Looking for input from 996 Turbo owners

MJK

Legendary Member
I'm looking for some input from anyone familiar with the 996 turbo scene.

I am looking for a 2002-2005 996 turbo coupe or convertible. 6mt w black interior.
Aiming for an X50, sport seats, full leather car with with up to 45k miles.
Ideal colors would be seal grey or one of the blacks. I'm trying to stay away from yellow or red.
Stock or close with no stories or deferred maintenance.
Don't much care either way about nav, aero or pccb.

Where did you find yours? Checking cars.com, autotrader, rennlist and 6speed. Pickings are slim, particularly from private party.
what would you look for in the $55k range plus or minus some? Is that a reasonable range?
I'm seeing some 997s get down close to $60k. Are these a fool's errand?
What specifically should I look for in/beyond a PPI?
Coupe vs cabrio feedback?
'Any must have' options / mods if you did it again?
I plan on DIY'ing maintenance. I did / do for everything else I ever owned. Any real 'gotcha' items?

This would be an addition to, not replacement of my NSX. Any feedback here? What would you do differently or recommend?

Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited:
Never, ever, get a Porsche cabrio.

The 996tt has one hell of an engine.
The 997s looks 100x better in and out.
And they are great if you're getting an '09+

It depends on your preference and intent for the car, but I'd personally go with the 997.
You won't be disappointed either way.

Thanks for the feedback. Are the cabrio's that unreliable?

As for the 997S, I hadn't really thought too much about that. I meant to say 'I may be talked into stepping up to 997.1TT's also, but would stay at the lower price points.'

Looking for a fun cruiser, occasional HDPE, road trips, canyon carving... basically an NSX with a couple kid seats and some more power.

I don't mind the exterior of the 996TTs, but the interior... well I guess something has to give for that level of 'bang for buck'. I considered a 993TT years ago and in the end 'practicality' won out and I got an e46m3. Oops.

I considered a 993TT years ago and in the end 'practicality' won out and I got an e46m3. Oops.
Now I don't feel so bad about picking a 3000gt over a Supra once.

The cabrios aren't unreliable. It's just the resale value is significantly (for me) worse. And it's just more weight and parts to worry about on an already heavier turbo.
But if you REALLY like a drop top, then the smiles per miles may be worth it.

I think the deal breaker for you would be the PDK on the 997. Try it out. It may be what seals the deal or turns you off.
Both cars are great though and you can't go wrong.

I own a 2002 with 13k, amazing car all around. Can't say enough good things about it. Mine is bone stock, ZERO option car, Yellow and sadly has supple leather-I prefer the standard leather. Paid $52.2k with 9k miles back in 2013. Not sure if that info helps you out as a guide.

I'd recommend this car to anyone and I don't plan on selling. Love the looks and the Twin Turbo/AWD/6 speed combo.

I've driven both. I personally think the 996 is ugly inside and out, but it was plenty fast. The 997 was much nicer imo. If the price was close, 997 all the way. I felt both cars were pretty small inside. No idea where my golf clubs would go!

Last edited:
Options for 6MT coupes seem to be at this point:

Stock garage queen 996TT low miles anywhere from upper 50s to upper 60s depending on options.
mid to upper mile 996TT dealer 'take what you get' trade ins in the mid-40s.
Mid to upper mile 996TT with desirable options (X50, PCCB, TurboS's) and $$$ mods (that I don't want) for upper 50s
Higher mile ex-daily driver 997.1s down in the mid-60s

I'm somewhere between the first option and the last. I am leaning towards the first - I have found a lot of wisdom in the 'buy the best example you can afford' rule in the past.

Thanks again to all who have replied.

Kid,

I sent you a PM on a similar car to yours. Mind having a look and seeing if you see any red flags?

Last edited:
Options for 6MT coupes seem to be at this point:

Stock garage queen 996TT low miles anywhere from upper 50s to upper 60s depending on options.

I am leaning towards the first - I have found a lot of wisdom in the 'buy the best example you can afford' rule in the past.

I sent you a PM, if you need me I'll send you my cell.

Also, as someone who buys/sells sports cars for a living, I always tell my clients to buy the best of the best and you'll never look back. Can't put lipstick on a pig.

I sent you a PM, if you need me I'll send you my cell.

Also, as someone who buys/sells sports cars for a living, I always tell my clients to buy the best of the best and you'll never look back. Can't put lipstick on a pig.

You can in fact put lipstick on a pig, but you'll still have a pig!!!!

With 30K miles, mine had 2 common but relatively minor issues:
i) Cutch accumulator, $400 parts & labor, and
ii) Both window regulators, $250 each side if you DIY
Known common expensive issues which you should research include:
i) 2nd gear popout
ii) rear spoiler leak/malfunction
iii) loose coolant hoses
To me, the 996T is a phenomenal sports car and excellent value for the money. I prefer the feeback on the NSX's clutch and shifter, though.

With 30K miles, mine had 2 common but relatively minor issues:
i) Cutch accumulator, $400 parts & labor, and
ii) Both window regulators, $250 each side if you DIY
Known common expensive issues which you should research include:
i) 2nd gear popout
ii) rear spoiler leak/malfunction
iii) loose coolant hoses
To me, the 996T is a phenomenal sports car and excellent value for the money. I prefer the feeback on the NSX's clutch and shifter, though.

Is the 2nd gear popout from abuse/tracking, ect or a common fault for that model?

Back