License Plate Frame in TX

This is absolutely rediculous:

Little known new law could cost drivers $200

I wonder if Shrub was governor when this was signed into law.
laugh.gif

well. . .

don't mess w/ texas... hehe

on a side-note, front-plates are manditory in TX; yet i've only been 'warned' on two occasions in over 4yrs, while in a SUV or a luxo' sedan. the troopers seem chill if you show sincere interest to address the issue. :)

The law is rarely enforced except for extreme situations.

On a similar note, in Texas it is illegal to change lanes as you are driving through a light-controlled intersection. Not enforced all that much.

I always thought that it was illegal in all states to change lanes while in an intersection, and, IIRC, 100 feet on either side, so all the folks that jockey for position right in front of a light are ticketable. That's why, when a bus stops in front of me, I won't try and get over - don't want to get ticketed for two things at once.

As for the front plate, is that a requirement in Texas? The last trooper I asked (mind you, this was 1995) said that "If the car had mounting hardware on the front, you were liable. If it had no hardware, you weren't required to display it." The NSX doesn't seem to have a way to display a front plate...

Originally posted by burbel
The NSX doesn't seem to have a way to display a front plate...
Sure it does. The NSX comes from the factory with a license plate holder. The license plate holder attaches underneath the front bumper (with screws that are inserted upwards). That way, in states which do not require a front license plate, the license plate holder can be removed and the front bumper does not have any drill holes exposed. And, of course, many of us in states which do require a front license plate don't display one, either. Because we are outlaws! :eek: As a result, there are a lot of NSXs in which the license plate holder has been removed. If you are interested in displaying your front plate, it should be pretty easy to find an NSX owner who is willing to give you his, which is probably sitting in a box in the garage or basement.

Here's a diagram that shows the front license plate holder:

13SL00_B46.gif

They enforce it Houston...

I've received two warnings and two tickets in the last year for no front license plate.

One of the tickets really chaps my ass. It was the only citation.

I casually merged onto the interstate a few cars in front of the cop, he immediately pulls me over. He checks my exhaust, rear bumper height from the road and even my tint sticker, every thing is fine. He walks in front of my car and proceeds to write me up for no front license. He had no reason to stop me. What an ass.

Jonathan

QUOTE]I casually merged onto the interstate a few cars in front of the cop, he immediately pulls me over. He checks my exhaust, rear bumper height from the road and even my tint sticker, every thing is fine. He walks in front of my car and proceeds to write me up for no front license. He had no reason to stop me. What an ass.[/QUOTE]

Cops like that deserve to be demoted to Taco Bell security @ 2am.[

I wonder if Shrub was governor when this was signed into law.

Nice try, conjecture-boy. :) The author and sponsor are both Republicans, though. Maybe they came up with this gem while the Dems were in Oklahoma during their first little protest / paid vacation?

SB 439
Author: Jon Lindsay
Austin Office:
The "Honorable" Jon Lindsay
P.O. Box 12068
Capitol Station
Austin, Texas 78711
(512) 463-0107
(512) 463-8810 (Fax)

Houston Office:
15531 Kuykendahl
Houston, Texas 77090
(281) 583-1011
(281) 444-0189(fax)

Sponsor: Peggy Hamric
Capitol Office
Room CAP GW.07
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768
(512) 463-0496
(512) 463-2077 Fax
District Office
7915 FM 1960 West #325
Houston, TX 77070
(281) 890-1200

Last Action: 06/20/2003
Effective on 9/1/03
Relating to an offense involving a motor vehicle with an altered or obscured license plate.

S.B. No. 439
AN ACT
relating to an offense involving a motor vehicle with an altered or obscured license plate. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. The heading to Section 502.409, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED [UNCLEAN] LICENSE PLATE.
SECTION 2. Subsection (a), Section 502.409, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows:
(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:
(1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
(2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;
(3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect;
(4) is fictitious;
(5) has letters, numbers, or other identification marks that because of blurring or reflective matter are not plainly visible at all times during daylight;
(6) has an attached illuminated device or [is a] sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers on the plate or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
(7) has a coating, covering, or protective material that: (A) distorts angular visibility or detectability; or (B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design feature of the plate.
SECTION 3.
(a) The change in law made by this Act applies only to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act. For the purposes of this section, an offense is committed before the effective date of this Act if any element of the offense occurs before that date.
(b) An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is governed by the law in effect when the offense was committed, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2003.

Last edited:
From Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/pending/texasplate.asp

Claim: The state of Texas has passed a law making it illegal to have a frame or bracket around the license plate on your car.

Texas recently enacted new rules prohibiting the obscuring of motor vehicle license plates with stickers or frames: True.

Texas has absolutely prohibited the use of license plate frames or brackets on motor vehicles: False.

Origins:

In May 2003 the Texas state legislature passed SB 439, a bill relating to motor vehicles with altered or obscured license plates. The bill was signed into law by the governor in June 2003 and went into effect on 1 September 2003.

The purpose of the law was to make it illegal for the operators of motor vehicles to obscure the letters and numbers on their license plates by applying reflective material that makes plates hard to read, or by affixing stickers, attaching brackets, or using any other material that covers up a portion of the license numbers on the plates or otherwise obscures clear reading of the plate numbers:

Senate Bill 439 amends Section 502.409(a), Transportation Code, to provide that, in addition to current statutory restrictions, a person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:

-has identification marks that, because of reflective matter, are not plainly visible at all times during daylight;

-has an attached illumination device or emblem not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers on the plate or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or

-alters or obscures the letters, numbers, color, or original design features of the plate.

The intent of these revisions was for Texas to bring their motor vehicle code up to date (as many other states have already done) to prohibit newer means for obscuring the readability of license plates, particularly schemes aimed at preventing the recording of plate numbers by cameras or other automated devices. The new law does not say that drivers may absolutely not place brackets, frames, or stickers (other than registration stickers) on or around their license plates; it says specifically that plates may not be covered by material that alters or interferes with the readability of plate numbers or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered or another original design feature of the plate (i.e., some aspect of the plate, such as the color or logo, which helps identify the issuing state).

Of course, regardless of the intent behind the law, how it's interpreted and enforced is what motorists care about most. If having a license plate frame which covers even a tiny portion of the word 'Texas' is considered a violation (even though the word itself may still be quite readable), then the practical effect of the law is to ban license plate frames, because nearly every frame will overlap some portion of the top and bottom of a license plate. And what about specialty plates — if a motorist has one of the many license plates designed to represent a particular Texas college or university (such as the Prairie View A&M University plate shown to the left), is it a violation to obscure some or all of the school name or logo, items which have nothing to do with the information displayed on standard license plates?

We wish we could provide a definitive answer, but we haven't been able to get one out of Texas officials. The Texas Department of Transportation (DOT) told us that they only issue license plates; they don't interpret motor vehicle laws. The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) provided us with the ambiguous answer that "the new language could affect license plate brackets, borders or frames if they interfere with the 'readability' of the state where the vehicle is registered" and noted that "DPS policy and interpretation are not binding on law enforcement agencies around the state." In other words, it's up to every local police department to interpret the new law as they see fit, and any definitive interpretation will only come once some cases involving this law have been brought before the Texas judicial system.

The license plate frame law is a joke. What a load of poo! :p
I drive around with no front plate, with a "NSX" license plate frame around the rear license, and with both expired reg. and inspec. stickers with no problem! (damn, I need to get that taken care of!) In fact, on the way to work this morning, I was head to head with a cop and nothing! I thought I was going down for sure as I was in the middle lane to turn left and he was facing me 10 feet away! :D

Back