cheap :(.

They don't really quote part numbers but they do quote the name of the parts.

Ken

I know this is an old thread, but bumping if anybody has this issue or knows what is all needed. I have searched quite a bit.

I'm curious as well

I know this is an old thread, but bumping if anybody has this issue or knows what is all needed. I have searched quite a bit.

WHOA!!! :eek: Talking about bringing back from the dead...I think you might have the longest time gap between posts.

Have some experience with Electric car conversions. For power steering pump unit I would use a Toyota MR2 electric pump, can be mounted anywhere. What power rack/ratio would you use? This idea would sort of defeat Honda's precise suspension and handling design. Don't recomend butchering this fine machine. The factory NSX electric rack is just as exotic as the car itself and is the only production variable rate power rack I've heard of. See: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm
I would stay with the Acura design power or no power for an NSX My $.02
Stephen
Yeah, i know this thread is a little old, but i thought I might ad my .02 (after taxes only worth .013 of course)

I did a manual--> power steering conversion on my Toyota Landcruiser. NOt the same vehicle, but principle is similar. BASIC power steering is extremely, well, basic. If you are not shooting for a nifty speed sensing unit, but just easier turning in the parking lot, then it is elbow grease intensive, but pretty simple (2-3 banana job).. you would need a PS pump, with the appropriate bracket...that would be by far the most difficult thing to get if your engine does not have the appropriate holes pre-drilled...who has the cajones to start drilling an NSX block? Let's assume the holes are there, and you buy a stock PS pump, and find a junkyard bracket, custom fab the PS lines (total cost about $30-40). I had a guy manufacture a PS pump bracket, cost me $89 and bolts to my engine mount bolts, so i didn't have to drill my block.

The PS box itself would bolt up to the stock location, possibly with the stock PS box bracket, OR with a custum one made at a machine or welding shop ($200+/-). This would give you the basic PS setup that most cars have, minus the electronix wizardry necessary for speed sensing, etc..

Last edited:
Back