Leaving a job

Lately I've been having problems with my boss.
It seems the smallest detail is now magnified into a huge mistake whenever I deal with them.

I don't believe I've done anything severe enough to lose complete trust in me, but it doesn't help when I hear from others that the dept secretary is spying on me and misconstruing facts.

Anyway aside from that and the constant backstabbing in my office, I get the feeling I'll likely be fired sometime in the near future.

If it comes to a point where it is likely I'll get fired, should I accept that, or resign in advance by giving my two weeks notice before being even called into HR? - I figure saying I resigned from a job is much better than saying I was fired on my resume.

I really don't want to fight this by going down the legal route claiming unequal treatment or snitching on other employees to make my shortcomings much less severe or significant than that of others.

Thoughts? Advice?
Job offers? :D
Any input is greatly appreciated.

I know how you feel exactly!!!! I called it quit last week after a feeling of "oh lord, I have to work go in to the office today". My job is my life, if I can't wake up every morning contemplating whether I should go into work. When this happens, it is time to called it quit. What am I doing now? Good question....I had saved a few bucks to keep me alive for alittle while. In the meantime, I am reevaluating my life if I want to work for another company..................or go solo for the opportunity to call the shot.

My suggestion to you is.....you only live once. If you can't go to work happily, you are wasting your life. You are more productive doing what you love. As such, do what is best for you and your heart!!!

beeker16 said:
It seems the smallest detail is now magnified into a huge mistake whenever I deal with them.

I don't believe I've done anything severe enough to lose complete trust in me, but it doesn't help when I hear from others that the dept secretary is spying on me and misconstruing facts.

Anyway aside from that and the constant backstabbing in my office, I get the feeling I'll likely be fired sometime in the near future.

If it comes to a point where it is likely I'll get fired, should I accept that, or resign in advance by giving my two weeks notice before being even called into HR? - I figure saying I resigned from a job is much better than saying I was fired on my resume.

I really don't want to fight this by going down the legal route claiming unequal treatment or snitching on other employees to make my shortcomings much less severe or significant than that of others.

Thoughts? Advice?

PoohBear, I think he's decided that he doesn't want to stay at the job, and is looking for ideas on exactly HOW to make the exit. Please correct me if I'm wrong. beeker16, just curious, what field of work are you in?

-Awais

I had a problem with liking my job and so I browsed the internet looking for the reason. I found all that gibberish about people being a lot more productive if they do like their job. But, I also found that by statistics, the people that tend to work hard on their current job and make the most of it end up loving their job and really getting into it.
So, the point is, you will probably never find a job you like if you don’t work hard.

I tried this at my currant job. And I have to say that I am starting to like it. Although, I work 250 miles away from my home town and my pay is very lousy by my industry's standards and it's not going to get much better. But, oh well, I guess I'll work as hard as I can and continue to improve my abilities and hope for the best.

If you feel your job is in jeopardy, you ought to get your resume together and start looking for another job ASAP before your current employment ends - voluntarily or otherwise. I've always been of the opinion that it's easier to find a job while you're still employed (less desperation factor).

As for quitting vs. being let go, do you think they'll have legitimate grounds for terminating you? (Ick, that brings pictures of Ah-nold to mind.) If not, document EVERYTHING so you can take it up later if need be. Maybe they'll be forced to lay you off without cause instead, at which point you'd be entitled to unemployment. Don't forsake that benefit by quitting if you can help it, especially if jobs in your field are hard to come by.

If you think they've got enough proof to terminate you with cause, it makes little difference if you quit or get fired since you're hardly likely to get a glowing recommendation from them anyway. And I've never heard of anyone putting the method of their departure on their resume (on an application maybe, but with so many people losing jobs these days due to no fault of their own, it should hardly raise an eyebrow). I say stretch out the employment (more importantly, your paycheck) for as long as you can, but do your best to try to find something else in the meanwhile.

Best of luck!

I know how you feel, I've been there, and I think we've all been there. What I would suggest (and what I did) was to send out resumes ASAP while you are still employed. It is easier to get a job when you are already working.

As to whether to quit first, I would suggest staying til you get fired. First off, you get unemployment benefits, which you will NOT get if you quit. Secondly, I wouldn't be that concerned about how it would look if you got fired. If any one calls and checks with your old employer, they are very unlikely that they will say anything negative about you because if they do, they are potentially facing a defamation lawsuit. That's my $0.02.

Ugh! What a sticky situation. I don't envy what you're going through my friend.

I contemplated leaving my job as well. The work itself is just okay. But it's the people that made me decide to stay. Having great co-workers makes a difference in the world, IMO.

Good luck.

nobody has mentioned unemployment insurance. if you plan on collecting unemployment, you'd be much better off if you're "layed off" instead of quitting. typically it's pretty rare for someone to be "fired" from corporate america these days unless you're blatently ripping the place off.

beeker16 said:

Thoughts? Advice?

Be direct. Talk to your boss. Tell him your concerns. If you are thinking of leaving what do you have to lose by bringing everything out into the light. One way or another it will all get settled, this way it gets settled faster and directly. Sounds to me as if your boss already has you beat down a bit if you are concerned about your shortcomings that may not really even be an issue.
When I read these posts I am so glad I don't have a job. Is anything that can be bought with money worth the anguish of making money in this type of environment. IMO HELL NO! I would live in the streets and eat Spam before I allowed someone to mistreat me.

PHOEN$X said:
If you feel your job is in jeopardy, you ought to get your resume together and start looking for another job ASAP before your current employment ends - voluntarily or otherwise. I've always been of the opinion that it's easier to find a job while you're still employed (less desperation factor).

Very good advice.

I don't exactly do back flips when I go to work on Monday mornings, but I don't hate it either. If your situation has become this bad, you need to be looking elsewhere for your own sanity if not to cover your backside.

I would continue to do my job to the best of my abilities and would not resign until I had a bird in the hand.

Job Concern

Most companies can't say that you were fired. All I'm alowed to say is that so and so worked here from date to date. I think the input to confront your boss is right on, maybe someone told him a lie about you or your work ethic and that is why he's on your back...Lyle

O-Ace said:
PoohBear, I think he's decided that he doesn't want to stay at the job, and is looking for ideas on exactly HOW to make the exit. Please correct me if I'm wrong. beeker16, just curious, what field of work are you in?

-Awais

Somewhat. It's not so much the company as it is my dept, certain coworkers and the position that I don't care for.
I work in the corporate office for the finance dept of an automotive company. I deal with vehicle tax bills.

PHOEN$X said:

As for quitting vs. being let go, do you think they'll have legitimate grounds for terminating you? (Ick, that brings pictures of Ah-nold to mind.) If not, document EVERYTHING so you can take it up later if need be. Maybe they'll be forced to lay you off without cause instead, at which point you'd be entitled to unemployment. Don't forsake that benefit by quitting if you can help it, especially if jobs in your field are hard to come by.

If you think they've got enough proof to terminate you with cause, it makes little difference if you quit or get fired since you're hardly likely to get a glowing recommendation from them anyway. And I've never heard of anyone putting the method of their departure on their resume (on an application maybe, but with so many people losing jobs these days due to no fault of their own, it should hardly raise an eyebrow). I say stretch out the employment (more importantly, your paycheck) for as long as you can, but do your best to try to find something else in the meanwhile.

Best of luck!

Thanks!
I had a talk with my boss today and a valid point was brought up that I agree can be grounds for termination. Had anything else that had occured in the past been brought up I would have been able to defend myself, but this particular point is something I cannot defend and am guilty of. Just my luck.
I made ammends or at least tried to with my boss and have agreed to put in more effort as we're basically starting off with a clean slate now. I'll continue to do my best, but by no means am I satisfied with the situation and I'll continue to try and learn as much as I can here and gain experience, which I believe can only help me later on down the line.
I was under the impression from a coworker that unemployment can be obtained even if you're fired, based on his claim. As for the resume, every job I've had or applied for always wanted to know my reason for leaving the past employer.

Joel said:
Ugh! What a sticky situation. I don't envy what you're going through my friend.

I contemplated leaving my job as well. The work itself is just okay. But it's the people that made me decide to stay. Having great co-workers makes a difference in the world, IMO.

Good luck.

100% dead on!
I really do enjoy my coworkers, as we share frustrations as well, but have become great friends over time as well. I realize though that sometimes sacrifices have to be made...

--

As for talking to my boss, let it be known that she does have spies in our dept as well as other depts that monitor us. We get the occassional "it's been brought to my attention..." thrown at us. I've learned not to trust ANYONE other than a select group of three individuals.
I've tried bringing up casually that things are not as they appear, but its evident that the boss will favor the words of her friend and secretary who goes out of her way to frustrate me by messing up my desk or scattering my mail around than the word of a young employee who has not been there even a year yet and has nothing to hide. Confronting the b**** secretary seems to only please her and she finds new ways of annoying me and others.

I'll stay in the meantime but won't ignore other job offers while I continue to keep my eyes open. I was told the more effort shown, the more privleges I would be granted. I'll do my best as I do want access to other duties and applications in order to better understand them, so that when the time comes, if I get asked from a prospective employer "are you familiar with ....." I can hopefully say yes.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
Very much appreciated!

beeker16 said:
I was under the impression from a coworker that unemployment can be obtained even if you're fired, based on his claim.

I would be highly suspicious of his claim then, as the eligibility rules for Texas clearly state that "you must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of your own as defined under Texas law." Maybe getting fired in Texas isn't considered the employee's fault? :confused:
As for the resume, every job I've had or applied for always wanted to know my reason for leaving the past employer.
Couldn't you say that the job wasn't a right fit for you, or that you wanted to pursue other opportunities? I don't think prospective employers can legally find out the manner of your departure, even if they were to call up your former employer.

Anyway, sorry to hear of the situation and hope everything works out for the best.

PHOEN$X said:

I would be highly suspicious of his claim then, as the eligibility rules for Texas clearly state that "you must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of your own as defined under Texas law." Maybe getting fired in Texas isn't considered the employee's fault? :confused:
If they are going to fire him, the employer can make-up reasons that they can justify. So he will not get umemployment benefits! However, if they are "ethical", than they should lay him off, give him severance, and allow him to collect unemployment. It sounds like they are trying to dig up dirt to use against him to put him on probation and then fire him shortly thereafter.

IMO - If you have the financial resources quit and be done with them. You should be safe doing this since the company cannot say anything derogitory to anybody that calls for employment history. Otherwise, they are breaking the law - not that stops anybody. Use your best judgement since it's your career and your finances at stake.

When i was very young i was in a situation with some similarities.

I lined up a different job and got out. HOWEVER, I did that because I didnt want the best positions in the company---just didnt like that industry and no amount of promotions was gonna change that.

If you want to stay in this business, you might want to make the efforts to work it out where you are at.

Then again, my training manager was fired six months later for stealing from the safe, and the two girls who were 'sacred cows' both quit within a year of my leaving.

Back