later NSX owners - Is the Steering Heavy??

I'm on the verge of buying an '02+, and have a question for you guys: is the power steering on this car extremely heavy in turns?? I drove my first 2002 yesterday, and was surprised to discover that the car didn't seem eager to go into a tight corner at speed. It felt as if the power steering shut down, and the steering wheel became very heavy and required a lot of effort to keep the car in the turn. Is this normal? I can't imagine that Honda engineers would design an everyday supercar that requires this kind of effort in turns. At low speed, parking lots etc. the power steering worked fine and steering effort was minimal. It was just at 40mph-ish turns that the steering felt like a real struggle.

Not at all what I expected. Is this normal, and something you get used to? It reminds me of an older Ferrari, like a 348....

The power steering assist only works at speeds BELOW 20 mph, you actually have better control of the car with manual steering.

My 05's steering doesn't feel heavy at all. In fact, I would say it's very responsive and easy to flick the steering through turns. Maybe the car you test drove had lower than normal tire pressure. This will make the steering feel heavier.

Danny said:
The power steering assist only works at speeds BELOW 20 mph, you actually have better control of the car with manual steering.

I think it is 35MPH actually, but you might be right. Nonetheless, the power steer is fantastic and I 100% disagree that you have better control without it. Most who knock it have never tried it. I would not go back.

Danny said:

I didn't know that. So the power steering assist shuts off at 20 mph on 1995+ cars?

AndyNSX said:
I didn't know that. So the power steering assist shuts off at 20 mph on 1995+ cars?

I didn't know this either. I have to say, it does feel rather heavy at low speeds... but I find it utterly precise with beautiful feedback. One of my favorite things about the X.

NetViper said:
I think it is 35MPH actually, but you might be right. Nonetheless, the power steer is fantastic and I 100% disagree that you have better control without it. Most who knock it have never tried it. I would not go back.

Let me clarify......in 1995 the NSX Manual shift cars became equipped with a feature called Power Steering Assist. It is not like normal power steering on other cars that are "active" all the time. If you have ever driven a manual pre-95 NSX they are PURE manual steering (no play at all in the steering) and harder to turn the wheel when the car is going a slow speed. In 95 when Acura added the power assist feature to the manual shift NSXs, it was to make it easier to steer at low speeds (my mechanic - a Master Tech - told me it's under 20mph) that it is engaged. Once you are over 20mph the power assist shuts off and it becomes manual steering giving you greater control of the car - a very tight feeling - no play in the wheel. Most folks don't realize the power steering is off at higher speeds because it's not incredibly difficult to steer a car once it's moving, however the steering itself is incredibly responsive....turn the wheel a fraction of an inch and the car goes in that direction....try doing that in any other car that has power steering and you will have "some" play in the wheel. I'm no "techy", this is how it was explained to me, so hope this helps.

Danny,

Your correct. Having sold my S2000 a couple months ago and now having been in my NA1, I just got into another S2000 last week which has power steering on all the time. It felt like a kids car, litterally. So did our 04 Civic. I was so used to no powersteering that I almost forgot what it felt like to have it. I know most of the high end $100,000+ sports cars do not have power steering. I am so used to it now. I remember the old 88-91 Civic and CRX SIs that came with no power steering. You get used to it.:smile:

Danny said:
Let me clarify......in 1995 the NSX Manual shift cars became equipped with a feature called Power Steering Assist. It is not like normal power steering on other cars that are "active" all the time. If you have ever driven a manual pre-95 NSX they are PURE manual steering (no play at all in the steering) and harder to turn the wheel when the car is going a slow speed. In 95 when Acura added the power assist feature to the manual shift NSXs, it was to make it easier to steer at low speeds (my mechanic - a Master Tech - told me it's under 20mph) that it is engaged. Once you are over 20mph the power assist shuts off and it becomes manual steering giving you greater control of the car - a very tight feeling - no play in the wheel. Most folks don't realize the power steering is off at higher speeds because it's not incredibly difficult to steer a car once it's moving, however the steering itself is incredibly responsive....turn the wheel a fraction of an inch and the car goes in that direction....try doing that in any other car that has power steering and you will have "some" play in the wheel. I'm no "techy", this is how it was explained to me, so hope this helps.

Danny said:

Danny,

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I actually really enjoy the "heavy" steering feeling on my car, I'm glad they did this.

Heavy, yes....but not as heavy as you described it.

I love the heavy feel, it translates into great feedback and makes you feel like you are really "driving" the car.

That's funny you mentioned this. I've been through a lot of 300ZX's and I noticed that the steering was much heavier on the early models...the later ones felt very assisted. I prefer the heavy feeling.

Back