Los Angeles Vacation!

Hi,

I have never been to LA ever. Will be taking the Disney Cruise from Vancouver to San Diego and renting a car.

For those who live in the area, where should I go? Where are some of the must go to places? Will be going to Universal and Disney, Hollywood boulevard etc ( all the tourist-sy places), what i want to know are places that are worth while and not tourist traps =D Will be ending my trip by driving to Las Vegas and staying for 4 days there and flying back. Any suggestions and recommendations welcomed! Cheers!

I don't live there and have never personally been to the gallery, but just as an idea I've heard from a few people that the Getty Center is a very nice trip with some exciting architecture, gardens, and a great view. I've always wanted to go, never had a chance. I believe friends said it's located in/near Hollywood, near UCLA.
http://www.getty.edu/visit/
Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'm a science-y kind of guy, so I love the La Brea Tarpits. The entire paleohistory of them fascinates me. I was walking around the grounds where the tarpits are and saw a dead bird stuck in tar. This kind of blew my mind, as I always thought of the pits as traps for mammoths and sabretooths, but here in the 21st century they are still working.

Huntington Beach is a nice place. PV is beautiful IMO. In and out burger! Drive on PCH as well. The views are amazing.

So much to do and see... I would start with a drive up PCH. laJolla, ,Laguna, Newport are just some of the nice places to stop along the way... Downtown LA, Hollywood if you want the city feel..or you can do the winery tours out here in Temecula or take a drive up to the Mountains, like Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead... Like I said, so many things to do, just depends on what you want to do really. Enjoy!!!

U might be shocked to see all the deceased plants and exposed dirt..... I was when I first laid eyes on So Cal decades ago...... And I'm a Nor Cal guy.

I can imagine with the water problem down there. Coming from Vancouver BC (where it rains 75% of the year...) i am sure LA will look like a desert!

Thank you all for the great inputs! Keep it coming and i'll take your suggestions and plan accordingly!!!

IMO:
More touristy shopping area to see is Rodeo Drive, while nicest shopping is probably at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa
More touristy beach area to see is Santa Monica(3rd St. Promenade), while nicest beach area is probably Manhattan Beach. (Don't go to Venice unless you want medical marijuana)

I assume you will have kids in tow? If so, in addition to the good suggestions already made, you can also stop by the Science Center to see the space shuttle, and the Natural History Museum is right next door. Both are practically on the USC campus.

On your drive out to Vegas, you'll want to stop at the shopping outlet mall near Barstow.

I'm heading out to Vancouver for a family vacation in a few days, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know! :smile:

-
I would add Griffith Observatory as a stop on your journey. www.griffithobservatory.org/
Has a great view over-looking Los Angeles, the Hollywood sign, and its a cool place to check out.
-
** Take the deluxe backlot tour of Warner Brothers studios **
Although pricey, its a great option to explore the WB property
http://www.wbstudiotour.com/deluxe-tour
(they also have a cheaper and shorter tour option)
-
in all honestly, you could spend months doing stuff in Southern California
Be sure to stop in at one of the beaches for the day
Perhaps Huntington Beach.. you can valet at Dukes, grab a drink, check out the pier, go for a swim

Back