Learn how to drive a MR

Hi all,

i am considering to pick up a MR2 (older ones) to practice on how to drive a Mid-engine Rear wheel drive.. will be cheaper than fixing a NSX..

i wonder if picking up a MR2 is a good idea.. any thought?

should i pick up oldest one.. NA or SC
or should i pick up 91-95 NA or Turbo..

Any suggestion?

-jjc.

ya the mk1 will be easier to toss around and more forgiving. However, a MK2 behaves a lot like a NSX..sometimes forgiving, sometimes tossable..but they have their limits.. I've spun around both a few times..of course there were no curbs or walls around me! lol. I defintely would practice on the MK1, then step up to a MK2 and then the NSX.. if u jump from a MK1 to a NSX, you will be in for alot of surprises.. But if u jump from a MK2 MR2 to a NSX, the NSX wont be as surprising!:D

IMHO, to learn to drive a mid engine car is not to buy another mid engine car to trash on the street. There is only so much you can learn on the street.

To learn properly and to truly be good, you will need to take driving school on a race track (circuit).

Save the money you will use to buy the MR2, and just use it to go to the circuit.

A lot of people are scared to get into an accident at the track. It is all depends on the driver. If you are there with a good learning attitude, and not out to prove anything, you should be ok.

Email me if you trully interested. I can make several recommendation.

Andrie Hartanto said:
To learn properly and to truly be good, you will need to take driving school on a race track (circuit).

Agree.

I went from a MKI MR2 s/c, to a MKII MR2 Turbo, to a 3.2L NSX-T, and it was a great learning experience all around. But it's no substitute for the track.

Hi all,

thank you for replies.

well, i took my supra to tracks before.. but, driving a supra tt is very different compares to MR cars.

Supra is extremely forgiven... two different animals. now i want to learn how to drive MR well..

i am planning to take my NSX to track.. but, i want to get a cheap MR2 to play with.. and take it to track, i am looking at MR2 MK1.... so it wont cost me much if i crash it..

Hey Andrie, please let me know if you guys are going to track.. i like to sit in or join..

thanks

-jjc.

Back