Looking for recommended Acura tech in Bay Area

I'm about to buy one in the bay area (east bay side) and I'm looking for a good tech to bring the car to before purchasing it. I've heard good things about Jim Russell in Redwood City but he's a tad too far from the east bay and they're book until next week. I'd like to get this done by this weekend. Anyone have a recommendation?

myf16 said:
Don Lam at hilltopautoservice.com (Daly City). Worth the drive.

If I was going to go that far, I might as well take it to the Redwood City one. I'm looking for one preferably on the east bay side. If there isn't one I'll probably request to take it to Redwood City anyways.

Any place open on a Saturday?

Congrats

Damage,
I'm glad to see you found one. Most independent shops are not open on Saturday. Your options would be Don (Don is probably booked up already, but call) or dealership. If you are serious about getting your car checked out then going to Redwood City or SF would be worth it. Afterall, you are in the East Bay and both of those areas are a 45 minute drive. Think of it as your first road trip in your new car.

Re: Congrats

mickeylex said:
Damage,
I'm glad to see you found one. Most independent shops are not open on Saturday. Your options would be Don (Don is probably booked up already, but call) or dealership. If you are serious about getting your car checked out then going to Redwood City or SF would be worth it. Afterall, you are in the East Bay and both of those areas are a 45 minute drive. Think of it as your first road trip in your new car.

Well I haven't bought it yet. I'm in the process so I'm trying to find one close to the seller so he won't back out of the deal due to hassles. He wants to take it to his current dealership, but I'd like to avoid that in case there's any bias there. :)

Redwood City is unfortunately booked up for almost a couple of weeks. :(

Who's Jim Russell in Redwood City? Is he at a dealership, or is he an independent? I've never heard of him. But regardless of distance, Don is a good technician and a great value.

As far as a hassle to check it out goes, perhaps he'd be happier to just let you or a club member go through the car using the Used NSX Checklist

checklist

The used NSX checklist is a great starting point. Maybe before going to the trouble of getting an appt. you can go over the car in detail using the checklist. That will point out any potential problems right off the bat.

Japanese Beetle in Sunnyvale

I've been taking my '89 Honda CRX si to Japanese Beetle in Sunnyvale (Honda and Acura service) for 14 years. They're awesome. It was a natural to have them do my NSX service once I bought that three years ago. If that's too far for you to drive, keep in mind that Consumer Reports surveys always show dramatically lower customer satisfaction with dealer service than with independent shops, so try to find an independent Acura shop near you. Check out Checkbook.org for specific recommendations (this is the branch of Consumer Reports that surveys LOCAL businesses...I'm a member and it's well worth the money to join [a high rating here is how I discovered Japanese Beetle in the first place!]).

Hi,

I would recommend my service department at Acura of Pleasanton. We have two dedicated master NSX technicans. And of course I would recommend them because I have trusted them with my own car.

NSX88 said:
Hi,

I would recommend my service department at Acura of Pleasanton. We have two dedicated master NSX technicans. And of course I would recommend them because I have trusted them with my own car.

I can attest to Acura of Pleasanton's excellent service department -- regarding my Acura CLS 6MT in which they've done all the services and Comptech mods. As far as my NSX, I haven't got enough miles yet to bring it into them for its first service. :D

Pleasanton did the full service on my '01 NSX and were very careful with the car. With Brandee being there as well, you ought to be in good shape.

ChopsJazz said:
Who's Jim Russell in Redwood City? Is he at a dealership, or is he an independent? I've never heard of him. But regardless of distance, Don is a good technician and a great value.

Jim is the service manager at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. I am surprised you have never heard of him, Ken, as I have recommended him several times in this forum.

See for example
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18076
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34471
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30808

In the third one, you'll find RAVN NSX and ASHIK recommending him as well. I am surprised you missed it, as you contributed to this thread in between our recommendations! :-)

Best wishes,
Chip

Chip, I am suprised to see this thread resurface. You'll see that I asked who Jim was back in Jan. of 2004. Since then your posts came in June of '04 and April of '05. I must have missed your original post back in June of 2003.

I've got it handled now! :smile:

Back