Looking to join the club... Things to look out for?

Hey all...

Ive been lurking here reading and studing for quite sometimes...

My friend has a 2004 Yellow/Yellow NSX with about 40k miles on the car...

He is the 2nd owner I believe and he has put on less than 10,000 miles he doesnt drive it much but I am just wondering if there are many things that I need to look for?

What services I need to ask if it has been done or checked upon like TB/WP?

He is asking for 50k but im sure its negotiable...

I have my eyes peeled for other NSX out there but I really do like the Yellow on Yellow combination...

Is the price fair? The paint condition can be better but its nothing nice through detail cant fix... Mechanical from what I can tell is in good condition... However the mileage seems to be a bit higher than what I am seeing on the market...

Please let me know if there is anything I should be looking for? Or I should ask him in regards to services done etc...

Thanks in advanced...

Jeff

Milage should be a non issue as long as the car had been taken car of and personally if its a friend I would feel safer about buying it and its representation

Milage should be a non issue as long as the car had been taken car of and personally if its a friend I would feel safer about buying it and its representation

I agree with the person I quote. Mileage and care are 2 different animals. I would rather purchase an NSX with 60k that is up to date with all maint. done, than a car with 25k that you need to do timing belt, water pump, master & slave cylinders, main relay, etc.

You should be looking at maint. documents. Good Luck! :smile:

Appreciate the feedback...

Otoro this is a small world and I have an idea of who you are...

I guess now its for the wait of the right NSX to come along...

How I miss my m3 hahaha

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming...

Jeff

Interesting.....I never seen any yellow NSX from Long Beach.....mainly reds and blacks here.

Average annual miles for the NSX is 5000. For an 04 it should have around 30K depending of mfg date. Not unusually high though.

It is due for a timing belt soon and should have had all the fluids replaced at least twice. I try to do the fluids every 3 years. That is just as important aspect of maintenence besides wear items. Documented history for this car is the thing to look for.

Look at the wiki and click on "All pages" and peruse the maintenence schedules and nsx buyers checklist. That is a good place to start.

Good Luck on your search :). It took me over a year to find the right one.

Last edited:
Good to see some folks are actually driving their cars instead of keeping them as garrage queens. I've never really understood that from a drivers perspective - it seems that some buy a car and are afraid to drive it much for fear of increasing depreciation. Strange concept to a driver. If you like the yellow on yellow - then the price doesn't seem too far off to me. That is if the maintenance records are there. However, that color is not for everyone - and it isn't the easiest to sell. So factor that in as well.

As others have said got to the checklist and with that take a look at his records and he should also have the prev. owner's records as well. 40k miles is surely enough to warrant a fair amount of oil changes and other things as well. A lot of folks that buy these cars and only drive them sparingly don't do much or as little as possible in the maintenance department. Check the clutch - that is a really big ticket item in the NA2s - like at least 5k if not more - depending on who is doing the work - could be less if you are the master DIY guy. The timing belt is a time sensitive as well as mileage driven issue. 7 years or 105k miles - seems a little odd - but that's the deal, chance driving it over that at your own risk. The water pump is in the same area - will most likely last 100k - so that may not be something you want to do - it is after all about 275 bucks. Your call. Hoses - well are they dry rotted - doubtful - have a mechanic check them - some may be recommended for replacement but maybe not all 22.

On a 2004 - shouldn't be a lot of stuff to do. I mean after all it's fairly new - 6 years old. The clutch is your big worry as that is dependant on driver ability - they all aren't created equal in the clutch use department - not by a long shot. IF that is needed then I'd be looking at less than 45k - cause you will be looking at a Timing Belt soon and some hoses - at least the main ones and there are about 13 main important hoses. That service - well check with the mechanic on what they would charge. You see this guy may know this is coming up and maybe happy to let it go to the "next" guy to take care of these "time" sensitive issues. A word to the wise - but lets say in a year you will go and do a big service including the TB/WP/hoses - 2200 +/-. Depending on hourly rates etc, dealer or independant.

So if the clutch has only 30% life left and next year or so you do the above mentioned service - well - you see the point - everyone can add - 7200 bucks could be coming out of your wallet soon enough - I'd negotiate that. Something to think about. Good luck and let us know what you do.

To add to Tim, consider a new harmonic balancer and shield when you do the TB/WP, as well as valve adjustment, cam seals and plugs. Make sure you get a new timing belt tensioner in any quote you get for TB/WP.

Clutch could be an issue depending on how the previous owners drove it, is it showing signs of slipping. I have gone over a 100K on my honda clutches, not there yet on my NSX but I know other members here have 100K plus on their NSX clutches. Depends on how you drive it. Clutch would be about $2200 parts and labor.

How are the tires, because it won't be cheap for a set of those either ~$800+

Don't let any of this scare you , it may still be a good car but just consider these things in your price.

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks all...

Every post here has been very informative and insightful...

I think clutch is definitely a bit issue and will check it out...

So list to check:

1) Timing Belt
2) Water Pump
3) Clutch

Tires and what not is not a big concern... Thanks to a few friends of mine in the industry so thats the least of my concerns at the moment...

Now its time to hunt for the perfect NSX for me...

I just cant wait to get into another sports car I miss my E46 M3 Daily since shes been gone.... But I think the wait for the NSX will be worth it...

Oh and this is going to be my 70% weekend 30% track car so I'll definitely be driving it... I do have a daily but when I drive I make sure I take nice long cruises on the weekends...

Cant wait to be part of the club...

Thanks again

Jeff

Fluids:

Coolant, Tranny Fluid, Brake Fluid, Oil

To add to Tim, consider a new harmonic balancer and shield when you do the TB/WP, as well as valve adjustment, cam seals and plugs. Make sure you get a new timing belt tensioner in any quote you get for TB/WP.

Clutch could be an issue depending on how the previous owners drove it, is it showing signs of slipping. I have gone over a 100K on my honda clutches, not there yet on my NSX but I know other members here have 100K plus on their NSX clutches. Depends on how you drive it. Clutch would be about $2200 parts and labor.

How are the tires, because it won't be cheap for a set of those either ~$800+

Don't let any of this scare you , it may still be a good car but just consider these things in your price.

That's all I can think of for now.

Where are you getting an NA2 clutch for 2200? Parts and labor - who's prices are you using - those are NA1 prices not NA2!

Where are you getting an NA2 clutch for 2200? Parts and labor - who's prices are you using - those are NA1 prices not NA2!

OK, maybe it's a bit low but I suppose I should of said, if I had an NA2 I would do the clutch conversion from SOS with their clutch.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/billet_sport_clutch/

Looks like they have raised their price, I was thinking it was $1400 of the top of my head as it used to be around the price, if not lower than of an NA1 OEM clutch, then add about $800 for labor. Anyway it's now about $1700 on their website, which is where the old RPS used to be:frown: so I guess if you do the conversion you would be around $2500, assuming labor is the same between NA1 and NA2,not sure why it wouldn't be though.

Let's us know....yellow/yellow, it'd have to grow on me....but then again I like my Tan interior and most prefer the black, so I'm kinda weird like that.

Last edited:
OK, maybe it's a bit low but I suppose I should of said, if I had an NA2 I would do the clutch conversion from SOS with their clutch.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/billet_sport_clutch/

Looks like they have raised their price, I was thinking it was $1400 of the top of my head as it used to be around the price, if not lower than of an NA1 OEM clutch, then add about $800 for labor. Anyway it's now about $1700 on their website, which is where the old RPS used to be:frown: so I guess if you do the conversion you would be around $2500, assuming labor is the same between NA1 and NA2,not sure why it wouldn't be though.

If you went back with the NA2 OEM clutch it's a lot more than that I believe. Some folks aren't so sure about after market stuff - not saying it isn't ok - just not for some.

If you went back with the NA2 OEM clutch it's a lot more than that I believe. Some folks aren't so sure about after market stuff - not saying it isn't ok - just not for some.

Yeah the OEM NA2 clutch is about $2800, so add another $800 for labor or so and you would be at $3600:frown:

Yeah the OEM NA2 clutch is about $2800, so add another $800 for labor or so and you would be at $3600:frown:

Betthemortgage just bought an 04 NSX and has a bill from the prev. owner for a clutch installation from the dealer - over 5k! Yeah I'd say somebody got stuck - but that is the worst case scenario - so even the 3600 has to be carefully checked out with whatever shop you use!

$1500 for the clutch kit OEM, and $1000 labor, $2500 for the repair,

the TB/WP, belt Tensioner, valve adjusment, valve cover seal, cams seals, tb cover seals, sparkplug seals here in tampa was $2400, out the door.

All OEM parts to, after market I am scared what if it fails? who do I go after and how can you prove their part caused the failure? if you go all OEM parts you can go after Honda ya know

$3800 they can kiss my asZ I would do it myself.

$1500 for the clutch kit OEM, and $1000 labor, $2500 for the repair,

$3800 they can kiss my asZ I would do it myself.

The NA1 OEM clutch costs ~$1500 (Some places can source for less or at least used to Ray Laks comes to mind)

The NA2 OEM is about $2800 for parts, so either way you are paying at least that even if you do your own labor.

As I said before if I had an NA2 tranny I would do the SOS conversion, looks like a great clutch wish it was still the old price but it is what it is and it's still cheaper than the NA2 OEM by over a $1000. Just my $.02

Back