Life with an NSX & High Mileage

Hi all,

I have been "lurking" and reading everything I can get my hands on with regards to an NSX. Thus far, I like the board very much, and there's an interesting and well-educated cross section of owners here. Well done! So on with the important stuff....I nearly bought a G35 Coupe, but I knew I'd be happier with an NSX, so I just need some owner's perspective on a few items.

I intend to get a 1994-older NSX, as I want to keep expenses down, but mainly because I am selfish, and like spending money on waaaayyy to many other hobbies. (motorcycle racing, other car, snowmobiling, etc..). I intend to drive the NSX as much as possible, daily in all likelyhood. I have never believed in owning a fine car and saving it for weekends. I love driving. So how exactly is the NSX to live with on a daily basis? Any item, tidbit..anything useful you could tell me is much appreciated. I just want some feedback from those who live, love and drive their NSX every day. For those who have owned/driver an automatic NSX..how does it match up to a stick??

The second topic is higher mileage NSX. I'll likely be getting an NSX with fairly high mileage, as low mileage cars nearly 10 years old aren't terribly numerous, and if one could be found, commands a premium in price. The 2nd reason it makes sense for me to get a higher mileage vehicle is, if I bought a low mileage car, it would have high miles at the end of one years anyways!! I usually drive 20,000+ miles per year, easy, and have racked up 35,000 miles before too. Acura is renowned for their quality and reliability (which is another reason I like the NSX), but obviously, every car wears, even the NSX. What would be trouble spots to look out for with regards to preventaive maintenance? Any owners of higher mileage NSX please chime in.

Again..thanks for the time reading and replying to my message. You've got a nice group of people here and a very nice web-site. I'm really looking forward to being part of the "family". Take care.....~R

RRocket:

I've got a '91 with 125k on it. It still doesn't burn a drop of oil and is very healthy. If you're putting that kind of mileage on it and aren't concerned about resale, it doesn't make sense for you to drop the bigger $ on one with low miles, since it won't be a garage queen for you anyway. Just choose carefully... Like any used car, there are those that have been treated with care and love and respect, and those that haven't.

I drive mine several times a week, and have always enjoyed it. This is one of those cars that feels alive every single time you get in. The fact that it's an "exotic" hasn't taken away from the driveability at all. It's a Honda, after all! It just happens to be a Honda that is hugely fun to drive, forgiving, handles incredibly and outperforms 95% of the rest of the cars on the road.

Choose well and you won't regret it!

Don

Bought mine with 127k on it (awesome second car.) Never regretted it one bit. Because for the price I paid for the car, I would buy another one and sell it for an extra couple thousand of bucks easily.

Before Mr.Wolf chimes in...

RRocket said:
So how exactly is the NSX to live with on a daily basis?
Do a search on these forums on all topics with the word "daily" in the title. There has been plenty of such discussion in the past. (Ignore any topics in the Off-Topic forum, since those discuss non-NSX daily drivers.)

RRocket said:
For those who have owned/driver an automatic NSX..how does it match up to a stick??
Again, do a search on these forums, this time on all topics with the word "auto" in the title. Cliff's Notes version: If you prefer an automatic, get one. If you prefer a stick, get one.

Only thing I'd add is that for a daily driver that you plan to put on a lot of miles per year, you may seriously want to consider either a '91-94 automatic or a '95+ (any) in order to get.... (wait for it!)...power steering. I have a '91 without it and while it's easy to actually drive without it, it is a PITA in tight parking lots. No biggie when it's a second car, but for day-in-day-out, depending on where you'll drive it and park it, it's something to consider.

You will also want to consider the tires in your budget. The NSX tends to go through them much quicker than more mundane transportation. Just my $.02

yeah, it depends on where you live and what kind of area you "racking" up your mileage.

I don't have any complaint about driving my nsx, (91 with 95k miles.) But when I go to work there's a uphill ramp meter, and that annoys me. (yeah I need to stop and go uphill for 5 to 10 mins.) Other than that I have no problem until one time I went to downtown area (Seattle down town area is on slope kind of like the SF area.) Looking for a parking space and parallel park at a 45degree slope with no power steering need some get used to...(=headache and panaroid about clutch wear, Worrying about those New Yorkers bumping my car to keep in/out of their spot. )Did I mention some idoits just honk at you and 'flies' by you CrazyTaxi style??

Driving in the rain is not a problem unless you don't know how to drive stick or you getting too used to the handling on the dry pavement. (like down shift and upsetting the balance after your turn the steering wheel and stuff.)

Tire Wear!! I wonder why nobody mention that yet? If you drive aggressively on any cars, you only seen a little worse wear on the nsx (so it's acceptable.) But if you drive very conservatively on other cars and do so on the nsx... You might be surprised about the tire wear on Highway mileage. (Compare to other cars.)

Here's The other problem for driving a nsx all year around:
(note it might be the reason you Want to drive it all year around)

1. Center of Attention. ( Cops, haters, Women, High School Boys, well you get the idea.)
2. Car sitting too low. You might run into some area that you have to think twice to get thru some ill pavement.
3. It's too low for some Minivan's Suv's side mirror, be warned, they won't see you and you be surprised how many times they want to just drive "over" you.
4. No Cup Holder... and If you have an occupant you might need to jam all your daily stuff.. briefcase, Notes, lap top... all to his/her foot compartment area.
5. Bad Stereo + ugly antenna. (As a daily driver, you may want to listen to radio sometime, right? there that 5 ft. antenna will make sure you have good reception.)
6. Noisy Cabin won't allow you have a very good conversation with clients/customers...
7. It's more expensive to repair in case of accident than other kind of cars. So beware of soccer mom, ignorant door dinger, and the Grannie who drives their 60's cars on side walk. :p

Anyway, if I'm not too anal to keep the nsx clean all the time, I would drive it anytime over any vehicle I have. Regardless all the BullS*** I mentioned above. ;)

NSXDreamer2 said:

1. Center of Attention. ( Cops, haters, Women, High School Boys, well you get the idea.)
2. Car sitting too low. You might run into some area that you have to think twice to get thru some ill pavement.
3. It's too low for some Minivan's Suv's side mirror, be warned, they won't see you and you be surprised how many times they want to just drive "over" you.
4. No Cup Holder... and If you have an occupant you might need to jam all your daily stuff.. briefcase, Notes, lap top... all to his/her foot compartment area.
5. Bad Stereo + ugly antenna. (As a daily driver, you may want to listen to radio sometime, right? there that 5 ft. antenna will make sure you have good reception.)
6. Noisy Cabin won't allow you have a very good conversation with clients/customers...
7. It's more expensive to repair in case of accident than other kind of cars. So beware of soccer mom, ignorant door dinger, and the Grannie who drives their 60's cars on side walk. :p

Anyway, if I'm not too anal to keep the nsx clean all the time, I would drive it anytime over any vehicle I have. Regardless all the BullS*** I mentioned above. ;)

1) I find I don't get much attention anymore after driving it for a year here... and Cops rarely look twice.. that could be because mine is white??
4. Cup Holder is not a big deal, but LACK of storage space inside is. I think they could have done a better job with places to put things. It can get messy quick!
5. I don't think there is anything wrong with the stereo... its not great, but it is good enough for most people. The antenna is high, but you dont see it when you drive it anyway..
6. I do not find the cabin noise bad AT ALL. Unless you are revving 6+ RPM, its not very loud..

I would just add that mine is a daily driver/only car... and i love it. My only issue is leaving it outside at the mall or things like that... i HATE that.

NetViper , did you really drive it thru the Winter?? I thought Toronto snows pretty bad in the winter...

Someone said I seems like yelling when I was in the nsx, and they do know I'm driving the X instead of the other car... :D maybe it's just my crappy cell phone.

regarding the storage space, I spent my first 20 minutes in my car to try to find the rightspot to put my dinky cell phone and finally I'm settle to put it right in the shifter boot... and boy I'm amazed it never fell no matter what I did to the car... (including one emergency stopping from 90 mph and changed lanes then come to full stop. OH well, long story...should post on a separate topic just for that.) It's the nokia phone and it's around 4 inches tall. FYI.

NSXDreamer2 said:

Here's The other problem for driving a nsx all year around:
(note it might be the reason you Want to drive it all year around)

1) I've had an NSX as a daily driver for a while, and it still attracts attention, but mostly just looks...
2) I lowered mine with Bilstein's last weekend and so far it's still ok...
4) I try not to drink in it - but I got the Dali cup holder (just be prepared to wait!)
5) the smartenna and MP3 changer keeps the antenna under control
6) It is quieter than my '89 MR-2 was...
7) parking places can make me nervous

No one has mentioned OEM tires aren't any good below 32F - I switch to all-seasons during winter...

:D nsxtacy, I had the stock one with Smartenna installed...

I guessed I said it sarcastically... cuz I never listen to radio until one day I was at my friends house and my CD skipped and it changed to Radio mode, it does look way too high for nsx.
It makes it looked like a radio controlled car.

NSXDreamer2 said:

It makes it looked like a radio controlled car.

You should have seen my MR-2 - I had a amateur radio antenna installed that was tall enough to scrape parking garages (I had to fold it down) and it doesn't retract.

It always looked like a radio controlled car! :D

jmjrdh1 said:
Oh the shame!!! :rolleyes:

gotta agree with this one...

use them muscles.. or you'll grow some muscles turning them wheels...

mileage is not an issue with an NSX as long as it is well maintained.

You're both missing the point. I personally don't consider it a big deal and if I did, I wouldn't have bought a car without it. However, RRocket has stated he's planning to drive the car every day and IF he does a lot of low-speed barely-moving parking maneuvers, he MAY appreciate the power assist. Come on you guys, this is a $30-50K supercar with pretty well ALL the luxury trimmings and then you go and balk at power-assist steering as if it's some kind of option that only wusses would buy. Name me another exotic supercar that comes without it. If driving without power assist makes it a more macho car, why don't you just take out the brake power assist too.

Back