Low Mileage - specifics to add to the checklist

MvM

Legendary Member
At the moment, another NSX is very high on my wishlist ever since I crashed mine last Decemb er. And although I am still saving for that new specimen, it doesn't stop me from already looking around to see what's available
One of the cars available is a 1996 NSX which is listed as having only 13000km (or 8000miles).

I was wondering if there are any specific things to check on a 13 year old car 13 with so few miles??

Some of the things that come my mind are
- Timing belt & water pump (because of age)
- All rubber hoses (possible dried up)
- cracked tires
- stuck ABS solenoids
- rubber suspension parts

Should there be anything else on my list. I assume that on a car that hasn't been driven for say a year (or more) an oil change and perhaps brake fluid change would be in order.

Hi,
Saw your post and I thought I would pass along something I got from one here who is a really renowned mechanic (Bastanza). He said on an old one with few miles that hasn't had services done like the ones you mentioned would be:

timing belt
water pump
all hoses - 22 of them
60k service which includes all the fluids changed - brakes bled, etc.
ABS is a good catch on your part - they should check that w/ 60k service
Rubber should be fine.

This over here would cost around 3k. Something like that as a ball park figure would be good for budgeting.

Hope this helps and good luck! Oh, make sure all the electrical switches and all functions are working in the cockpit. Everything should be checked by you really to make sure - all fan speeds etc.

Tim
Atlanta - I've been to Holland - Amsterdam 2 times and I love Holland. Good place to hang out. I really enjoyed myself.

I am a believer that every 3 years ALL the fluids should be changed regardless of the mileage. I do this on all my cars and they run forever.

Also what concerns me is the A/C system as it needs to run periodically to lubricate the system to prevent the seals from cracking and developing a leak. I turn my A/C on everytime I drive my car regardless of the outside temps.

Good Hunting!

Also what concerns me is the A/C system as it needs to run periodically to lubricate the system to prevent the seals from cracking and developing a leak. I turn my A/C on everytime I drive my car regardless of the outside temps.

Good Hunting!

Good advice !!
BTW, how long do you leave the a/c on if it is freezing outside?:wink:
Nevermind, I just saw that you are from SoCal and it doesn't get cold there right??? LOL

Good advice !!
BTW, how long do you leave the a/c on if it is freezing outside?:wink:
Nevermind, I just saw that you are from SoCal and it doesn't get cold there right??? LOL

We actually do get frost where I live. So yeah it does get cold. But you can still run the A/C and bump up the temp so you don't get frost bite :smile:

Back