Learned Advice needed!

A big ELLo to the great NSX forumers on board.. its an honour to be amongst a great community of enthusiasts with REal good taste... an NSX owner is beyong compare... :wink: (i know i may be biased in saying that.. but its true ain't it..)

well, ive been a keen follower of the postings on the forum and i've come to a quandary which needs valuable advice from all you maestros out here.. well here goes..

Firstly, a little somthin about how bleak the NSX scene is over here, & why i have very little options available

i'm from the east, Singapore to be exact... and over here.. its a horrific reality that the NSX is an almost extinct species... because of very pro-active (but very retardedly-regressive car-population control policies from a car enthusiasts' point of view), the NSX finds itself in a sort of no-man's-land situation.

The car is expensive generally, and the first batch of 91's that were imported then cost almost S$300,000+. For that price, it is obvious that many people would rather buy a porsche or a used ferrari. (the USD to SGD exchange rate then was roughly 1.6)

Cars over here are generally given a life span of 10 years, after which a percentage of the car's initial import cost would be able to be redeemed as 'scrap'. If u intend to keep the car, you would then have to pay the on going premium or taxes. But the opprtunity cost here would be forgoing the 'scrap' rebate, and in addition to that, cars here have an annual road tax to pay, and cars past 10 yrs have a yearly increment of 10% to add on to; up to a maximun of 50%.

In short, a 2000 c.c. car pays about S$1700 a year. A 3000 c.c. car pays around S$2000 a year. So add in the 10% for an 'old' car and... you get the idea.

And its no different when it comes to bringing in a new NSX. When the Type-R was released here in 2003, it would have cost close to half a mill S$ to bring in!..(a cayman here costs S$260,000; a 360 modena S$700,000, a lambo S$1.1 mill. Thus obviously, those with the cash in the end bought their german and italian machines. In any case, how many people REALLY love the NSX for its REAL iconic characteristics?..

WELL, sori for ramblin, but to cut this mother-goose story short.. my quandary lies here..

I am getting my NSX soon. But there are only two miserable choices open to me.. a 91 auto.. or a 98 F-matic. No others around. Period. Miserable but true. And for cars of their age; they are still lookin at SGD 180,000 at least.
(here's a pic of the F-matic)
117965315598nsxtargaauto_2.jpg
117965315598nsxtargaauto_3.jpg
117965315598nsxtargaauto_1.jpg

WELL my plan is to eventually bring in an '05 3.2 manual powerplant and do a conversion. and so the question is.. which car would make better sense to do this on?..

- I gather the 91 auto would be an easier platform but i'm thinkin about headaches from age-related issues..(specially wiring, electronics..)

- I'm not sure (been trying to read up) but the F-matic seems too complicated in the first place... i'd really hate to start on it and have it rot at the workshop from too many 'hi-tech' issues..

I've tried searching but obviously can't get many results cos cars here are RHD..

I would be very grateful if any of u technical wizards could enlighten me a little on the more intricate aspects of such a job as this would obviously be the first of its kind manual-tranny conversion to be done here.. and i wanna make sure the workshop people don't end up transforming the car into a relic fit for the scrapyard musuem..

any links would also be helpful..

And i hope to be an official(car-owner) member of this great forum soon too...

once again many thanks!
:cool:

Is that '98 (still) at Autobahn? I know the guy who used to own it, but he sold it back in April or May of last year (got a 360 Modena to take its place).

The conversion from auto to manual has been done before (See here).

You could also try dropping Larry Bastanza a line regarding this and the 3.2L swap.

steveny, my understanding is that the car has a vinyl top. It also used to be black.

CDX_NSX Is that '98 (still) at Autobahn? I know the guy who used to own it, but he sold it back in April or May of last year (got a 360 Modena to take its place).

The conversion from auto to manual has been done before (See here).

You could also try dropping Larry Bastanza a line regarding this and the 3.2L swap.

steveny, my understanding is that the car has a vinyl top. It also used to be black.

Thanks for the heads up!are u from sg too?..
The car you would be referring to was a red 91' auto. She's been in and out of autobahn a few times now... i hope to track her down too.. Jeremy did take very good care of her then..
and yes, he ditched the poor girl for a 360... i met him one track day and he kept saying that his NSX was his japanese princess... while his 360 by comparison was an Italian slut..
guess he really still has a soft spot for the NSX... but sadly economics pushed him to the 'other side'..

steveny thats a targa top car with a black roof?

the car in the pic is a 98' targa F-matic... she's a looker.. with the black top, interestingly...but i cant really say i like the f-matic... the performance specs are rather measely.. not to mention the possible difficulties convertind it to a manual

nsx-tech if you need an 05 parts car www.sgi.sk.ca has one up for bids now till feb 20.

cheers!

thanks fellas!:wink:

Last edited:
Yup. Originally from S'pore. Actually, the car I was referring to is that Silver '98. Not too familliar with the red one, but I might have seen it listed at Autobahn a few years ago. Interesting that the the owner of the red NSX also moved on to 360.

If you see a white NSX driving around town, it belonged to a buddy of mine. He passed away last year and it's now driven by his brother.

Yup. Originally from S'pore. Actually, the car I was referring to is that Silver '98. Not too familliar with the red one, but I might have seen it listed at Autobahn a few years ago. Interesting that the the owner of the red NSX also moved on to 360.

If you see a white NSX driving around town, it belonged to a buddy of mine. He passed away last year and it's now driven by his brother.

oh dear... the white Trebon one?.. that's a beautiful car...very immaculate was for sale last year but i missed it... its been sold since...

the silver 98 was originally yellow... then black.. then silver... i remember it cost about 400g's to bring in back then... if the conversion isn't going to be a headache with this one.. i'll try to knock the price down for a better bargain..

and again, cheers to an SG bro...

:cool:

Not sure what Trebon is :D, but it's this one. It's a '96 and I love that white.

He bought it back in '06. Only had 18,000 km on the clock.

nsx26.jpg

Sorry to have taken this thread off-topic. :P

Not sure what Trebon is :D, but it's this one. It's a '96 and I love that white.

He bought it back in '06. Only had 18,000 km on the clock.

nsx26.jpg

Sorry to have taken this thread off-topic. :P

ahh yes... that's the one... what a beauty... she has a 'Trebon' decal across the side... Trebon is an original brand of M/s Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals, Inc. of Japan. The owner was the MD of the singapore branch and since the very early 90's was envied for bringing in the only evoIII then, and then this fine beauty... and recently after selling this car got a 34-Vspec... well...

if u have more pics of her... would be thrilled to see them...

...off topic... but nevertheless a nice detour...:tongue:

Hey Blitzer.....I love Singapore and get to travel there 3 times a year. They sure do make owning a car in Sing really difficult. My buddy just bought a Lexus GS250 and I couldnt believe what he payed.

Good luck to you. I have seen some nice cars in Sing but never an NSX. I will be back in town at the end of the month and will be keeping my eye out for any NSXs.

Hey Blitzer.....I love Singapore and get to travel there 3 times a year. They sure do make owning a car in Sing really difficult. My buddy just bought a Lexus GS250 and I couldnt believe what he payed.

Good luck to you. I have seen some nice cars in Sing but never an NSX. I will be back in town at the end of the month and will be keeping my eye out for any NSXs.

thanks bud... SG is a good place to MAKE $$ and live a relatively safe life... but it really has nothin else to offer... (i guess i may be unfair in saying that).. especially from a car enthusiast's p.o.v....

the amount of $$ yr friend paid for his GS could get something amazing back in the US ya?.. my bro who lives in newark always has a blast tellin me that my e36-M over here is equivalent to a modded 46-M in the states.. $%!@%$!@$

& yr right.. seein an NSX is like hitting the national lottery... too rare that seein one on the road will make all the mase-rattys, ferraris and lambos look so a-dime-a-dozen... :tongue: ...

well ... irregardless of rationality.. i will get that danged NSX soon... i'm still decidin on whether to import an 05 into SG (the last window of opprtunity as imports can't be > 3 yrs old).. & am also actively searching japan.. hope to find a sensible one soon... otherwise its the back-yard conversion plan eventually..

cheers!

ahh yes... that's the one... what a beauty... she has a 'Trebon' decal across the side... Trebon is an original brand of M/s Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals, Inc. of Japan. The owner was the MD of the singapore branch and since the very early 90's was envied for bringing in the only evoIII then, and then this fine beauty... and recently after selling this car got a 34-Vspec... well...

if u have more pics of her... would be thrilled to see them...

...off topic... but nevertheless a nice detour...:tongue:
Yes! That's it! I didn't know about Trebon, but I do remember the previous owner running the Singapore branch of a Japanese company; just couldn't remember the name of the company. :D

I do have more pictures. I'll sort through them and maybe post a few up in a new thread just so that this one doesn't get completely hijacked. :D

Back