Looking for pre-purchase inspection recommendations in MA/CT

I'm getting my ducks in a row in advance of looking at an NSX for sale. I would definately need a pre-purchase inspection done by a shop familiar with these cars. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Feel free to PM or reply.....either way.

thanks, jack

Where? It's a long distance from Boston to Greenwich, and a place to inspect a car in one would be way too far if the car is located in the other.

In Lowell MA, Mechanics Direct has NSX service experience.

The acknowledged expert in New England is Mechanics Direct. In the New York area it is Larry B. Not sure whether the owner would be willing to go that far for an inspection or not, but those would be the best places to have the car inspected if you're a buyer.

You're right next to me, I'm in Upton, so let me know if you acquire one or if you have any questions. Thanks.

New London CT area is where the car is now.
This situation comes up from time to time, when a car is in a relatively small city that either doesn't have an Acura dealer, or has one but they're unlikely to do much NSX service work. And while I'm not familiar with Antonino Acura in nearby Groton, I suspect they're in the latter category.

So then you have a couple of options. If the seller is willing, you can ask them to take it to an experienced NSX servicer at some distance (Greenwich Acura - 92 miles, Mechanics Direct - 114 miles, Larry B - 148 miles). Or, you can get it inspected by the local Acura dealer (Antonino, in this case). If the local Acura dealer doesn't do a lot of NSX service work, they will check for the same things they check on any other car - battery charge, tire and brake pad thickness, etc. If they're thorough on their cosmetic evaluation (not everyone is), they may be able to give you an opinion on the condition of the exterior paint, interior leather, etc. If they're thorough on their mechanical evaluation (again, not everyone is), they'll do a compression and leakdown test. If they're good with suspension work, they'll check for play in the ball joints, etc. What they would probably miss is checking for NSX-specific problems, like the window regulators, snap ring status, etc (although you can ask them to write down the transmission serial number... or, if it's a '92, or a '91 with a VIN higher than MT002400, you can just assume it's a snap ring range car). It may not be as thorough as the evaluation of an NSX expert, but they can catch a lot of basic stuff, if they're thorough (which is a big "if" - some service departments are better than others). It may be your best (and only) option for buying this particular car.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back