LoveFab predicts NSX 2.0 will have over 700hp

BB

Experienced Member
A recent article in Road & Track predicts NSX 2.0 will have a V8 in the future.

And in the reader comment section Cody Loveland (LoveFab) predicts the final NSX will have over 700 hp. While I have no doubt Cody knows what he's talking about as far as what's possible, how likely is Honda to do so? From Honda's perspective what would the downsides be and how serious are they?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...pure-speculation-the-acura-nsx-will-get-a-v8/

Hmmm! Let's see. The new FGT will have 600+ ponies from a 3.5 liter Ecoboost TTV6. If Ford can do it then Honda surely can! Now add two electric motors in the front at 50 HP apiece and a 75 HP electric motor in the transaxle (for reference the Chevy Volt two motors at 149 and 80 HP). North of 550 HP, are you kidding me? Dude, it looks more like 775 - 800 HP to me.

I don't understand.
WHY would a 75 degree V6 block be SHORTER than a 60 or 90 degree V6.
I can understand the width of the engine would be less, so more room for stuff to the left and right, but shorter?

And I don't think Honda would start out with a 3.0 liter for this NSX. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Make it a 3.5 liter at a conservative 140 HP/L and already you have 490 HP on the engine alone.

You can't simply add the electric HP on top of that of course, but let's say that those three EM's would add another 40+40+20 HP effectively and you'd have 600 HP on tap with all the benefit of instant torque.
Remember, even those small 14 HP EM's from the Honda Insight had 90 Nm of Torque (67 ft.lbs). Triple that and you have 200 ft.lbs of torque available, almost as much as the original 3.0 C30B had at maximum.

Of course, especially for you US guys, a V8 has some magic meanings, but technically, a V8 isn't that effective IMHO. More internal friction, higher cost, lots of extra plumbing, extra weight. But for me, a V6 will do just nicely.

I don't understand.
WHY would a 75 degree V6 block be SHORTER than a 60 or 90 degree V6.
I can understand the width of the engine would be less, so more room for stuff to the left and right, but shorter?

I bet the term "shorter" as used in the article is meant to describe the vertical height of the engine.

I think 700hp is optimistic but I'd be happy to be wrong. Either way, it's fun throwing out wild guesses.

And actually V8s and Honda do mix very well. They've been racing V8s successfully since the 60's. I'd hope that they would have become technically proficient in designing and building a V8 in the last 50some years.

And actually V8s and Honda do mix very well. They've been racing V8s successfully since the 60's. I'd hope that they would have become technically proficient in designing and building a V8 in the last 50some years.

Actually HONDA and v10s mix even better but unfortunately not in production cars...they are lovers of 4s and 6s.

Haha, I was quoted; nice. It's my guess ladies and gents, based on factors such as seeing the Pikes Peak NSX(HPD's not ours), the 'Ring videos, which clearly shows huge power, and knowing what Honda could easily pull from their TT engine alone(an easy 600HP(500whp would be easy as pie, IMO)). The wild card is the size of the battery pack, and the output of the electric motors. The RLX only outputs a combined 54hp with all three motors. This seems like a waste of weight to me, so I'm henching on Honda cranking 100-150hp of additional electric grunt at "peak" output. There are likely to be multiple power modes, and I'm sure the "peak" power mode will not last more than a few laps on a road course, but Honda will have to shine performance wise in order to compete in todays marketplace with this car. Winning over testers at the press drives and dealer lots are what will sell this car.

HONDA have a very " We know what the customers SHOULD want and have, no matter what customers actually want" philosophy.
That is the reason they have stuck with their 6 cylinder engines in the RLX even though they aspire to compete with the 8s in Lexus, MB, BMW and Infiniti.
The sales of the RLX have suffered and that is common knowledge.....yet HONDA have not budged.

If HONDA were to put a V8 in the NSX, they would have done it now, when the 2.0 was introduced. No, they did not and they will not.
They will eek out "sufficient" power from the combined 6 cyl ICE + Electric and give it to the customers who don't know what is good for them.

You do not really need a V8 if enough power can be produced from a lighter V6....makes sense.
I do not see HONDA giving in to a V8 just to have a V8.

HONDA have a very " We know what the customers SHOULD want and have, no matter what customers actually want" philosophy.
That is the reason they have stuck with their 6 cylinder engines.

If HONDA were to put a V8 in the NSX, they would have done it now, when the 2.0 was introduced. No, they did not and they will not.
They will eek out "sufficient" power from the combined 6 cyl ICE + Electric and give it to the customers who don't know what is good for them.

You do not really need a V8 if enough power can be produced from a lighter V6....makes sense.
I do not see HONDA giving in to a V8 just to have a V8.

yep...

Taking about peak HP in a hybrid or electric car is a bit myopic imo. I'm more interested in the width width and height of the torque curve.

Have you seen all the "watch a Tesla S smoke a _______ car?". They are almost comical.

My biggest worry is that Honda did a half ass job on the hybrid shawd. The RL is nothing to write home about.

I think it will have more HP than the GTR at least. 580~600hp sounds about right if they want to compete with the intended crowd with 150k price tag.

Back