M3 SMG E46 and NA2 NSX

I think they are both equal in performance on the straightaways. The NSX will however edge out a car length by 100mph.

So here's the story, I was going on an uphill and there was a 1997-2004 Corvette Burgandy in La Jolla, CA behind by 3 cars. I was the first car on the stop light. I just out accelerate every car (not racing), and from behind I see the Vette trying to cut the cars to get to me (10 car lengths behind), so I redline up the hill. The SMG mode is normal and the engine mode is normal, but however from 10 cars behind the damn vette caught me and passed me within 1/2 a mile. Now that is fast. I believe it has to be at least a 2000 Vette as they are faster then the 1997s. I never tested the M3 against my own 97 automatic vette, but I'm sure it would lose to that Vette. Once he passed me I let off immediately. There was no cars in slight and the road was straight and an uphill so that's why I even did it. I'm not a street racer and this happened about 2 years ago. Just sharing for general knowledge for the community. The SMG is bone stock.

My wife has a 04" Corvette auto and we have a 05" SMG. It might be a good race but my money's on the M3. I don't know if your new to your SMG ,but try pressing the sport button and turning off the DSC. This will give you the true M3 expeirence. Also what does this have to do with the NSX?

Well this is just to say that the NSX NA2 and the M3 SMG is pretty equally matched.

When I was driving the M3 the DSC was ON and the sport mode was OFF (both a NO NO, but I wasn't really in the racing mentality). How much of a difference you think was there between the two settings?

BIIIIIIIIIIG difference :eek:

It's actually addictive I alway's have to tell myself to leave it off or I'll burn up all my gas!

NA2 or any NSX are deceptive in speed feel. They're so smooth you don't realize how fast your going. Where as the C5 alway's let's you know. Their nice cars they just feel a little disconnected in driving expierence compared to the two you mentioned.

NSXs and M3s are pretty slow by '05 standards. Heck, you can buy a big 'ol luxury barge MB to wipe the floor with both of them in a straight line. Current state-of-the-art is >= 500 HP. NSXs and M3s need aftermarket forced induction to even play at the level of current production cars.

Any of the supercharged AMG 55s or v12 600s or turbo AMG 65s. Four door or two - do you have a preference?

Nope that's that , but would either compete as either car with supercharger would only gain about a hundred horse?

WingZ said:
Nope that's that , but would either compete as either car with supercharger would only gain about a hundred horse?
Sorry, my IQ is over 150, but I don't understand your response. Stock NSXs and M3s are slow - fact. You can do any aftermarket thing you want - as did I. But current stock MBs are faster than the BMWs and NSXs currently on the market - was I unclear about that?

I agree with this "NSXs and M3s are pretty slow by '05 standards"
But must add, "In a straight line".
I believe an NSX would whip some serious ass on a road course
with the cars mentioned on this thread. :biggrin:

MCM said:
I agree with this "NSXs and M3s are pretty slow by '05 standards"
But must add, "In a straight line".
I believe I implicitly confirmed this in my second sentence. But a low-end lotus would spank an NSX in a twisty course. Time for a redux...

Dinan M3 said:
NSXs and M3s are pretty slow by '05 standards. Heck, you can buy a big 'ol luxury barge MB to wipe the floor with both of them in a straight line. Current state-of-the-art is >= 500 HP. NSXs and M3s need aftermarket forced induction to even play at the level of current production cars.

In this post you made reference to both cars needing forced induction to play at MB's level. I was asking if the 100hp a supercharger would add to either could make a difference since the Mercedes are still about a hundred hp ahead ( ie 493hp ).

WingZ said:
In this post you made reference to both cars needing forced induction to play at MB's level. I was asking if the 100hp a supercharger would add to either could make a difference since the Mercedes are still about a hundred hp ahead ( ie 493hp ).
Power-to-weight is what performance is all about - the MBs are heavy, so if you add 100 RWHP to an NSX or M3, yes - you'd be in the right ballbark and the driver differences would be the deciding factor on a road course...

Dinan M3 said:
Power-to-weight is what performance is all about - the MBs are heavy, so if you add 100 RWHP to an NSX or M3, yes - you'd be in the right ballbark and the driver differences would be the deciding factor on a road course...

If that's the case then your Zanardi must really go!

WingZ said:
BIIIIIIIIIIG difference :eek:

It's actually addictive I alway's have to tell myself to leave it off or I'll burn up all my gas!

NA2 or any NSX are deceptive in speed feel. They're so smooth you don't realize how fast your going. Where as the C5 alway's let's you know. Their nice cars they just feel a little disconnected in driving expierence compared to the two you mentioned.

Actually the sport mode is quite useless. It doesn't make the car accelerate any faster than it would turned off. Also it wouldn't really matter about the DSC unless you were chirping every shift. :wink: What really would of helped was if you were in S6 mode instead of normal mode. :biggrin:

NsSeX said:
Actually the sport mode is quite useless. It doesn't make the car accelerate any faster than it would turned off. Also it wouldn't really matter about the DSC unless you were chirping every shift. :wink: What really would of helped was if you were in S6 mode instead of normal mode. :biggrin:

Sport mode is what engages S6.

I don't know if it was the savage gearbox which make it felt a lot faster but my dads M3 seemed quite a bit faster than our NSX, even perhaps, a different league...

robfenn said:
I don't know if it was the savage gearbox which make it felt a lot faster but my dads M3 seemed quite a bit faster than our NSX, even perhaps, a different league...

What's a "Savage gearbox"?

I meant the savage gearchange, with the SMG you get thrown back into your seat with every shift... it's not exactly seamless! So i'm wondering if it gave the impression it was faster than it was.

robfenn said:
I meant the savage gearchange, with the SMG you get thrown back into your seat with every shift... it's not exactly seamless! So i'm wondering if it gave the impression it was faster than it was.

I have heard from a BMW salesperson that doing such gear changes void the warranty. I also heard, from the same person, Those gear changes are stored in the cars computer and can be recalled if there is engine failure.

robfenn said:

Well I have an SMG and still don't understand... is it a way of shifting?

I know hard launches in the S6 mode will be unhealthy noises and yeah it does feel very fast when you do that. Take an NSX...don't know. M3 vs NSX is a drivers race unless one car is modded.

steveny said:
I have heard from a BMW salesperson that doing such gear changes void the warranty. I also heard, from the same person, Those gear changes are stored in the cars computer and can be recalled if there is engine failure.

I'm sure BMW would love to find anyway to void the M3 it's been very problematic for them. My fingers are crossed and I bought an 05 hoping they finally got the kinks. Stupid I know ,but I love the E46
:biggrin:

Back