LA Trip

It is my wifes 50th birthday and I am taking her to L.A. for three days then to Maui. We have never been to L.A.! She wants to see the Hollywood/Beverly Hills stuff. Can you California guys give me some tips where to stay or not to stay? Cool places for dinner? What areas I should stay away from. I want to stay away from downtown L.A. Thanks Wswen

Just some places to try while you're in Hollywood:

Universal Citywalk - It's like a big promenade with lots of things to see and do. Street performers, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Out in Santa Monica there's always the 3rd Street Promenade and Pier.

Good places to eat... If you like steak, go to Balboa Prime on Sunset Blvd or Nick and Stef's in Downtown LA (I know you were avoiding that area). There's great Thai food in Thai Town which is on Hollywood Blvd east of the 101. Really though there is so much great food all around that you might want to read up on citysearch.com. Out in Malibu there's good eating and great views at Gladstones and Duke's. Cheesecake factory at Redondo is nice.

Orange County is fun if you want to take a trip down south about 1 hour. Cruise down to Newport and you can go shopping/hang out at Fashion Island. Take a cruise down PCH and go to the beach or just go for a fun cruise. Checkout Irvine Spectrum. Great food and views at Orange Hill restaurant (very romantic and I'd highly recommend this for a Birthday).

Southern California is like that though, the action is all spread out and things to do are just everywhere. These are just some of the things I like to do...

For steaks go to Morton's in Beverly Hills. If you like garlic try the Stinking Rose on La Cienega or right next door for Japanese the best rate in L.A. at Matsuhisa. These are all within a 2 mile radius of BH.

For entertainment there is also Downtown Disney in Anaheim. Lots of shops and great places to eat. Like the Napa Rose and Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen.

LA

is a great area to stay in. Close to LAX and centrally located.

Hotels:
Shutters, Oceana, Lowe's, Shan-gri-la

To Do:
3rd street promenade(shopping and lots of food)
the beach
Malibu is a short and cool drive up the coast
Hollywood is a short drive away
Museum Row
Getty Center -architecture and museum
If you like classical music, go to The Disney Concert Hall. The acoustics are amazing. I f you are coming after june, the newly renovated Hollywood Bowl will be opened and it's gonna be great.
Dodger's game

If you want to stay in Beverly Hills, try the Avalon-very cool hotel right off Rodeo' drive.
As mentioned above, LA is spread out and wherever you are there is something interesting to do.
PM me if you want some more info.
Good Luck!

I'll throw in a few food recommendations: Crustacean, The Grand Lux Cafe (at the Beverly Center), Lawry's (on La Cienega), I Cugini (near 3rd Street Promenade)

For hotels, I recommend The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey (my wife works there) :D

Back