Major Engine failure

I blew two engines in my 2002 Boxster S before 32k km, both replaced by Porsche. It was tracked fairly regularly. So much for their claims it has an"integrated dry sump" !

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

The oiling system used by Porsche is not a true dry sump; oil is held in a series of internal chambers within the engine, using a somewhat conventional oil pump, rather than inside of an external reservoir.

In terms of the practical application, the result is similar; the engine can be mounted lower due to reduced clearance requirements, and there is less oil on moving components within the engine, reducing power loss. Were your failures the result of oil starvation?

Before I purchased my NSX I was considering a circa 2005 Boxster S or a slightly earlier 911 but was horrified by the number that had replaced engines. I am very pleased with the NSX, other than the usual problems with the Bose stereo the car has been 100% trouble free and IMO much more exciting to drive than this era of Porcshe's although sometimes I do miss the sound of 4 double barrel Webbers and a flat crank V8 that my previous ride (74 F 308 GT4) had, but thats about the only thing I miss!!!
Italian electrics and the quality of the Russian steel that they used in the 70s/80s left a lot to be desired!

Back