Lotus Exige Top Gear Video - Must See!!

RSO 34 said:
We had 2 Exiges at Watkins Glen last Monday and Tuesday with one of them turning a 2:16 lap time.

What is considered to be a fast lap time at WGI (just for a reference point)?

Okay, so now that I got the wiseass answer out of my system, by way of reference I was doing 2:31 and I believe DocJohn and Peter Mills were doing low 2:20's.

Yes for a good driver on track tires in a street car anything below 2:25 is respectable.Below 2:20 and you are cooking.I routinely run 2:20-2:22.But my car is not stock,and I have experience and apptitude.

:D Only trying to help:) Everyones performance or thier own idea of such is often quite distorted,I know this,but hay he asked.

Tiger I hear Peter will be your instructer for a bmwc event,make him proud!

MarkB said:
Someone was running an Exige at the BMWCCA RA event on May 1.

Yes and that was the "old" Rover powered car that I could beat with my Turbo Integra easily at a big track like Road America and even at a tight course like Gingerman. The NSX can take it out at either as well. This video is of the "new" 190 bhp Toyota powered car, which is a bit less weight as the 04 Elise, and way faster than the Rover powered cars.

Remember this is a minute and a half track, which is around a 2 mile tight circuit. Stick it on a track like the "ring", or say Road America, and that thing will get eaten up by all of the cars it beat on the short track. It is much faster than the old Exige for sure.

You must remember that Top Gear has been known in the past for inconsistant results due to drivers, and conditions.

its ugly and it is way to small for anything but driving around a track. I'll pass..

First off I saw the video and a few comments...

They keep talking about running on full slicks and the track being wet. Then they immediately compare it to the NSX-R on the board.

Well first of all - there was no rain falling and the full racing slicks helped more then it hurt / the track was not that wet. For reference - the same site hosts the test of the NSX-R and there is a complete DOWNPOUR. To just say "both tracks were wet" is inaccurate to say the least. Actually, the Exige is impressive and should perform well on the track - but I would never consider it for anything but a dedicated track car.

nothing motivates you more on the track than a little "keep on loving you" by REO Speedwagon on the radio. :D What was up with that?

docjohn said:
Tiger I hear Peter will be your instructer for a bmwc event,make him proud!

It will be my honor to have Peter as my instructor. I will do my best to keep him in one piece.

:D

Okay, so now that I got the wiseass answer out of my system, by way of reference I was doing 2:31 and I believe DocJohn and Peter Mills were doing low 2:20's.

Wow!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

matteni said:
First off I saw the video and a few comments...

They keep talking about running on full slicks and the track being wet. Then they immediately compare it to the NSX-R on the board.

Well first of all - there was no rain falling and the full racing slicks helped more then it hurt / the track was not that wet. For reference - the same site hosts the test of the NSX-R and there is a complete DOWNPOUR. To just say "both tracks were wet" is inaccurate to say the least. Actually, the Exige is impressive and should perform well on the track - but I would never consider it for anything but a dedicated track car.

I agree. I have yet to see a video where the weather was as bad as the NSX-R test. It was HORRIBLE! I wish they would test it again. I think it would do WAY better in the dry. Probably more than the 4 seconds they said to take off for bad weather.

matteni said:
Well first of all - there was no rain falling and the full racing slicks helped more then it hurt / the track was not that wet. For reference - the same site hosts the test of the NSX-R and there is a complete DOWNPOUR. To just say "both tracks were wet" is inaccurate to say the least.

You are right as I have tested on many occasions the same car wearing two different set of tires (one slick, one grooved) on a wet (damp track) and the same track with standing water. Timewise, both sets are giving very consistant times, the slicks a second or two faster under both conditions. The only thing that the slick were back about was that their grip is usually binary (as in grip/no grip) with very little progressivity to warn the driver what's going on. So it does not surprise me at all that the Elise could do better times, especially when the track had even less water than the NSX-R. I have watched the Sleepyfish videos on many occasions, and testing wise, their comparisions are a bunch of ballonies (just like most of journalist tests).

Real cute f'n comment by the brit at the end of the segment on American friendly fire.

Back