looking to buy my first nsx

hi all,

i just joined the forum and am hoping to get some tips and advices from some experienced owners. i am in the market for my first nsx and have been looking for the past 1 month. i have noticed that prices vary widely, even among same year vehicles. i don't know how to compare the different cars and prices. should i go by the kelly blue book values?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Last edited:
Use the search feature on prime to look up past threads about price.If you simply browse this section and go back say 2 months there are lots of threads about price.Also look at the for sale section and follow the price drops until the car is sold.

Use the search feature on prime to look up past threads about price.If you simply browse this section and go back say 2 months there are lots of threads about price.Also look at the for sale section and follow the price drops until the car is sold.

+1..and just to get you started, you'll need to think about:

1. Color
2. Mileage
3. Coupe or Targa
4. Stock or modified
5. Clean or salvaged
6. Local or will travel and ship
7. Maintenance and records (got to have or will deal with it after purchase)

Deferred maintenance/no records can cost you more than a few thousand dollars. My view, get these 7 items sorted in your mind then you are ready to go on the hunt!! Good luck.

In the market section on this forum, there is a salvage title 2002 for 35 k
IF the story is true, this could be a nice LONG TERM CAR. The "IF" is a big if IMO.

I looked at a 94 salvage title today that is on ebay--automatic--not a bad car
and can be bought for 17k. How wrong can you go at this price-17k-

There is also a 2005 in Fl that has a salvage title.

if a car is put back together properly and doesn't go down the road "side waze"(spelling) they could be a good long term driver.(side ways)

I have been looking for that last year and half and finally found one that I am buying. I am shipping it back to Las Vegas in a few weeks.

My advice is research as much as you can about the car. This includes the following items:
1)What are common maintenance items to be aware of?
Timing Belt, Water Pump, Clutch and basic oil changes
2)How many of each color NSX in the USA?
This is key since there are more Red, Black and Silver than any other color.
3)What modifications matter to you and which do you not want?(this is important since many, many cars will not be stock)
consider exhaust, supercharger, turbocharger, bodykit, wheels/tires
4)What are the differences between the years from 1991-2005?
1997 was a big year and so was 2002 for the NSX. Check out the wiki on this site for what happened
5)When I do find one to look at what does the NSXprime have on this car? What is the ownership history like?

Those are just a few I thought of but don't buy one until you do some research. You will be glad you did. This isn't your normal used car to purchase. It holds its value better than 90% of cars out there and they are limited in production. This site has a lot of useful information about the cars out there for sale and every detail about them.

Last edited:
Are you going to daily drive the car ? ; Dont pay extra for a garage queen. High miles OK. Lower up front price and less guilt down the road.
Want a show piece ? Get that queen. You will have to go 91-94 for low miles for that price.
Want a sunny day car ?; T top.
Rocket ship ? Buy one with a Supercharger already installed.

I am actually buying that car in Kentucky. That is a great deal with the supercharger on it already. Good choice of cars!

BTW, I would read up on that 95' black/black NSX on here. There is some interesting info for you.

some ppls say to wait for the perfect one. Sometimes you just have to buy it when you get the chance. I think i was impatient seeing how ppls have been looking for years for their car and i think i looked like 3 weeks. I think you should consider the year of the car with the number of owners. I hope mine drives well for years to come with me being the 5th owner :( and very few maintaince records.....I think all i saw was the 30k one now that i think about it. Search the threads here and on google. I was able to find out a little about 3/4 owners of this car before me. Either way, you can't go wrong, its a honda at heart.

I am actually buying that car in Kentucky. That is a great deal with the supercharger on it already. Good choice of cars!

BTW, I would read up on that 95' black/black NSX on here. There is some interesting info for you.

OH WOW! nice man, congrats, what year is?

hi all,

i just joined the forum and am hoping to get some tips and advices from some experienced owners. i am in the market for my first nsx and have been looking for the past 1 month. i have noticed that prices vary widely, even among same year vehicles. i don't know how to compare the different cars and prices. should i go by the kelly blue book values? my budget is around 35k.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

You've picked the right place for Q&A on Nsx. I bought mine 2 yrs ago with the help of these guys here on Prime. Where are you located? Perhaps I can keep an eye out for you.

Huy

OH WOW! nice man, congrats, what year is?

He's getting THIS ONE....

OP for production numbers on vehicle color....see the wiki HERE

I was most concerned about getting the lowest mileage with the least deferred maintenance for the lowest price possible on a stock drivetrain, body and suspension. What I ended up with is a beautiful '94 Grand Prix White. No matter what color you get, the car is going to be rare, with only about 9000 total imported into the US, but then you can look at the WIKI a determine if the color combo you are getting is rare in that number of 9000. I wasn't concerned about color, but what I ended up with was one of only 66 cars out of the 9000 that was White with Tan leather. Still not concerned about color, but I sure do love the car!

Good luck in your search. Whether you find "the car" in two weeks or two years, I'm positive you'll be more than happy with it. Until then, use Prime as it and its members are a great resource!

/rjp

i live in dallas, texas. i have not seen a lot of nsx in texas. if you run across something let me know. thanks.

scott

You've picked the right place for Q&A on Nsx. I bought mine 2 yrs ago with the help of these guys here on Prime. Where are you located? Perhaps I can keep an eye out for you.

Huy

how did you find contact information on previous owners? did they had a problem with you contacting them for information? thanks.

some ppls say to wait for the perfect one. Sometimes you just have to buy it when you get the chance. I think i was impatient seeing how ppls have been looking for years for their car and i think i looked like 3 weeks. I think you should consider the year of the car with the number of owners. I hope mine drives well for years to come with me being the 5th owner :( and very few maintaince records.....I think all i saw was the 30k one now that i think about it. Search the threads here and on google. I was able to find out a little about 3/4 owners of this car before me. Either way, you can't go wrong, its a honda at heart.

I have had my NSX for a bit over a year now and it has been quite a learning adventure. Due to knee problems I decided I needed an automatic, and since I planned to keep it and resale would not be an issue, I was willing to consider a salvage vehicle.

Found a 91 with with 23,000 miles for $24,500. It had issues which I was aware of when I bought it, and all of them have (hopefully) been resolved. Did the waterpump/timing belt/valve adjustment. The differential failed this spring, and even with a $95 donor transmission, it cost $2650 to get it fixed. (Turned out the transmission it came with was not original!) It needed a new ignition switch/lock which also meant it needed to be rekeyed. Had to replace the steering column reel, which also fixed the ABS/airbag problem. Then I got a set of 95 rims and tires to go on them. More money. It now has 28,000 miles on it and I have put a total of $8,000 in it to get it completely without issues.

The only thing I had left to do to make it perfect was to fix/replace the bubbled console piece - except I backed into a stump turning around in my nephew's yard (he cut the tree off and left the stump at a height I couldn't see, and it busted the paint on the back bumper, and now the bumper doesn't fit right) so I will probably end up getting the car painted. Which is ok, the paint was great from ten feet away, but less than perfect from 18".

Anyway - you can spend around $32k to get something that doesn't need anything (HAH! That's what all sellers say) or spend ten grand less and put ten grand into it and then you'll be done. Either way, the end result is a marvelous car for a reasonable price that you will be very happy with.

All great advice but for "emotional" cars like the NSX please don't use KBB, it's definitely not accurate for the NSX.

Frankly if I was selling one and you tried to mention KBB I'd ask you to go away....cars like this vary in price because each owner takes care of their ride in different ways. Check all the things mentioned above as that will determine the price.

Back