Main Relay

I have a 1995 NSX. Driving it yesterday it stopped running. But it started right back up. This morning it will not run. It starts and it immediately shuts off. I am think it could be the main relay. I have a main relay I purchased many years ago. I have removed the panels behind the seats. I think the main relay is the box that says Mitsuba Retracter control 12V. I purchased a main relay many years ago and put in the trunk. It has written on it JD141T2-12V RZ-0105 RZ052 Relay ass Main. It looks like I might be able to connect the existing wires to this unit. Is the Mitsuba Retractor the main relay? I will try to attach pictures. If so will the Main relay I have work or should I purchase another one.

I would appreciate the help.NSX 2.jpgNSX 3.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3
No, the retractor control unit controls the headlight motors. The main relay is behind the passenger seat next to the ECU.

Thank you for the quick reply. I found the main relay in the 1/4 panel on the passenger side. Replaced the main relay and it did not fix the problem. It still starts and shuts off right away. Do you any suggestions on what could be causing this?
Thanks

If the engine runs when you have the key in the start position; but, it dies as soon as you release the key to the run position there is a high probability that the problem is a worn ignition switch. The service manual (pg 23-72) sets out the process for removing and testing the switch. You can find a link to the 1991 SM in the NSX Prime Library.

Sometimes you can rehabilitate the ignition switch by carefully popping off the white plastic cover and cleaning and burnishing the contacts
IMGP4082.JPG
That may restore operation. However, the ignition switch is subject to wear and used to be relatively inexpensive so I would install a new one even if you get the old one to work.

On the up side, if your car is a 1995 and it still had the original Main EFI relay your effort was not a total waste. A new main relay in a 1995 would be a good thing.

If the engine runs when you have the key in the start position; but, it dies as soon as you release the key to the run position there is a high probability that the problem is a worn ignition switch. The service manual (pg 23-72) sets out the process for removing and testing the switch. You can find a link to the 1991 SM in the NSX Prime Library.

Sometimes you can rehabilitate the ignition switch by carefully popping off the white plastic cover and cleaning and burnishing the contacts
View attachment 193342
That may restore operation. However, the ignition switch is subject to wear and used to be relatively inexpensive so I would install a new one even if you get the old one to work.

On the up side, if your car is a 1995 and it still had the original Main EFI relay your effort was not a total waste. A new main relay in a 1995 would be a good thing.
Thank you for the reply. I will review the info in the service manual and see if I can do that.

Back