Long time lurker, FINALLY an owner.

Hello everyone, my name is Chris and while i just registered today (i use web mail), I have been lurking around this board for many years and I finally was in a situation where i could buy an NSX and i did so yesturday.

It is a Black 91 MT w/ Ivory interior. VIN JH4NA1150MT003051

I dont have any photos yet but here is a copy of an old add for it here on prime: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92370

As you can see from the pictures it needs some cosmetic work and with 133k on the original clutch i will need to replace that soon as well.

I may have jumped the gun but i already ordered the missing interior panel from my local dealer and a few other odds and ends that werent too expensive (screws, bolts, clips etc.).

My plans for the car are to first; restore her to the exterior condition ALL NSX's should be in and then start getting the interior cleaned up and seats recovered. Mechanically the car is pretty solid and neither me nor my local mechanic could spot much that needed attention. The one BIG mechanical concern i do have is that i do not know when the timing belt was last changed. Anyone know a way to tell?

Other problems that i noticed was that the trunk was dripping wet after the 2 hour ride home. It was not wet outside and after searching many threads here on prime about the subject i think i must have either bad tail light gaskets or warped tail lights. Well i know they are a little warped because i can see a slight bulge but i doubt that can cause the rain forest i found in the trunk. My best guess is that most of the moisture was caused by a wet car cover stored in the trunk and unfortunately it funked out the trunk carpet something awful. I am in the process of trying the "sun method" of drying and deoderizing but i will probably just remove the insulation from the felt and replace it with new and febreeze the felt. I plan to leave everything out of the trunk until i find the source of the problem as to not funk it out again.

I would like to take this time to thank everyone who contributes to this site and say that i honestly would not have bought an NSX without the info i got here and i thank everyone for that because i LOVE the car. I use to own a 300z TT and a Supra TT and those cars also have great support sites.

I would also like to apologize in advance for my poor spelling and grammar.

I hope to meet some members soon and i plan on keeping my NSX for a long time.

Well, off to the WTB forum to post some of the parts i need.

Fantastic and good luck. Tim @ Ray Laks Acura gives great deals on OEM parts plus no sales tax since you're out of state. Check with them before buying from your local dealer. 888-ray-laks

Have fun and enjoy.

Nice!

If that car truly is as advertised you got a great deal! It looks like a little TLC is all that car needs to be a fantastic driver.

Congrats, and welcome.j

Welcome and Congrats on the purchase. Hopefully we can have some metroplex meets soon. I'm new to the area and It would be great to get to know the local NSX owners as well.

Welcome.Nice intro to your purchase.Here is a start on your taillight and trunk issue http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86326&highlight=water+in+taillights. There are many threads stored in the database on just this issue.Tell us more about your nsx search,ie how long was your search and how many cars did you look at.did you drive it home?Had you had someone check it out first ect?

Well the long story is that i am a sports car freak from birth and at 16 i bought my first. It was a 96 Transam and after owning it less than a year i wanted to get out of it and into a Vette and before i turned 18 i did just that. In the Vette i started attending street races and got hooked (not the type on the highway but rather the 2am warehouse parking lot kind). Well one night i was out at said races and there was this Mustang with slicks that was pulling the front end off the ground and after i watched him beat a GSX i saw a guy offer to race him in an old eagle talon. The mustang didnt want to "waste his time" but the talon owner put up some $ and soon the race was on. I watched that turbo charged talon make a fool out of that stang and the next day i was in the hunt for a new car, a turbo charged one. After debating the 300z, rx7, 300gt and supra i bought a 94 TT Supra. It didnt take long for me to mod it and get over 470rwhp out of it and to this day i still miss that car but i lived in a crappy college apartment at the time and the car got allot of attention from the wrong kind of people and so i made what i thought was a "smart move" and sold it. I bought an SL500 and a sport bike with the money and had both of them less than 6 months before i bought my next car which was a 300z TT. I wasnt really looking for a Z but i saw one for sale that had all the Stillen goodies i would have added and so i pulled the trigger. That car was a nightmare and in the year i owned it i had it in my posesion for less than 3 months because it was ALWAYS being repaired, but never "fixed". When my wife got pregnant it was a easy decision to ditch the Z car and i traded it in on a 92 Acura Legend (my favorite sedan at that time). I still have the legend today and while it might look pretty shabby it is still running strong with nealy 200k miles on it. About 6 months ago i got the green light from the wife to buy another "toy". I bought a 2005 American Ironhorse Outlaw. It is a sweet bike and fun to ride but unfortuntely for me i cant get over the idea of getting hurt while riding it and im too good of a father to leave my daughter without a dad because some idiot wasnt paying attention and killed me so i have it listed for sale locally and started looking for my next toy. The NSX has been in my thoughts ever since i first drove one over 10 years ago (right before i bought the Supra). I had been keeping an eye on them for the past 2 years and the timing (and price) just seemed too right on this one to pass up, so i bought it.

I had looked at two others recently. A 2000 model with 19k for $60k at a dealership (too much) and then drove another (a 1993 with 25k for $40k) here locally. I actually made an offer on the 93 but the sales guy never got back to me and im kind of glad now he didnt.

I live in DFW TX and saw this one for sale in Austin. I spoke to the owner (a prime member) and he seemed open and honest about the cars flaws. I flew in to Austin Friday morning, inspected the car myself (with allot of help from this board) and drove it home that afternoon.

That is the long story.

Nice!

If that car truly is as advertised you got a great deal! It looks like a little TLC is all that car needs to be a fantastic driver.

Congrats, and welcome.j

I believe the car is as advertised. The mechanics seem very solid and the exterior and interior flaws dont seem unmanagable. I have already begun cleaning it up and should have it looking show room within a few weeks. The biggest expense im looking at right now is new seat covers but i want to hold off on them for awhile until i figure out a plan for the entire interior.

Congrats on your purchase, Chris!

I remember reading the seller believed the timing belt had already been done (here). Did the seller provide you with documents he/she received from the previous owner? If not, but if an Acura dealership performed the service, you can trying calling the dealership that did the work to verify. They should be able to look up the details by your VIN.

Regarding the interior: it might be a good opportunity to go with a color change - maybe red. It would basically take a carpet set (something similar to this aftermarket version) and seat covers, provided the remaining ivory pieces are dyed red or black.

For the faded paint on the B-pillars, you might want to consider replacing them with a used set instead of having them repainted. It should not be hard to find a used pair in good condition since some people replace the stock ones with carbon-fiber versions. I'm sure someone has an extra set collecting dust in their garage.

Fantastic and good luck. Tim @ Ray Laks Acura gives great deals on OEM parts plus no sales tax since you're out of state. Check with them before buying from your local dealer. 888-ray-laks

Have fun and enjoy.

I will give him a call. I need to get a service manual so that i know exactly what parts i need to order. I tried the service manuals linked to on the site but the Zip file doesnt work and the Dali version takes forever to view. I plan to buy my own copy asap.

The only things ive bought so far are the missing interior panel (under dash) which i paid $95 for and i also bought the bolts and clips to mount the new lip when i get it. I know i paid too much for those because they were $3.50 for the bolt and $4.65 for the nuts (which seems nuts). I also picked up a few oil filters ($12.55 each) and the screws needed to mounth the interior panel. I figured the panel and a few bolts wouldnt be that much but i spent just over $300 on this stuff and plan to call Tim the next time i need something (which will be Monday im sure).

I will give him a call. I need to get a service manual so that i know exactly what parts i need to order. I tried the service manuals linked to on the site but the Zip file doesnt work and the Dali version takes forever to view. I plan to buy my own copy asap.

The only things ive bought so far are the missing interior panel (under dash) which i paid $95 for and i also bought the bolts and clips to mount the new lip when i get it. I know i paid too much for those because they were $3.50 for the bolt and $4.65 for the nuts (which seems nuts). I also picked up a few oil filters ($12.55 each) and the screws needed to mounth the interior panel. I figured the panel and a few bolts wouldnt be that much but i spent just over $300 on this stuff and plan to call Tim the next time i need something (which will be Monday im sure).

If you want to get part numbers, check out www.acuraoemparts.com

Then call Tim. Great deals, great service, free shipping, no tax and very helpful. He's gone out of his way for me on more than one occasion.

Welcome to Prime!

It would seem you've got yourself a nice bargain and with some effort you'll have it in tip top shape.

I too recently purchased a 1991 Berlina Black NSX with the Ivory interior. What seems to be common on the NSX drivers seats is the bolster tearing from its age. I'm planning on having the seats recovered to stock if I can somehow or else I might keep mine the way they are as its all original.

If your carpet is old and torn you can purchase replacement carpet from www.scienceofspeed.com. Or else a good detailer will be able to clean them.

Have fun with the X.

My friend tried to get me to buy that car. I don't personally know the PO but I'm good friends with several of his good friends. I think that value wise it's a great deal I just don't have time/energy to take advantage of it. The black/ivory coupe combo has always been my favorite. Enjoy the car.

Nice story Steve. Since your Legend is holding up, what were you thinking going with other brands? ahah..altho I am not sure about the market in the states, it seems considerably cheaper than up here in Canada. For a 2000 19k asking $60k, that would be gone in a short time. Especially now that our $ is at par with you guys. You're Nsx at 20g's is a great price with the market up here. At 20g's you'd most likely find an Nsx with a Ford tranny or something rediculous like this. Can't wait to see what you will do to this new toy of yours. Congrats!

It looks like an excellent value and I wish you many hours of enjoyment.

I'm glad to see someone bought that car. As for TLC goes, I always get a feeling of accomplishment when doing so, although sometimes I do get carried away and can't stop.:rolleyes: but nonetheless it can be fun and makes me feel good when a job is complete.:smile:

i am the person that sold him the NSX :)

i am sad to have had to have let it go... but you know the drill... education is more important than any car. you can be sure i will be looking for an NSX again as soon as i graduate!

i am the person that sold him the NSX :)

i am sad to have had to have let it go... but you know the drill... education is more important than any car. you can be sure i will be looking for an NSX again as soon as i graduate!

Vivek is very friendly and helpful and is a prime example of some of the great people here on NSX Prime.

Thanks again Vivek.

Vivek is very friendly and helpful and is a prime example of some of the great people here on NSX Prime.

Thanks again Vivek.

thanks chris :)
i'm glad the car is in good hands. if you end up wanting to sell it come may/june... i just might buy it back from ya!:tongue:

Back