Lotus Help

Hi all, I was thinking of purchasing a lotus espirit of 1978-90 range for something around 15-20k.

Where to look for such a car? Any genneral info on the cars? How reliable are they honestly? Are parts hard to come by and/or expensive? Can I, being 6'3" but thinly built, fit in the car?

I want to replace my prelude with a car that woudnt depreciate (as fast) and use it as my secondary daily driver, eg 50-50 or 40-60 with my 633CSi...is this a good idea, or should I find a C4 vette instead?

EDIT: I canlt spell
smile.gif

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (finally the daily)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina"
1997 NSX "Nina"
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

[This message has been edited by Auraraptor (edited 01 December 2002).]

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
I want to replace my prelude with a car that woudnt depreciate (as fast) and use it as my secondary daily driver, eg 50-50 or 40-60 with my 633CSi...is this a good idea, or should I find a C4 vette instead?

If your concern is strictly with the cost, you should be looking at the total cost of ownership - not only depreciation, but also gas, scheduled maintenance, unexpected repairs, tires, insurance, etc. If you do, I think you'll find that your Prelude is costing you a lot less than either an Esprit or a C4 Corvette would.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
If your concern is strictly with the cost, you should be looking at the total cost of ownership - not only depreciation, but also gas, scheduled maintenance, unexpected repairs, tires, insurance, etc. If you do, I think you'll find that your Prelude is costing you a lot less than either an Esprit or a C4 Corvette would.

...but a prelude is ssslllloooowwww
smile.gif
At least its pretty to look at
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I want a manual trany car w/ a similar 'feel' of the 328, and one that I can simply more or less trade my prelude for. I dont want to spend large $$ right now (car fund is near zero), but later is not as much of a problem, as long as its not like upwards of 3k a year to keep the car running well.

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (finally the daily)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina"
1997 NSX "Nina"
1988 Ferrari 328 GTS "Alissa" (new!)
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
I want a manual trany car w/ a similar 'feel' of the 328, and one that I can simply more or less trade my prelude for. I dont want to spend large $$ right now (car fund is near zero), but later is not as much of a problem, as long as its not like upwards of 3k a year to keep the car running well.

Well... you could always get a second NSX, maybe an early one...
biggrin.gif

However, I don't think an Esprit or a pre-'97 Corvette are going to be all that great in terms of total operating cost, particularly since you'll be putting a fair number of miles on it.

Also, in Bal'more, you do occasionally get some winter weather. I'm not sure what you're driving in the winter, but you might want to have something in your garage that can get you around when the white stuff comes down - if not an SUV or something with 4WD, then at least have something with front-wheel-drive and winter (or at least all-season) tires. Giving up the 'lude may reduce your options in this important area.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

Also, in Bal'more, you do occasionally get some winter weather. I'm not sure what you're driving in the winter, but you might want to have something in your garage that can get you around when the white stuff comes down - if not an SUV or something with 4WD, then at least have something with front-wheel-drive and winter (or at least all-season) tires. Giving up the 'lude may reduce your options in this important area.

Like a C-4 maybe?

I owned a '91 Lotus Esprit SE Turbo for about 6 months. I quickly grew tired of the lousy craftmanship and poor performance. The only reason it was reliable was because I was affraid to drive it for fear of breaking down.
wink.gif

I sold it to buy my NSX and have never looked back.

I would recommend aginst it.

Agreed that the WRX is ugly.

How about the Audi TT Quattro? 6 sp, 225 hp. You should be able to pick one up for under $35K.

Certainly more reliable than a Lotus.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

I just picked up a Porsche 911 C4 and like the all wheel drive. I drove it to Pa the other day and was driving in the snow. Very stable and good traction. If you want something sporty and fast, but still want the winter car I can let you take mine for a spin if you want. I don't think we live that far away.

Rob

Allan, as do I!
biggrin.gif

Joe, My prelude is a SS auto, and as you prob. heard, Honda autos well umm are "weak," and can't handle the power they have well let alone more power.
frown.gif

Jimbo, I hate Audis...I am a bmw man.
tongue.gif

NSXlover, I think the mid 70s to late 90s porsches (with few exceptions) are ugly...too much like a frog.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Agreed that the WRX is ugly.

How about the Audi TT Quattro? 6 sp, 225 hp. You should be able to pick one up for under $35K.

Certainly more reliable than a Lotus.

-Jim

DITTO!
as the same for the LOTUS.
Then again thats just my taste.

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

I read some of their comments and if owners claim reliabilty is a problem, i must really be a problem.

oh well. I would have loved to have a espirit for daily drives and the 81/83 weekly drive (the highway between Hazleton/Baltimore).

Are they really that bad?

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

First of all you have to be a real Lotus Esprit fan. I'm talking a real nutcase for the marque here. Anything less and you'll be selling the car real soon. I guarantee it. It's kind of like being married to a spouse with many idiosyncrasies. If you truly love them, it's easy to overlook these trivial things. If you don't, a divorce may be in your near future.

Check, loved em since i saw Bond in one.

Second, test drive as many Esprits as possible and decide if this is the type of car for you. You may discover that you always have liked the car's looks, but you don't really like how you fit in it. Or that your bad back makes it very difficult to enter the car through the narrow opening doors. Or that your neck is compressed and your thighs rub the bottom of the steering wheel. Or that you can't stand all the stares and attention that you get at every stop light. Believe it or not, there are many reasons not to own an Esprit.

Gotta do that one, first though I gotta find one to look at near my home
smile.gif

Thirdly, make sure that you own more than one car. This is almost a requirement. At some point, you will need other transportation. Be it because you're waiting for parts, or you don't want to leave your sexy Esprit parked in a bad part of town, or you need to haul some pine bark mulch back from The Home Depot.

Check there too

Seriously though, if did get one, I probably wont be able to "love it" as I have enough trouble already doing that with my current cars. I probalby won't get one, maybe if I sell the nsx some say and need a fun car for a couple of months, but now, Range rover here I come (again)!

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

If your in Balto, I would check out
http://www.prestige-motors.com

I think they are in Randallstown? (sp)

Last time I checked, they had a white Lotus Esprit X180R (only 20 made I think).

They also have a BMW M1, Ferrari 355F1 and F40 if your interested?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 06 December 2002).]

Before the NSX even occured to me I was hell bent on a '89-91 Esprit. Love the looks, rarity (is that a word?) and the performance. A high-end sports/race car mechanic told me about a customer of his who bought a '90 in good shape and dropped $10k in repairs year 1.

I could deal with $10k for an engine or catastrophic problem, but it was $10k on "nothing major". $500 wiper motor, $600 window regulator, etc.

One of my other considerations before realizing the NSX was the exactly what I wanted was to build a Cobra kit. You can build a Factory Five kit for under $20k if you're into that kind of thing. You buy the beer, I'll bring the wrenches. Just a thought.

- Todd

Back