Historic Race

IMG_0266.jpg

Still Shiney

IMG_0327.jpg

Still Running

F1cars.JPG

Soiled Pants Time

wreck.jpg

Actual F1 car wreck photo from Laguna Seca this past weekend. Privately owned 1999 Ferrari F399 F1 car, unknown (to me) who the driver was. Messed up Turn 6. Car literally BROKE IN HALF. This was taken immediately before he got out & they covered the car with a tarp. Can you spell "LUCKY AS ####"?? """

"My dad is a TV repairman. He has an AWESOME set of tools! I can fix it"

ya i was there that day, unfortunately i wasnt where i could see turn 6.

OK, I am confused.

If this is actually an F1 car, how the hell did it break up that easily, and in that fashion? What happened to the monocoque, which is incredibly resilient? Could this be a replica?

In F1, I have seen some horrendous crashes, but I've never seen a car have the driver compartment shear right off like that.

It does remind me of Zanardi's crash in a Berlin CART race. I don't know what the construction of CART cars is, but he lost both legs in the accident. However, that was caused by another car broadsiding him at over 200 mph, after Zanardi had lost control of his car.

Which brings up my last question: How come this guy's legs aren't horribly broken?

I was at the '99 Silverstone race as well as last weekends Monterey Historics.

If I recall correctly, the front end of the car Schumacher was riding in was pretty mangled, but still intact(one piece).

I heard of the wreck at Laguna Seca involving one of the many Ferrari's they had there, but did not witness it firsthand since I heard it happened early Sat. morning in one of the warm-up laps. Nothing indicated to me that it was this serious.

Just curious where this photo came from? I also have my suspicions and doubts as to whether this is an actual Formula 1 car or even if the incident in question ever happened.

i thought the drivers section was designed to protect ... not allow a quick getaway. the last photo shows the front nose was just clipped on.

Was that F1 built by Ferrari, or a homemade imitation?

Now this would NEVER happen to a Honda F1. :D

NeoNSX said:
i thought the drivers section was designed to protect ... not allow a quick getaway. the last photo shows the front nose was just clipped on.

Was that F1 built by Ferrari, or a homemade imitation?

Now this would NEVER happen to a Honda F1. :D

The article states that this car was Shumachers and was invloved in an accident proior to being sold to the individual. There are obvious questions as to the quality of said repairs.

Armando

Back