looking at an NSX that has only been driven 1k miles in the last 7 years

looking at an NSX with 35k miles but current owner has only put 1k miles on it in the last 7 years.

It appears timing belt is original (16 years old) so of course I will have to replace that.

I think 1k miles in the last 7 years is too few. To me, cars need to be driven. I make sure I drive my cars at least once a week.

What is your opinion?

thank you,

G

looking at an NSX with 35k miles but current owner has only put 1k miles on it in the last 7 years.

It appears timing belt is original (16 years old) so of course I will have to replace that.

I think 1k miles in the last 7 years is too few. To me, cars need to be driven. I make sure I drive my cars at least once a week.

What is your opinion?

thank you,

G

if my math is right it's a 96. so the transmission shouldn't be an issue. SO!! before I did anything, have them change ALL fluids. Check the condition of the brakes pads, spark plugs etc. OR just slow test drive. Then right to getting the timing belt changed and serviced

I don't think a car that is driven more or less than a thousand miles for seven years would be a problem. It just depends on the owner and his conditions (work, family, etc.). Did the owner at least start the car and let it run?

I drove less than a thousand miles last year and it's becoming more of a trend this year. This for me was due to carpooling for work and not wanting to park my car at certain locations (downtown, gym, etc.).

Your best bet is to have a PPI and decide from there :cool:

Last edited:
I don't think a car that is driven more or less than a thousand miles for seven years would be a problem. It just depends on the owner and his conditions (work, family, etc.). Did the owner at least start the car and let it run?

I drove less than a thousand miles last year and it's becoming more of a trend this year. This for me was due to carpooling for work and not wanting to park my car at certain locations (downtown, gym, etc.).

Your best bet is to have a PPI and decide from there :cool:

Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly. 1,000 miles TOTAL in 7 years, so the car has only been driven 140 miles per year.

I would assume it was been sitting most of the last 7 years

That's what I thought I read.

I would not go banging around in the car until you change all the fluids. Then run it slow to start with. This is what I would have them do before I even considered buying unless you work out a great deal to take it as is and do the work yourself.

That's what I thought I read.

I would not go banging around in the car until you change all the fluids. Then run it slow to start with. This is what I would have them do before I even considered buying unless you work out a great deal to take it as is and do the work yourself.

Seller wants top dollar. I think I will pass on this one. I don't want to get into a money pit.

My 97 NSX was only driven 3000 miles in 7 years. I spent around $4k to get all the major services done, all fluids changed, and all hoses replaced. So basically all new rubber parts in the engine now, and I factored that into the sales price. If your seller isn't willing to do that, move on.

My 97 NSX was only driven 3000 miles in 7 years. I spent around $4k to get all the major services done, all fluids changed, and all hoses replaced. So basically all new rubber parts in the engine now, and I factored that into the sales price. If your seller isn't willing to do that, move on.

sellers not willing to discount. He keeps saying the paint looks great, seems like he never did any maintenance

I have just put 306 miles on my car in the past 6yrs 106 days. My car sat a majority of 6yrs68 days before driving the 306miles. The normal fuel,fluids and oil change if the car had been started during the duration it sat. If the car was in sound engine condition you shouldn't have any issues. I would get the tb,wp done.

Yup. That's what it would take to make it reliable. That includes all the hoses in the cooling system. And I'd suggest doing the crankshaft pulley too.

Yup. That's what it would take to make it reliable. That includes all the hoses in the cooling system. And I'd suggest doing the crankshaft pulley too.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ken. I had the crankshaft pulley replaced, and also installed TitaniumDave's shield for extra peace of mind. ;)

Last edited:
Also,

Don't forget about the tires. They are probably safe to put around town in, but I would replace them ASAP before driving quickly or long distances at all.
Great point. The tires are probably flat spotted from sitting around for so long too. I replaced all the tires on silver, and got new rears for the blue (then switched the wheel setups between the two). This stuff quickly add$ up!

The tires may (or may not) be okay. You can inspect the tires for any signs of aging (e.g. cracking) and also for the DOT code that tells you when they were manufactured. The Tire Rack says that tires can generally last 6-10 years from the manufacture date. If they're stored indoors (on or off the car), especially in a climate-controlled environment, you would think they would last up around the maximum end of that range. For more info:

Tire Aging - Part 1
Tire Aging - Part 2
Determining the Age of a Tire

You should be incarcerated! Come to think of it, were you while the car sat idle? :biggrin:

My build thread would explain a majority of not driving. I actually took her out today and she runs the same as when I first purchased ten yrs ago.

Ok, so you get the car, replace all the old stuff and enjoy a low mileage NSX that is just now broken in!

Did I miss confirmation of the year and price of the car? Also, what records come with it? These are all important in deciding what is fair and what is not.

Dont think he ever said what the price was. But it doesn't sound like the seller wants to even haggle on getting the basic service stuff done as part of working the deal. ..I'd walk

Dont think he ever said what the price was. But it doesn't sound like the seller wants to even haggle on getting the basic service stuff done as part of working the deal. ..I'd walk

I understand that part, but it depends on the price of the vehicle too. If the pricing is reasonable, and he just does not want to budge further down, that is significantly different than if he is $8,000 above market and sticking to his guns. You know what I mean?

Back