Looking for new laptop. Help please.

As stated above, I'm looking for a laptop. I've never purchased one before and don't really know too much about them. I don't need it to do all sorts of crap. Just your basic business laptop. I don't need a DVD burner or anything like that. The most important thing I've been looking at is the warranty. I'm going to be using this for business purposes so it MUST be reliable. I know they are electronic devices and it will probably have glitches now and then, but I don't want to have to ship it off somewhere for awhile and not be without it. Does Best Buy or Circuit City offer anything like that? Do they do in house repairs? Are these places any good? What about Comp USA? Are there any brands out there to stay away from? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

For some here it may be no surprise that I propose you this one (of course with about the same desktop picture). It's a PowerBook G4 titanium and of course it's from apple - I would call it very reliable.

Attachments

• laptop.jpg
    laptop.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 317
Last year I bought a Dell laptop and made sure to upgrade the video memory so it would play DVD's for my kids when we are travelling. Coffee was spilled on it by my son and left for a few days... NO laptop will survive that.

Unless you are doing major graphics on it, just get the best priced Dell or HP. They are both very reliable and will last for years. Toshiba also makes good laptops. I usually check consumerreports.org for the latest ratings.

NSX-Racer said:
For some here it may be no surprise that I propose you this one (of course with about the same desktop picture). It's a PowerBook G4 titanium and of course it's from apple - I would call it very reliable.

I second that. Mac OS X is very stable (it runs on Unix underpinnings) and it is very easy to use. Despite the stereotypical criticism most of the major types of applications/peripherals are available for the Mac (aside from some of the games) and even if not you can run Windows applications using VirtualPC emulation.

Of course I am a bit biased as I type this on my Apple iBook (dual USB) laptop while sitting at my desk which also holds two other Macs... As a former computer programmer I've used all kinds of computers but for personal use at home I choose Mac (my Windows PC is sitting in my closet).

All that aside, if you are searching for good deals on laptops (windows or mac) you may want to keep an eye on devsdeals.com or xpbargains.com for the latest sales and online coupons. Brick and mortar electronics superstores like BestBuy and CircuitCity may not have the best prices and their service is really hit-or-miss with most laptops being sent out to regional repair centers. I believe that CompUSA will sell you an extended service plan on items purchased elsewhere (online) as long as you allow them to inspect it first. Mom and pop computer shops (are there any left?) may give you the best service and on-site repair but will most likely be the most expensive.

I don't like Macs, so I would not recommened them at all -- for no reason other than I don't like them.

Laptops are tricky because they cost a fortune and they go out of date VERY fast.

Also, don't get tricked into getting the biggest display size because that tends to lead to the heaviest laptop around. If you haul it around a lot, you will be sorry.

As for brands, I have found the Sony VAIO to be a great laptop, but the battery life is awful. I have had 2 of them.

I would probably look at the Dell's next time. I would have got one instead of the Sony but they had the worst Video options at the time.

I am also shopping for one but did not hear any comments on Gateway. They are rated high in CR but their laptop's repair history seems to be alarming. I have good history with their desktop series with occasional issues which were taken care of under warranty.

Actually I didn't even say anything about macs because I went pc long ago. BUT, if apple fits your needs then by all means, they are a VERY stable operating system. In my experience, much more so than pc.

For me, it's a software availability issue that was the reason I went with pc's.

Again in terms of the software issue most of the major "classes" of applications are available for MacOS. Certainly some specific brands or certain very specialized "niche" applicatons may not be. I guess it depends on how specialized/specific the software is that needs to be used. Regardless, emulation is available if needed.

iBook laptops w/ G4 processor start at $1099 and Powerbook G4 laptops start at $1599 both come loaded with a variety of software.

Swing by your local CompUSA's Mac section or Apple store and just check them out... it certainly wouldn't hurt and, who knows, you may be surprised.

Also I agree with other posts in recommending that the largest screen size may not be the most advantageous if your intent is to buy a laptop primarily for portability. The additional weight, cost, and diminished battery life would be concerns. However if the laptop is going to spend most of its time sitting on a desk tethered to an AC outlet then it may be irrelevant.

Last edited:
I never really thought about the Mac. I will have to look into that. There is one Mom and Pop store around here that I would love to buy one from, but their cheapest one is like $2400. That's about double what I wanted to pay. They kick ass though.
I've been looking at Toshiba's, I think I might go with one of theirs. I've also been looking at Dell. The company I currently work for has a huge account with them and we get a discount, but sometimes there are better deals to be had without the so called discount. I'll check out those sites you listed as well. Thanks for everyone's help. :D

I'd recommend the R or T series IBM thinkpads. You mention reliability and they have many features others don't. They are a little more expensive ($1400-$1600)

The have dual latching screens on their case. They use the pentium M processors which give extra battery life. They also have a 'shock absorber' harddrive system that parks the harddrive under excessive vibration.

Where they really separate themselves though is in their patented thinkvantage technology. It's their software package. You would really have to read about these features. Stuff like accessing the internet from the bios area if your system is down. Recover and restore above and beyond what windows offers. (This can keep you from having to send away a notebook) Features for network connections from different locations without having to change window settings/printer settings. Check out there 'access ibm' feature too.

White92 said:
I never really thought about the Mac. I will have to look into that. There is one Mom and Pop store around here that I would love to buy one from, but their cheapest one is like $2400. That's about double what I wanted to pay. They kick ass though.

It doesn't have to be so expensive (although it's really quality hardware you pay for - compare the mechanical parts with some cheap notebooks or laptops!) New ones start at $ 1,599. I recently bought a used PB G4 for my girlfriend, including airport (not for Boeings of course, it's the wireless LAN card) and paid much less than half of what you mentioned. Usualy you just have to buy a new battery because these tend to loose capacity.

Don't worry too much about the warranty issue - newer PBs have no serious failure quotes (I know I sound like someone with a mission).

For more stunning information you may look here

Last edited:
I've used IBM laptops for a few years now, and they have been very good and reliable. They may not be the prettiest around, but in the PC world, they are pretty good! Pricewise, they are higher than the likes of Dell and Toshiba, but I personally prefer IBM-s. The T series are the best compromise between power and weight, but more pricey, but R series is not bad either.

I had a Dell laptop a few years ago and they were not as sturdy as the IBM-s (Not to bad mouth Dell, I like their desktops better than IBM desktops!!).

Cheers .. Gus

I own an HP and Toshiba laptop and of the two, the Toshiba is better. When When I shop for computers, desktop or laptop, I usually get the newest processor offered at the time with the largest hard drive. I do this because I know that in six months to a year that it will be outdated, but my for my needs it will serve me well for a few years. Furhtermore, and this is just my opinion, the one laptop that I use as my digital darkroom (Toshiba) has and never wiil be connected to the internet. I firmly believe that the internet destroys computers because of all the spyware and viruses that infiltrate our systems.

There is no 100% correct answer to your question. It all depends on your budget and what you will be using it for.

Good luck.

Furhtermore, and this is just my opinion, the one laptop that I use as my digital darkroom (Toshiba) has and never wiil be connected to the internet. I firmly believe that the internet destroys computers because of all the spyware and viruses that infiltrate our systems.

That's funny that you mention that because connecting to the internet is what I will be doing with my laptop 99% of the time. :)

Speaking of the internet...

MacOS is much less susceptible to viruses than Windows PCs for a number of reasons. First the OS is more secure in general and second fewer people choose to create viruses on/for the Mac.

Mac laptops are all either pre-packaged with or are pre-wired for the aforementioned AirPort wireless (802.11 WiFi) wireless netwoking and are compatible with wireless and wired home or office networks.

I run Mcaffee Virus scan on all my PC's and have NEVER had a virus problem. Any pc connected to the internet though will get spyware. I HATE that crap. It should be illegal. :mad:

Also a perk of my current job, I get free us of Norton even for our own computers at home. I would never log onto the net without something like this! It's so crazy what is out there to screw up your system. I just checked my quarantine on Norton and I have 3 Beagle and 2 NetSkys in there right now. That would suck without Norton! I agree with you. Spyware should be illegal. I can't believe it's not.

Hi

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S6120 Ultra portable myself and they are good.

I work in a store where we also sell a lot of laptops. My expirience is that Toshiba are good. We seldom have any complaints or customers that need to send them off to service. Fujitsu Siemens are also very good machines.

We also sell HP and Compaq. We have had more trouble with those then other brands thats for sure. I do not like HP because they have always dissapointed me in customer care. They lose things that we send in and stuff just takes a lot of time. But that is my opinion.

I have no specific model you should look into, but Fujitsu Siemens or Toshiba is what I would go for. With a Centrino processor. They have built in 802.11(x). Mine also has Bluetooth and infrared.

Regards

Mine also has Bluetooth and infrared

I haven't gotten that far into the fun stuff. What exactly would you use these for? Real world applications....

You should look into getting a good firewall (such as ZoneAlarm) as well as Norton. I also use a spyware program Ad-aware, spybot is good also. Use these 3 and never download a "foreign" program and you'll be fine.

never download a "foreign" program and you'll be fine.

This might sound dumb, but aren't all programs that are downloaded foreign?

For example: you go to microsoft.com and download a patch vs. downloading a program attached to an e-mail. But you are right, there is an inherent risk when downloading.

For example: you go to microsoft.com and download a patch vs. downloading a program attached to an e-mail.

Oh ok. I see now. Everything I download is usually an attachment to an email, so I never thought of downloading anything any other way. :D

I trust email attachments the least. Matter of fact, many viruses are designed to grab email addresses out of your address book (usually outlook) and send the virus to them with messages like "Hi" or "Hello." We got one of these at work and the lady responsible for opening the "foreign" email went running around the building like a loon telling everyone not to open their email... poor thing was hysterical.

Anyway, good luck on whcihever laptop you decide on and keep that coffee away from your keyboard! ;-)

Back