Looking for a nice used NSX

New to the forum, and after looking at for sale ads and following up with dealers in the areas where these cars are, am a little jaded on the lack of service performed by dealers. Cannot find VIN numbers in their books. Most of the service has been performed by others. Have owned 4 Acuras Legends, a TL and an RL, and all of the work done by my dealer for 25 years. Trust relationship great!

Now, will keep the 04 RL and look for an NSX.

You have been keeping a good stable!

Welcome.

Happy hunting! :cool: It's soooo much fun :biggrin:

Welcome to prime....

Good luck in the hunt. If I hear anything, I will let you know.

I was at a car show yesterday and somebody mentioned they had seen a Black/Black NSX, but didn't know the year with 32k on it. They said he was asking $32k for it.

I'm guessing it was a 91, but not sure.

Keep us posted and then post pictures when you get it!

Prime members are great and many will check out a car if there is one where they are located and you need a set of eyes.

- Rod

Good luck and prime classifieds has some great deals

New to the forum, and after looking at for sale ads and following up with dealers in the areas where these cars are, am a little jaded on the lack of service performed by dealers. Cannot find VIN numbers in their books. Most of the service has been performed by others. Have owned 4 Acuras Legends, a TL and an RL, and all of the work done by my dealer for 25 years. Trust relationship great!

*very* astute observation, kudos! I do try to warn prospective buyers about this. The fact is, the service issue is a big one.

There are just not that many folks you can trust to work on the NSX (and I mean that LITERALLY)

I'd bet that a *massive* chunk of forum members bring their cars to 1 of like 12 guys *nationwide*

The list of dealers that anyone would say can be trusted to do *serious* work on the NSX is painfully small.

I am fortunate to be in PA near Bernie who is the tech at Davis Acura near Philly and actually is one of the "anointed few" who genuinely knows what he's doing. As a result, I was able to do TB/WP and other service at a real dealer (GASP!)

IMO this is a big downside to the NSX (and I've owned 3 over the course of 9 years, dont get me wrong) and people do need to be aware of it.

It is far easier to get a Ferrari repaired than an NSX (of course also a HELL of a lot more frequent and expensive ;) )

To echo mlambert, make sure your dealer has a tech with demonstrated recent experience working on NSXs. Most Acura dealers have not seen an NSX in years other than to change dead batteries. Many of the NSX certified techs have retired or moved on to other makes/dealers. Dealers will tell you they have an NSX guy, but you should make sure. Ask them how many NSX major services they have done in the last year, i.e., timing belts, snap ring repair, etc.

As an example, my NSX had its timing belt and clutch service done by the PO at a North Carolina dealer in 2006. When I got the car and took it to LarryB (a real expert), we noticed missing valve cover bolts, the oil pressure sender wire pinched under the valve cover, hondabond gooped everywhere, an unlubricated throwout bearing, a jammed snap ring and bad countershaft bearing, and a crossthreaded clutch slave mounting hole. A dealer did this. A dealer! :mad: After seeing that, I don't trust any of them except for the ones with demonstrated experience. I would caution you to make sure yours has it.

To add to what Honcho and Mlambert are saying, not only is it important to know where you'll take your new "prize" but it is extremely important to know as Honcho says who's hands it's been in. Most dealers you will find have extremely limited records on a car - that in my opinion is one huge negative. Dealers, unless the lucky Acura dealer that actually has a good tech that has also looked over the car for the life of the car or a good chunk of it - imho - you should just stay away from them or at least look at them as a last resort with few exceptions.

In that regard - having specific cars with specific history or lack of is always good for comments from this group. We'll surely tell you what we think. I've been thru this and others here have as well - small dealers are the worst too. They get a low miler and think immediately they have a super find and want tons for it. Not the way I'd start my search. Much easier to wait for the one offered by an individual with loads of records and that is especially true of the older models, which in my opinion are some of the best.

If you're looking for an 05 well that's pretty easy by comparison.

Back