LED Projector Retrofit

Has anyone completed an LED Projector retrofit? Perhaps with some brackets like these:

Also, are there any other differences other than the projectors between RHD and LHD pop up headlights? I'm considering picking up a set of RHD headlights to perform a retrofit for LHD use but not sure if it will work on my USDM.

I've done this with HID projectors and I 100% recommend it. Proper projectors blow away the drop in LEDs you see everywhere. Organized Garage Status makes a nice kit along with custom clear lenses that make the headlights look and work way better.

At this point, HID still reigns king in the world of headlight retrofits, the LED projectors just aren't there yet.

I posted about it here a few years ago.

These seem like pretty good LED projectors, but not sure if they'll actually fit.

Those won’t fit, they use a “G5” bolt pattern which is used on larger projectors like the Mini D2S, MLED, etc.

You need something the size of a Morimoto Mini H1 or Micro D2S projector to fit in NSX housings and to my knowledge there aren’t any LED projectors that fit yet.

If you have access to a good 3D printer you might be able to make your own housings that would fit them out of ABS but that would be a ton of work for very little benefit.

At this point, HID still reigns king in the world of headlight retrofits, the LED projectors just aren't there yet.
There seems to be significant variability in the quality of both drop-in LED's and probably the HID upgrades as well, with some just upgrading the light source in the OEM housings to HID and some fitting new projectors as well.

I've had both, upgrading one with Boslla drop-in LED's and one with a HID upgrade. I would say the difference in light output and scatter is modest; both are a huge upgrade from OEM and more than acceptable. A big difference however is that the HID's take a second or 2 to come on, making them useless for flashing to get someone's attention, which is why I'll be upgrading at least my high beams to LED. They can also be a bit frustrating when you suddenly want high beams at night. I have had to get used to always "priming" my high beams by turning them on for a couple of seconds when I start driving to warm them up, so that they come on faster when I need them later.

Last edited:
Oh I'm talking about replacing the old projectors with modern bi-xenon units, not just dropping in HIDs or LEDs. Bi-xenon projectors have a shield that moves out of the way when you turn on the high beams so the bulb isn't being turned on or off. The output of a modern projector is incomparable to putting LEDs/HIDs in a 30 year old housing.

Back