looking @ purchasing 91-92 NSX...

Whats up everyone?!

So I have seriously been looking @ purchasing a NSX very soon...as my driving record will clear off a couple points in the next few months...

I am 21 years of age, so I know my premiums will probably be high...but I seen in other threads that ppl around my same age range are paying $1400-2000 a year for full coverage on their NSX's....are you guys stating to the insurance that its a pleasure car/weekend driver/etc.?
Please give me tips and advice on how to lower the premium in anyway possible! :)

My insurance premiums have been quite high as I had a bunch of tickets and a couple accidents that were my fault since I was 16, so I am just hoping that the insurance companies would even cover me on this car! Points and all that are suppose to be cleared from your record every 3 years right??

Any input would help out folks!

Last edited:
I would think most NSX owners have their vehicle listed as used for pleasure. Your best bet would be to call perspective insurance companies and ask for quotes. I would venture that the vast majority of NSX owners have pretty clean driving records so as far as suggestions I can only say that depending on your financial situation a higher deductible may lower your premium if that is your main concern. I applaud your efforts which have allowed you to be in the position to afford such a car at 21, however although the price of entry for NSX ownership has come down considerably over the years please also consider the servicing cost associated with buying a 15-16 year old vehicle. Please do not take this statement personally but if you are having trouble budgeting for the car and insurance payment, purchasing a 91-92 NSX now may put you in a bad financial situation if the vehicle were to require maintenance and or repairs, which unfortunately have not come down in price as the vehicle has depreciated. Best of luck :smile:

Thanks guys!

A question for you 91-92 owners, have you guys encountered any major problems or any common ones that frequently pop up?
I know about the snap-ring tranny problems and what not...just want to make a wise investment, otherwise I can invest more in a newer model to be safe in the long run...

Besides lots of fairly expensive mods I didn't need., here are most of the ones I can remember over the past 3 years of ownership:

Cam and Galley plugs (oil leaks)
Window fix-it thingies (preventative)
Repair climate controller
Repair one speaker, then the subwoofer
Fix broken driver's door handle
Replace clutch master cylinder
Repair engine hatch and trunk struts.
Repair constant cycling ABS system
Replace broken coolant pipe
Replace timing belt/water pump
New OEM clutch (1st lasted about 50K miles)
3 sets of expensive rear tires, 1 set front
All new hoses (2 ruptured)
Replace tranny after snap ring broke
New condensor fan motors (yes, there are 2)
Clean/fix noisy aspirator fan
Change to newer freon system
1 repaired CD player, then a new one
New pan gasket
New Evaporator (very expensive repair)
+ usual wear-n-tear stuff (brake pads, oil, alignments, other fluids, new battery, etc...)
Repair one cracked aftermarket wheel (partially covered under warranty)

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but I didn't go though receipts. I'm sure most '91-94 owners have had many of the same repairs. Proper service on an NSX can be costly. But, a lot cheaper and more reliable than an F-car.

Besides lots of fairly expensive mods I didn't need., here are most of the ones I can remember over the past 3 years of ownership:

Cam and Galley plugs (oil leaks)
Window fix-it thingies (preventative)
Repair climate controller
Repair one speaker, then the subwoofer
Fix broken driver's door handle
Replace clutch master cylinder
Repair engine hatch and trunk struts.
Repair constant cycling ABS system
Replace broken coolant pipe
Replace timing belt/water pump
New OEM clutch (1st lasted about 50K miles)
3 sets of expensive rear tires, 1 set front
All new hoses (2 ruptured)
Replace tranny after snap ring broke
New condensor fan motors (yes, there are 2)
Clean/fix noisy aspirator fan
Change to newer freon system
1 repaired CD player, then a new one
New pan gasket
New Evaporator (very expensive repair)
+ usual wear-n-tear stuff (brake pads, oil, alignments, other fluids, new battery, etc...)
Repair one cracked aftermarket wheel (partially covered under warranty)

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but I didn't go though receipts. I'm sure most '91-94 owners have had many of the same repairs. Proper service on an NSX can be costly. But, a lot cheaper and more reliable than an F-car.

Sell me those white wheels I have been after for several years and you can get some of that investment back. ;)

Sell me those white wheels I have been after for several years and you can get some of that investment back. ;)

HRE will sell you an exact version for $2K each, GPW powder coating included free...:biggrin: They might even sell you my cracked one, they've had for 3 weeks now, at a discounted price. At least, it's being replaced mostly under warranty.:rolleyes:

Back