MA trying to ban aftermarket exhausts

I was looking for some entirely different info on emissions and ran across this:

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=32598

It’s Back! Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Resurfaces - March 2004

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

After being stalled since last year, a bill (H.B. 1722) to ban the sale or installation of “an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust” has been approved by the Massachusetts Joint Committee on Public Safety. It has not been revised from last year’s version and remains an extremely damaging piece of legislation. The bill has now been referred to the House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee.

Call or E-Mail the Members of the Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Request Their
Opposition to H.B. 1722

• H.B. 1722 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

• H.B. 1722 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

• H.B. 1722 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

• H.B. 1722 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

<list of legislators deleted>

robr said:
I• H.B. 1722 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

That is a good one. I'll have to remember that for future reference . . .

As for the exhaust bill, pointless but not uncommon. Most states, including WI, already have such ambiguous legislation on the books, AFAIK.

Yeah WI's is a joke. It says any exhaust other than factory is basically illegal. So that also means that a Car-X or Meineke etc would also be illegal. Also in the law it says it must not be 1 single db louder than OEM. First off, how does a cop know the exact db of every single car mfg? They vary from probably 80-95 db stock. That is where the 95 db 50 state legal thing comes from. But according to WI law, if your civic left the dealer with a 85 db muffler, and years later you went to Sears or Car-x and got a replacement, and it was now 86 db it would be illegal. When ever I get harrassed by a cop, I state the part about it being the same or less than when it left the factory. I ask the cop if he can tell me the exact db that my car should be? He obviously does not know. I lie and state that my car was 94 db new and I want it tested. 100% of the time I get a warning. BUT I do know of several people that WI cops gave them tickets right off the bat no questions asked.

The 95 db 50 state legal means nothing. BUT it should! It is a federal rating, and I think all states should follow it.

95dB at what distance? i would HOPE states wouldn't follow this. that would make most of us illegal in loudness who are running around with taitec, hks, anytime, etc :P.

- rob, blackflagged at friggin lime rock who won't allow over 85dB at 50'!!!! come on..... 85 at a race track?!??

Mass is pretty tough. i heard that if you're caught street racing they impound your car and sell it at auction. by no means do i condone street racing, but that seems a bit much.

ive lived in MA almost my whole life and even I haven't heard that one. last i knew they'd hit you with all sorts of charges like reckless driving, driving to endanger, speeding, excessive speed (which is different than speeding) and a few others if they want to really bust your balls.

yeah, i thought it was pretty hard to believe myself, but a few guys i met at limerock from a mass. based car club swore that was the case. apparently they have had acquaintances that lost their vehicles from this 'law'.

who knows. probably more to the story.

just telling what i heard.

Well you can marry who you want in Mass., but you can't have a loud exhaust. Go figure.

Back