lotus tt vs corvette z06

ALLAN

Suspended
Well, got to race a z06 today in the lotus tt!. we took off in 2nd and were dead even, shifted 3rd and at the top of the gear he pulled me by a car length, shift to 4th and he pulled me by another car length. well at this point i was pissed, and we get a chance to talk at a light, we complement each others cars, and it turns out hes got exhaust, headers, intake, some computer thing, and is running 100 octane. soo now i feel better since i know that if we raced again at just a cooler temp, id of given him a run for his money since its 110 degrees out here.hopefully tommorow will run my friends supercharged nsx.

Allan,

Sounds like you had a nice run. There is never any shame in losing to a ZO6 from what I have heard. Perhaps when you get your Lotus sorted out performance wise...and a bit more practice driving it, you might be able to take him next time.

Why would you be pissed? The Z06 weighs about the same and has more power, whether the early 385 HP (crank) or newer 405 HP models. You need an intercooler and more boost. Or just run the Lambo, LOL!

no see i was pissed at first, but then i found out all the work he had done, i know if he were stock id of beaten him! now when i do my work to the lotus, it will be a z06 killer! just the ecu adds 100hp! im going to also change turbos, add blow off valves and intercool it.

If you're stock and he were anywhere near stock, I don't think you'd have had any reasonable chance to beat him. I've smoked stock Lotus V8 TTs in my BMW commuter car, though it's not nearly stock.

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 14 September 2002).]

Well, lets see number9, i jost posted that i got beat by 2 car lengths by a 2002 z06 with HEADERS, EXHAUST, INTAKE, COMPUTER, AND 100 OCTANE GAS IN 110 DEGREE HEAT. Id say that deleteing those mods would give the z06 more than a 2 car deficit and making it very possible for me to beat him. I think if the temp was substantially lower id of given him a run for his money as is. Most magazines put the lotus at just about the same #'s as the z06, some faster, some slower, and these are all tests of earlier lotus's. the 2000 model has a reprogrammed ecu and has more power. As for racing your BMW against Lotus, you must have the worlds fastest beemer, because i raced an M5, and destroyed it, not even close.

Allan good run, next time put 100octane in your car and see what it could do. Anyway with the race ECU you will have no problem in beating just about anycar because the way your ECU is set up now you only have full boost in 4th and 5th gear, so unless you are going over 130mph you will never see the full potential of this car. As for the race ECU it will give you full boost in everygear so you will be able to take advantage of the lower gears, which in this case would have given you the head start and it would have been him trying to reel you in. You will not be disappointed with the race ECU. Also go with the BOV. They are a big,big plus. Not only do they sound amazing but they actually do help by keeping the turbos spooled between gear changes, hence no lag. Anyway sounds like you had fun and at least the guy was cool.

Hey allan let us know what happens with the blown nsx i'm curious? I'm sure he'll beat a stock esprit, but I'd like to see how bad. Blown nsx's put down like 400whp right? esprit v8's only make like 380 at the crank?

rmani they make only 350hp at the crank. But nothing a few tweeks can't take care of. My car has upwards of 450 at crank with minor mods. Want to take it to a dyno but have to install intercoolers first.

Originally posted by ALLAN:
As for racing your BMW against Lotus, you must have the worlds fastest beemer, because i raced an M5, and destroyed it, not even close.

Not nearly the world's fastest bimmer, though it was the top placing BMW in the 2000 One Lap, except that the power is now up by another 80 RWHP. As I noted, my car isn't even close to stock (except in appearance), so the comparisons with stock or near stock cars aren't terribly meaningful, whether M5s or Lotuses. I'm making more RWHP than an M5 and more RWHP than the stock Lotus crank HP specs on a fairly light E36 platform. For a commuter car, I much prefer to go fast but look stock and remain inconspicuous. Anyway, once you've done your Lotus mods, lightly modded Z06s shouldn't be a problem.

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 15 September 2002).]

I havent been able to get a hold of my friend t race him. ohhh well. ill get him to go. i dont think hes that interested in racing now because i let him drive the lotus and he said it pulled much harder than the nsx, especially down low.

No doubt that gerrys car will beat my lotus, it will destroy it. but then again it should. now let me add the race ecu,blow off valves, bigger turbos, and intercoolers and then ill race him.

yes, i had some recent car troubles, i took the diablo out and the engine blew up! had to call a tow truck! actually, took the diablo out and headed north, where its less congested and theres some nice open roads. get to a clearing and jump on the car really hard(had the nitrous on also)1st, 2nd,3rd,4th and into 5th, touched about 170mph and shut it down. about a 1/2 mile down i feel something weird in the car and i go to pull over thinking i have a flat tire. well i get out, and i almost shit myself, the rear driver side wheel had lost all its lug bolts! i quickly jacked up the car, thank god it was still resting on the wheel, and get the wheel off. soo i find that i had broken all 5 of the lug bolts in half! there was an ace hardware in the plaza i had pulled over in, and i got a drill and a tap.they lent me a cordless drill and i was able to extract the bolts and borrow 3 lugs from the other wheels and drive the car home. thank god no damage to the car. soo now i have to find some reinforced lugs and change all of them. been a bad weekend for me, 1st lose to a z06, then this. actually, truthfully, i was very happy at how things turned out, because given the circumstances, it could of been much worse.hey, atleast now i can say i had a problem with my diablo! even though i cant really blame the car.

wow.. that is scary allan! Is that a common thing when driving that speed? Anyone ever had that happen?

ive heard its happened to some people before usually from either being over torqued or under torqued, or a recent wheel swap etc. my wheels have been on the car for over a year. dont know what happened, maybe the added power, maybe the fact that i was blowing the tires off in the third gear when it finally caught traction. who knows. im just happy the car is ok. anyone have any idea who makes race studs?

Back