Land Rover Discovery for a winter vehicle???

any opinions good or bad? Does anyone here have one. I noticed that 97-99's are pretty reasonable. thanks for any help,
Aaron

We had one for awhile. Did not like it, I think there is a reason they are cheap. If you're above 6.0", forget about being comfortable in the front or back. Gas mileage was horrible. Did not have any mechanical problems other than the headlights malfuctioning, however, friends with the same truck had lots of reliability problems. In the same price range, I'd consider a Toyota 4Runner. I'm very happy with my 97 Limited now.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]
http://www.ScienceofSpeed.com

depends on what you want. i actually drove a 97 disco for work for 21/2 years up to 51k miles.

no problems at all. the thing is a tank and IS a real off-roading vehicle. i forded some creeks and did some minor off-roading(never got water in the cabin--but would have if id drove slower across the creek bed)

only problem i had was the shift lingage from low to high apparently lost its nut and became undone and i was stuck in low.

highs---
real off-roader
like the looks
dual sunroof is very cool
NOW it is a great value

lows---
not much leg room in back seats
drives like a tank
the stereo was absolutely worse than anything ive every owned-including '78 delco stereos. keep in mind the newer models now have the harmon kardon systems like in my range rover.

for the price you bet id buy one for winter driving. even as a daily driver i really liked the up high seating position.

in my opinion, good value for the money. and you gotta see the camel trophy videos of the disco fording 6ft deep rivers. one of the ONLY non-posers in the suv off-road performance world.

last anecdote; i took a dirt road after rain and saw a little pool of water in the way (about 30ft long by 25ft wide). There was no reason to think the pool was deep as it was in the middle of the dirt road, no swamp land) the disco hit it at 20mph and sunk up past its axles and water was up past the door bottom. i got out of this quagmire after rocking three times. made a believer out of me.

the disco is underrated in my opinion. definately Much more than a soccer mom's roundabout...

regarding earlier post by chris from sos on height in the cabin--im 6'1(coach called me 6'3) and i had plenty of room. in the front and back the legroom was tight--especially in back--very small leg room in back but plenty of head room.

Back