Long Isalnd - BBQ

Hello Everyone,

I just want to get a quick idea of who is going to attend the BBQ in Long Island from NJ, and Pennsylvania. Don and I have tentative plans to meet at the Menlo Park Mall Saturday morning and head out there together over the Outer Bridge. If anyone from the area wants to meet with us and get a small caravan going please respond. Depending on where you are coming from New Jersey or Pennsylvania, Menlo Park is a great spot. Once I firm up the plans with Don, I'll post the time we are meeting, I can also provide directions if anyone needs them.

John

I'll be leaving from Staten Island so I could meet up with you if you are going through SI.Let me know your intended path.

Plan is to take the Outerbridge Crossing.

Looks like Tony and Larry G will be able to make it too.

We were thinking of leaving around 8:30 which in theory should give us plenty of time to get there. Does that makes sense to you DocJohn?

Also, can you suggest a meeting place in SI?

Don,

Just to confirm our plans. We'll meet at 8:30 AM Saturday at the Menlo Park Mall. Why don't we meet at the movie theatre entrance, which is at the back of the mall on the top floor of the parking garage. This should be the easiest place to find. Hopefully DocJohn can figure out a place in SI for the 5 of us (I think 5) to meet up.

I haven't printed out directions yet, however, in Ernie's reply to my email he said to use Yahoo for directions, NOT map quest.

Can you please pass all this info to Larry G, and Tony. I'll talk to you soon.

John

My suggestion as far as a route there would be to take the staten island expressay to the verazzano Bridge then take the belt parkway toward kennedy airport rite to the cross island parkway to northern blvd heading east to Bryant ave follow this road it leads rite into glen cove ave.....glen cove ave then turns into brewster st...go left onto north cottage row then right on chestnut st make a left at reynolds road and your there.

Ok so lets see here

verazzano bridge to belt parkway east/kennedy airport

Belt to cross island parkway

cross island to northern blvd east

northern blvd to bryant ave goin north or left of your direction of travel toward water you seen.

bryant turns into glen cove ave which turns into brewster st

Its not far from here so go slow....

brewster st go left onto north cottage row

north cotttage row turn right onto chestnut st

chestnut st make left onto reynolds road ....stop at 9 reynolds road.

Hi all.Well believe it or not there is'nt really a great place to meet right off the SI expway going twords brooklyn.There are numerous paralel access roads but there is alot of traffic.I also think the southern route is best :belt to cross Island then LIE and follow directions to glen cove rd.So that said the best place for all of us to meet up is the first parking lot on the belt.Just after you get on the belt off the Verranzano bridge there are these public parking areas,not big but easy access and room enough.So it looks like about 9:00 am at the first parking area on the belt,after the merge with the veranzano bridge exit.That should be clear enough.

Good Point Peter. With the congestion we are going to hopefully not hit it will be very helpful to be in radio contact.

John, sounds like a good plan. See you around 9:00.
Can you PM your cell phone number just in case something doesn't go as planned?

Bailey......How bad (condition wise) are the roads we are going to be traveling on? I wanna know how bad I will be bumped around, I just installed my suspension goodies, and should have my new superleggeras on. :) John....you were right, this shock & spring setup is incredible!!!

And guys are we really gonna hit that much traffic at 9:00am on a Saturday? (only been through SI once)

I sent the Don my cell.The Belt is typical bumpy not horendous,once on the Island the roads get better.See you all on the belt at 9:00 am.

I'm back from my trial in Canton, NY and am all set to meet you guys out on the Island. Let's hope the weather predictions hold out.

Bob

jadkar said:
Bailey......How bad (condition wise) are the roads we are going to be traveling on? I wanna know how bad I will be bumped around, I just installed my suspension goodies, and should have my new superleggeras on. :) John....you were right, this shock & spring setup is incredible!!!

And guys are we really gonna hit that much traffic at 9:00am on a Saturday? (only been through SI once)

the roads you will be traveling on are not that bad .. i havent traveled the belt parkway that much but since you are goin to be in a group you most likey wont be traveling that fast... there are a few spots on the cross island that are bad...when you approach the long island expressway i would take it easy.... i wanted to lay out a route for you that would be easy and the roads pretty decent...its much better the then gowanus bqe combo by far.

Last edited:
? Are we leaving at the right time ?

I hate being late, but also don't want to get there too early. I'm banking on lots of traffic to slow us down.

We welcome any thoughts.

Thanks for the directions Bailey!

Last edited:
Recieved a email sayin to be there promptly at 10-10:30 am ......those coming from jersey and pa are making two stops i belive and you know how that goes..... you always loose a little time at each stop. If your not hitting the verrazano bridge by 9am i think you maybe running close to the meet time. In the case your running late dont try to make it up by speeding because the Belt Parkway and Staten Island Expressway are always patrolled by highway cops.

True that......8:30 AM it is :D

8:30 it shall be. I will let Tony & Larry know the exact meeting place. Is it just the four of use + DocJohn?

I plan on seeing you at 9:00 at the first belt rest stop after you all get on the belt from bridge.Any changes leave message on my cell , Don has #.Safe travelling

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if you are going to read this in time, but unfortunately I am not going to be able to attend the BBQ. We had a medical emergency tonight. I just got home now, and it would be best if I stay local this weekend. I hope you guys get this and your not waiting around for me. Have fun :(

John

Back