Lexus SC400 Experience?

So my father is giving me his pride and joy, a 94 Lexus SC400, for no apparent reason - not that I'm looking for one. ;) White pearl and tan interior. I know it's well taken care of, has always been garaged, and has undergone regular maintenance. I've driven it a couple of times and have always been fond of it's interior and general engineering. So I was pretty excited when I heard the news. #1 a free car?!! #2 my dad's pride and joy?!! He knows of my love for anything automotive so I think he wants to make sure it goes to someone who'll take care of it. So after researching, I was a little taken back by the lack of aftermarket support. In all honesty, this car makes the NSX look like the Civic in terms of an aftermarket. And in cruel irony, the real "hotrod" version is the SC300 - a car my dad called less than manly at the time. ;) Still, I am really looking forward to driving it around.

In any event, I'm wondering if any of my fellow NSX owners have experience with this car? Thoughts appreciated.

The SCs are grand tourers, too heavy and soft to be considered a real sports car. I prefer the SC300 for its available manual transmission and aftermarket potential.

They have very appealing interiors and still look good on the road. I could see using one as a daily driver/commuter car.

Ponyboy said:
So my father is giving me his pride and joy, a 94 Lexus SC400, for no apparent reason - not that I'm looking for one. ;) White pearl and tan interior. I know it's well taken care of, has always been garaged, and has undergone regular maintenance. I've driven it a couple of times and have always been fond of it's interior and general engineering. So I was pretty excited when I heard the news. #1 a free car?!! #2 my dad's pride and joy?!! He knows of my love for anything automotive so I think he wants to make sure it goes to someone who'll take care of it. So after researching, I was a little taken back by the lack of aftermarket support. In all honesty, this car makes the NSX look like the Civic in terms of an aftermarket. And in cruel irony, the real "hotrod" version is the SC300 - a car my dad called less than manly at the time. ;) Still, I am really looking forward to driving it around.

In any event, I'm wondering if any of my fellow NSX owners have experience with this car? Thoughts appreciated.

I had a 92 SC300 with manual transmission, same colors, with the "gold" package. It was a great car, loved it, the only obvious advice I can give you is that in the snow, the car was a "sled", put 4 Blizzaks on the car, and you can hook up a plow to the front. Other than that, it's bullet proof, enjoy it :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

The SC400 was one of the best coupes I ever owned. I'm jealous, pearl white with tan leather? Nice, I bet it has Nakamichi as well. Awesome car, fun to drive, lots of power and very comfortable.

You are a lucky guy! I was looking for one recently, in the condition you just described they are bring all the $. If you want to sell it, p/m me!

I sold a friend a 92 Silver NSX and then purchased a 93 SC400 black and tan. I found another NSX and sold his wife my SC400.

I love to visit their garage! If you look closely at both the NSX and SC side to side they have some similarities.

Thanks for the experience info, guys. Yeah, I feel very lucky right now. B/c it's a gift, I don't think I'll ever sell it. Particularly b/c it was so near and dear to him. I'm hearing that the power steering pump is something I should look out for as well as a LCD screen blackout.

I'd love to put some nice Volks on this thing!

Power steering and AC are known to be 2 major trouble spots. btw, I wouldn't mod it too much(rims/tires only). IIRC, the LEXUS ECU doesn't even like a K&N air filter- it causes the check engine light to come on and can only be reset by a dealer

Ponyboy said:
Thanks for the experience info, guys. Yeah, I feel very lucky right now. B/c it's a gift, I don't think I'll ever sell it. Particularly b/c it was so near and dear to him. I'm hearing that the power steering pump is something I should look out for as well as a LCD screen blackout.

I'd love to put some nice Volks on this thing!

Correct; do not let it run low on power steering fluid the racks that are very sensative. You DO NOT want to absorb the cost of replacing the rack.

If the car has always been garaged and well maintained you shouldn't have too may worries. They do have LCD problems that can be very expensive to repair. Odds are one or two lights might go out and dim a bit but are very costly to repair, most owners never get them fixed. You might also run into trouble with the 12-disc changer. If the word Error appears on the head unit, there is a reset button on the disc changer.

Congratulations

I have a 93 SC400 in Indigo Blue Pearl with tan interior. Over all it is a nice car that I has always wanted and I'm happy with it. Originally I picked the Legend Coupe over it in 1995 and honestly I think I like my Legend Coupe better over all in many areas if you keep it in stock form. Performance wise I heard the aftermarket Torque Convertor swap for the SC400 automatics make a huge difference for low end off the line acceleration. Otherwise there are a few Supercharger applications you can get, but it will make the NSX Superchargers (Price vs Performance) seem like a bargin. For brakes and suspension most of the Supra TT applications are direct bolt ins. Eventually your lower control arm bushings and even steering rack bushings will go bad and Supra LCAs are direct swaps and are beefier. Anyway, just check out intellexual.net for a lot of SC400/300 FAQs. Aside from performance modifications there are tons of cosmetic body modifications. Lots of rim applications, suspensions, and body kits.

Wow! Exactly what I was looking for. So far, don't see a whole lot of popular Volk fitments.

Ponyboy said:
Wow! Exactly what I was looking for. So far, don't see a whole lot of popular Volk fitments.
Believe it or not the SC can take more aggresive rims applications than the NSX, especially up front. The most common application is a 8.5" front with anything between a +38 - +45 or so, and a 10" rear with anything between a +41 - +45 (Any rim diamter up to 20"). The offsets can vary from that a bit. Some have used 9" fronts and 11" rears with some fender rolling modifications. Some also have gone as low as +20s or lower offsets with larger modifications, but that is rare. The one thing is the front rims generally may need a high disk to clear the front calipers (Not so much with the stock brakes but if you swap in Supra or LS400 brakes. You can also swap in LS400 4 pot front brake calipers as well since they too are 4 piston like the Supra only much cheaper. There are a lot of people on Club Lexus with various Volk rims, so there should be a fitment.

Last edited:
Shawn,
My brother has a 92 SC400 Green/Grey leather with 175K on it. He claims it's one of the best cars he has ever owned and plans on driving it to the ground. I have drivin it and it still feels tight and strong. He has a set of snows for the winter and says the traction in unreal.

Man, you guys are getting me worked up to get an SC! :eek: ;)

It has always been one of my favorite cars.

SC400 have the V8 which is not in the 2jzge family.

Ponyboy, I believed there was a guy in Japan in D1 campaign a SC300 as his dirfting machine, and I remembered even in Japan it's pretty expensive for tuning it. If I were you I'll just slap a body kit, lower it (not with coil over but a comfortable set up) and put some 18 or 19 inches wheels and called it good.

NSXDreamer2 said:
Ponyboy, I believed there was a guy in Japan in D1 campaign a SC300 as his dirfting machine, and I remembered even in Japan it's pretty expensive for tuning it.
Like this one? :D

118_1864.jpg

I have a 92 Black/Tan, but haven't had much time to do anything with it. Much of what has been said I'd agree with, particularly about the torque convertors. I'd keep it simple, really down to just a (very aggressive) wheel setup ;), lower it, and body kit. My personal preference is a Bomex body kit. I was also considering a Borla exhaust for it, but I'd still like to hear the setup before I commit.

My car was also previously owned by my dad, so there's a strong personal attachment to it. I lucked out 'cuz he hardly drove it......31K miles on a 1992!!! Recently, however, the window seems to have come off track, so I need to fix it. Also, memory seats just don't seem to remember anymore. :(

-Randy

For sure I'm not going to mod it out to a race car or track rat (the NSX fills that role nicely). The plan is just to keep it what it is...a great GT car...only more so. I've seen a nice setup with Volk GTC (you know Tan's wheels ;)) wheels so I think I'll start with those and Eibach springs. Maybe intake and exhaust and the Supra brake conversion. Or maybe just the exhaust and the torque converter and the Supra brake conversion. Decisions, decisions, decisions. And I haven't even taken possesion of it yet! :D

Here's the wheel prospects:
4668HPIM0338.JPG

Brand/model?

14738Picture_235-med.jpg

Look like Volk GTC's

21256gt-c_04-med.jpg

GTC's on white

228971234.jpg

Volk GT7's

I owned both a sc400 and sc300. Still got the sc300. Loved them both. I have JDM GAB adjustable suspension, eibach lowering springs, and a 18x8 and 18x9.5 wheel combo. That car handles awesome! Definately a great car to keep around. I do love the V8 power the sc400 brings, but the sc300 has much much more aftermarket options. Alot of the Supra TT parts will fit. Volk GT-C's look amazing on that car!

Its true about the things to worry about that car, LED's power steering, speedometer needles go out,& lower control arm bushings. Don't let these things deter you though. I love this car only second to my NSX. great combo of luxury and performance.

I owned a black and tan '92 SC400 for 50,000 miles. I beat on it and beat on it, and it cost me and cost me. 2500 mile oil changes were no match for my driving as it went from no oil consumption to lots. It seemed like I broke everything (steering, power window, power door lock, inside door handle, power tilt and telescopic steering, AC, windshield, coolant reservoir, power seat). I was like John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Chair goes up, chair goes down, chair goes up, chair goes down, then it's broken. Then one day, I saw this beautiful '92 NSX and traded the SC400 on the spot. A month and a half later, the new owner totalled my beloved SC. I still dream of buying another except a '97 silver and black.

FWIW, the SC400 ain't made for jumpin'.

FuryNSX said:
I'm a fan of 5-spoke wheels myself, but those GT-7s on the black one look mighty fine!!

I agree on the wheels. 7s look nice.
Congratulations on the car, Shawn. Sounds like you are going to have some fun with it.

Back