Maintenance and repair advice

baynsac

First I would like to start of by saying I been following your guys great site nsxprime and picked up all kinds of information since I was a junior in high school. THANKS I been in total love with this car and know I FINALLY HAVE ONE. Well its on its way be here in a week or 2 at the most (Being shipped). I saved up money over my active duty time and soon I will have it. Oh the problem now is I got the car inspected by Acura dealership in Chicago Paully Acura. They said car looks great except there are few issues the car has been a one owner car driven by a lady doctor and only has 38000 miles and its a 1991 . It has a good service history at the 2 dealerships in Chicago till now where some issues have been found but not taken care of like
1. tires probably need to be changed ( within a year)
2. water pump and timing belt need to be changed
3. Oil leak valve cover - Was replaced by Mc grath Acura and now is leaking oil but they wont warranty thier work so you know how that goes.
4.PUSHING OVER BRAKE FLIUD IN THE MODULATOR. WHICH I heard WILL COST $3600 TO FIX is this TRUE?? I hope not
5. Evaporator going bad
6. left and right speaker is not working good
In what order should I get these fixed and how can I save some money and what are my options if you were in my shoes to do to the car. Is this nornal for wear and tear over the 14 yrs and 38k miles or too many problems??
Any one know a good deal on shipping cars from Chicago to San Francisco?
Thanks again for you advice and help

Re: Please HELP

After owning a used 1995, and on my second NSX (2003), here are my suggestions:

Get the alignment done when change tires. The inner wall of the front tires will wear out faster due to the negative camber, so you want to replace it with a tire that have the same tread on both side, so you can do left and right rotation around every 6000 miles. I got 20k miles from each tires after I started that practice. You don't need OEM tires, some other brand will do fine.

Timing belt, get it done ASAP, of course do the water pump at the same time. I highly recommend you to find a tech that will drop the engine, so they can do a cleaner job. Also, if the head gasket needs to be replaced, you can have it done at the same time. Replace all the hoses are highly recommended, so you don't have to deal with it at a later time. Make sure you also do a leak down test to find out the condition for the head gasket. I had a major problem with the head gasket and cost me another set of labor cost of $2200 - two months after I had the T-belt done. Speakers can be repair, there is a guy on ebay will do it for 80 bucks each side (search under “nsx speaker”; however you will have to remove it your self and there are probably 50 screws you'll have to deal with on both doors and the speak mount. Or you can just have the entire audio system replaced, you can buy a new center console cover on SOS or Daliracing, which allow you to cut into the plastic to fit after market head unit. You can probably get some money out of the original centerpiece if it's in good condition.

Well, I'm not experience with other problems you're facing, so hopefully other members can help you out.

Vance

These are not uncommon problems for an NSX that is of this age. yes thoes miles are low but age has its effects too..

1 get some new tires
2 38k is low miles for timing belt, 14 years makes it due by age for sure, however If the car was stored indoors I would not be in big hurry.
3 Valve cover gaskets are not that difficult...go for it
4 give the car some agressive braking and see if the cross bleeding persists.
5 the evaporator is a nasty job, you need to find an NSX proficient shop to do this for you.
6 BrianK does good amp repairs from what I hear.

congrats on your car it really is the best japanese sports car ever... :smile:

Even with the low mileage, the tires could probably be too old for its age. Please note that once the tires been driven, even it had low mileage, the compound will get harden as it aged. It might compromise the performance...

I also not a big fan of the stock tires, especially in street driving, and also think they are over priced. (This is a big bait for the "Mr. blue man" ;) ) I will recommend the following Max. performance tires: Best wet performance: Bridgestone S03, Best value: Kumho MX, Best all rounded: Toyo T1S. Note, these tires are all label Summer tires which not only they are good in wet and dry, they could even passed for Track use, I had first handed experience with the Kumho and Toyo that they don't grip much on Snow/ice. so beware...

4.PUSHING OVER BRAKE FLIUD IN THE MODULATOR. WHICH I heard WILL COST $3600 TO FIX is this TRUE??
What does this mean?? Can you elaborate?

yaynsx said:
3. Oil leak valve cover - Was replaced by Mc grath Acura and now is leaking oil but they wont warranty thier work so you know how that goes.
4.PUSHING OVER BRAKE FLIUD IN THE MODULATOR. WHICH I heard WILL COST $3600 TO FIX is this TRUE?? I hope not
5. Evaporator going bad
In what order should I get these fixed and how can I save some money and what are my options if you were in my shoes to do to the car.

Brakes are number one in my book, gotta be able to stop. I can't tell what is wrong by your decription, but if it is a master cyl (common after 14yr) then a few hundred is reasonable. An immediate second in my book would be the timing belt, unless you like gambling. It is an interference engine, which means that if it breaks you'll be spending multiple thousands. Tires need to be decent to drive on, tread as well as dry rot. Check them out. I personally would do ALL of the above before driving much.

Evaporator means the A/C will not function, and is $$$. No harm in not fixing it soon as long as you leave the A/C off. Speakers are an eay repair, contact Briank on thie board (capacitors fail due to heat, he replaces them). Valve covers need resealed, but it just makes a mess until you can. Get them replaced by someone who knows what is going on when you get a chance (might as well get a valve adjustment and the cam plugs swapped while you are at it).

Good advice from others...

OEM tires offer the "no compromise" performance that the NSX was designed for. However, if desired there are other very capable tires available.

As NSXDreamer2 mentioned, Bridgestone S0-3's are an excellent tire, albeit at a premium price! S0-3's also can be swapped FL <-> FR & RL <-> RR if so desired to increase treadlife as they are not corner specific (though they are unidirectional).

I'd personally recommend the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. They are a phenomenal tire for the NSX, and priced rather competively being a max. ultra high-performance tire. IMHO, they are almost as good as OEM. Definitely a notch above any Kumho or Toyo street tire.

If you are more concerned w/ treadlife and willing to give up some of the sharp/precise handling the NSX is capable of, there are the Yokohama AVS ES100 & Sumitomo HTRZ II tires. Both offer great wet/dry traction and excellent treadlife, as well as being priced about < 1/2 the cost of OEM.

As far as your brake matter, it maybe related to brake-master/slave cylinder, which is an age-related issue.

If you are talking about the abs reservoir overflowing, do a search. This happens & is usually easy to fix. You need to brake hard on some sand or something to egage abs. Find an empty parking lot or desolate back road. This will free up the stuck abs solenoid.

yaynsx-

Congrats on your car. It will give you the ride you have alwasys dreamed about.

As far as the tires. Well, do some research on the tires & wheels forum here

My comment is for tires only. The other issues are addressed by others.
The bridgestone S03's are the premier tire. There are many others and it is a very opiniated subject. I replaced my Bridgestones with the the Kumo Ecsta's.
I have been very happy with this tire and I can highly reccommend them.
You will need to replace the tires ASAP. Buy them at the tirerack here

Good luck and congrats again! :wink:

One question about tire.

Could we consider to permute only tires IOW put the left side tire on the right side wheel and vice versa.

At only the cost of removing, installing and balancing tires we can extend its duty life...

At least it will equilibrate wear...

yaynsx said:
how can I save some money

Order the parts from Acura of Escondido, and install them yourself. That is if you have the mechanical ability and the time. I just did the timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gaskets myself. I saved a bunch of money on labor that's for sure :biggrin:

This is done...

effer said:
One question about tire.

Could we consider to permute only tires IOW put the left side tire on the right side wheel and vice versa.

At only the cost of removing, installing and balancing tires we can extend its duty life...

At least it will equilibrate wear...

This is a concept some people have done to great success! Though, it tends to be a time commitment and added cost ($10-20/tire to remount/balance/install).

Just make sure:

1. Your tires are NOT corner specific like the OEM tires; this means the left front tire was meant to be on the left front corner as it has a 'bias' in it's construction which enhances handling.

2. You have to be diligent & consistent in swapping the tires from one side to the other side. For aggressive gripping ultra-high performance tires, I'd advocate swapping at 2,500-3,000 miles; for harder compound, longer lasting tires, 4,000-5,000 miles. Leaving the tires on longer would promote greater characteristic NSX-treadwear (front tires w/ aggressive inner wear; same for rear if neg. camber or highway/straight driving pattern) therefore causing vibrations and unsettled handling if swapped too late.

Maybe coordinate your oil-changes w/ side-2-side tire swapping!
icon3.gif

Re: Good advice from others...

Osiris_x11 said:
OEM tires offer the "no compromise" performance that the NSX was designed for. However, if desired there are other very capable tires available.

As NSXDreamer2 mentioned, Bridgestone S0-3's are an excellent tire, albeit at a premium price! S0-3's also can be swapped FL <-> FR & RL <-> RR if so desired to increase treadlife as they are not corner specific (though they are unidirectional).

I'd personally recommend the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. They are a phenomenal tire for the NSX, and priced rather competively being a max. ultra high-performance tire. IMHO, they are almost as good as OEM. Definitely a notch above any Kumho or Toyo street tire.

If you are more concerned w/ treadlife and willing to give up some of the sharp/precise handling the NSX is capable of, there are the Yokohama AVS ES100 & Sumitomo HTRZ II tires. Both offer great wet/dry traction and excellent treadlife, as well as being priced about < 1/2 the cost of OEM.

As far as your brake matter, it maybe related to brake-master/slave cylinder, which is an age-related issue.

The SO-3 tires probably should not be moved left to right and so on because the ARE unidirectional.

53heloFE said:
Order the parts from Acura of Escondido, and install them yourself. That is if you have the mechanical ability and the time. I just did the timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gaskets myself. I saved a bunch of money on labor that's for sure :biggrin:

Congrats for your mechanical abilities!

I think it is not something everybody can do!

I would like to be able to do it myself, any advices?

I am not too dumb, methodic and concerned by doing a good job.

What's happening when your redline is a couple hundreds rpm lower than before after changing your timing belt?

Thanks Osiris_X11 !

Thanks for your help guys, Does anyone know how much will it cost me to do these
Oil leak valve cover - Was replaced by Mc grath Acura and now is leaking oil but they wont warranty thier work so you know how that goes.
5. Evaporator going bad

Any one know or can anyone give me a estimate of how much I will be spending?? Thanks
Thanks for your help guys, Does anyone know how much will it cost me to do these
Oil leak valve cover - Was replaced by Mc grath Acura and now is leaking oil but they wont warranty thier work so you know how that goes.
5. Evaporator going bad

What DO you mean?

Chumch said:
The SO-3 tires probably should not be moved left to right and so on because the ARE unidirectional.

Bridgestone S03's may be swapped Left <-> Right. Yes, they are unidirectional but they are not corner specific. You have to dismount the tire from the wheel, obviously. Otherwise if not dismounted, but just installed on the other side w/ the existing wheel (ie. rotated), the tread-pattern would be facing the wrong direction. Make sense? Draw it out if you have to!

yaynsx said:

I think many of us don't understand what you mean. Can you please restate it, as-written it doesn't make much sense.

I believe there are some very proficient NSX tech' people on this forum. Use the search to look for "Larry Bastanza" and "Mark Basch" off the top of my head... pm/email them for more info.

Call a few Acura dealerships who service NSX's and ask them for a quote on a particular job, that'll give you some ballpark figure.

Goodluck.

Re: What DO you mean?

You asked for prices, so here they are BALLPARK:
yaynsx said:
OEM tires for 16/17s are $850ish, you can get cheaper.
yaynsx said:
$1500 give or take
yaynsx said:
Might as well get a valve job & cam plug swapped at the same time as the timign belt. Add another $500 to be very safe.
yaynsx said:
Can't say what the problem is without more detail. Abd exercise could be free. New brake master is a couple hundred, or could be something else entirely.
yaynsx said:
5. Evaporator going bad
$2-3K from what I read
yaynsx said:
~$200 to get the caps replaced if you take out the amps yourself and send them somewhere. BrianK is the guy to talk to.

yaynsx said:
4.PUSHING OVER BRAKE FLIUD IN THE MODULATOR. WHICH I heard WILL COST $3600 TO FIX is this TRUE??

makes sense to me...when the solenoid valves in the modulator do not seal properly the brake fluid transfers from the master cyl into the modulator reservoir....happens on older honda/acura ALB/ABS all the time..exercise the ABS with a good Italian tune up and then see if the problem persists.

Back