Leaky trunk lid... Any ideas?

My first answer is "don't wash it". I spent a bunch having the seal replaced but it didn't help. I suspect it may be coming in via the tail lights or some other source. Good luck, but be aware that a new seal/gasket could and should work but may not fix it 100%

Let us know what cures it.

Although it seems logical, on the NSX the wet trunk problem usually is not caused by the black rubber trunk seal, but usually is caused by the taillight gaskets (between the taillights and the body of the car) needing replacement. Water leaks in between the taillights and the car body when it rains or the car is washed. The water seeps in quickly but evaporates out slowly. I had these replaced on my car recently, and the trunk stays dry now.

Moisture inside the taillights themselves is a completely different problem (also discussed in the thread below).

Wet trunk/moisture in taillights

Last edited:
On the NSX the wet trunk problem usually is not caused by the black rubber trunk seal, but usually is caused by the taillight gaskets (between the taillights and the body of the car) needing replacement.

+1

Moisture in the trunk can also come from storing damp towels used to dry your car.

Back