Know of anyone who tried "Body-for-Life?"

I've seen this book here and there at Borders or Barnes/Noble. I was flipping through the pages and I like the results I see.
I was thinking of trying it. Anybody (or know of anyone) had any exposure to this? What do you think?

Body-For-Life-Book.jpg

I did a little research on it and here's what I found:

PRO: I said it once and I'll say it again... Body for Life works! Body for Life, which by the way comes complete with EAS supplement coupons when you buy the book, is a great way to begin a fitness program. The nutritional advice is ideal and is not too demanding. The workouts are well detailed and don't take long to complete. Longevity is promoted in Body for Life, which most fad diets seem to lack.

Most who try the program will see results. For many, the results are attributed directly to an initial increase in physical activity as well as improved nutrition habits. But it's important to note that very few will notice results as dramatic as in the Body for Life advertisements.

Lastly, don't be fooled into thinking that EAS supplements are the best quality or the only option when you're on the program. Very few supplements in general are effective... And most importantly... don't buy into the marketing hype.

CON: Bill Phillips is an exercise and motivational guru. As a weight loss program "Body for Life" is better than most "diets" because its primary focus is on exercise, which is the most important trait of long-term weight loss. It is the one thing in common with all diets that succeed in the long-term. The problem with "Body for Life" is that it may be too positive. By marketing it as a way to look like a body builder the average person is given a far too optimistic picture of what is possible in the short-term. Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is.

His brand of weight loss teaches the bodybuilding mentality: a fine-tuned weight lifting regimen with dietary supplements (which his book is going to try to sell you) whose focus is optimum cosmetic appearance. At his website, he downplays his focus on supplements, but the advertisements are everywhere. He also de-emphasizes cardiovascular exercise, which is common among body builders. The Body for Life Program runs 12-weeks and has a definitive end, which is not where your focus should be. It should be years or the rest of your life, not weeks. Weight lifting in a gym, home or health club is a great place to start but is hard for most people to maintain, because it is exercise for exercise's sake and a bit monotonous. Try not to read too much into the multitude of positive anecdotal testimonials. Anyone who exercises more and decreases caloric intake is going to lose weight and feel a lot better. The kind of exercise that sustains itself in the long-term are lifestyle exercise sports like tennis, hiking, cycling, climbing, dancing, etcetera... These are the type of activities that you don't think of as exercise and will lead to a lasting victory over your weight problems. Find a basic food plan or choose one of the inexpensive/sensible online programs for structure and support, add lifestyle exercise activities and you have all the ingredients of the best possible option.

I have a friend and his wife that use that book, they both look great! (she looks REALLY good...hehe).
what it basically says is to eat 6 small meals a day to speed up your metabolism and get it used to working all the time.

seems to work.

I've followed it to some extent myself for a while - I think the program works, but just go into it knowing that he is trying to sell you a ton of EAS supplements (Myoplex bars and shakes, etc). The workouts are sensible and effective, and so is the cardio portion. Eating 6 smaller balanced meals a day allows your metabolism to stay elevated and helps you fight the starvation effect. Also, he recommends ignoring everything 1 day a week and pigging out on whatever you want, which a lot of people like.

Any plan that recommends healthy eating combined with a practical workout regimen is going to have positive effects. This one works because people like the before/after pictures and his contests. Just take all the supplement-selling with a grain of salt.

Why don't you save your money and just eat a balanced diet and get regular exercise?

I haven't tried it, but I could probably name about 25 women in my office that have. I don't know if it works or not as we all know that all diets "start tomorrow." They are on a new diet about every week. I just want to walk up to them and tell them to just stop freaking going out to lunch everyday and they'd be fine!!

SCS2k said:
Why don't you save your money and just eat a balanced diet and get regular exercise?

Exactly. Im sure thats what the book is going to tell you to do anyways.

SCS2k said:

To truely eat a well balanced diet (the number of carbs, calories, etc. you need) and work out on a regular basis and work and have a family life and have a social life etc. etc. is VERY difficult/ next to impossible. You will find yourself cooking constantly or eating the same thing continually (you make 1 big meal that feeds you several times over the day). Remember ANY and ALL processed food is the enemy. I know because I use to weight lift for many years and stopped about 5 years ago. You absolutely need to fill in a couple of meals a day with meal replacements in order to remove some of the burden of cooking.

I would say 95% of people in NA would not even know how many calories they need to sustain a healthy body weight, or how to truely eat nutritionally. Hell I have been away from the scene for 5 years and my diet has gone to hell and I eat better than 90% of the population.

What Bill Phillips says make scense and you will see results from his program but you have to be committed to it, which few people are.

You do not need all the EAS products he sells but you will need some meal replacement products and not all (meal replacements) on the market are the same. Just like a Corrola and an NSX are not the same. You get what you pay for. And because people cannot see a difference in products they typically want to buy the cheapest on the shelf. When it comes to supplements you need to find a health store that is staffed with educated people who will spend time educating you on what YOU need, because everyone is different. How do you know the staff are educated? You need to be a little educated and them ask them questions you know the answer to. If they know lots they should be able to answer the question succinctly and they should know about many of the products on their shelves. I got lucky when I searched out the store I ended up dealing with, I found a gentleman who was a wealth of knowledge and had very reasonable prices. Even though he sold his store to a staff member I still occasionally call him for information.

If you are truely interested in succeding you will need to spend some time prior to jumping in to the program planning your schedule and educating yourself about products and diet.

Good Luck with the program.

Dash Rip Rock said:
To truely eat a well balanced diet (the number of carbs, calories, etc. you need) and work out on a regular basis and work and have a family life and have a social life etc. etc. is VERY difficult/ next to impossible. You will find yourself cooking constantly or eating the same thing continually (you make 1 big meal that feeds you several times over the day). Remember ANY and ALL processed food is the enemy. I know because I use to weight lift for many years and stopped about 5 years ago. You absolutely need to fill in a couple of meals a day with meal replacements in order to remove some of the burden of cooking.

I would say 95% of people in NA would not even know how many calories they need to sustain a healthy body weight, or how to truely eat nutritionally. Hell I have been away from the scene for 5 years and my diet has gone to hell and I eat better than 90% of the population.

What Bill Phillips says make scense and you will see results from his program but you have to be committed to it, which few people are.

You do not need all the EAS products he sells but you will need some meal replacement products and not all (meal replacements) on the market are the same. Just like a Corrola and an NSX are not the same. You get what you pay for. And because people cannot see a difference in products they typically want to buy the cheapest on the shelf. When it comes to supplements you need to find a health store that is staffed with educated people who will spend time educating you on what YOU need, because everyone is different. How do you know the staff are educated? You need to be a little educated and them ask them questions you know the answer to. If they know lots they should be able to answer the question succinctly and they should know about many of the products on their shelves. I got lucky when I searched out the store I ended up dealing with, I found a gentleman who was a wealth of knowledge and had very reasonable prices. Even though he sold his store to a staff member I still occasionally call him for information.

If you are truely interested in succeding you will need to spend some time prior to jumping in to the program planning your schedule and educating yourself about products and diet.

Good Luck with the program.

Actually, virtually everything you have said is not true. How do I know? Because I am a doctor, I have a family, I work out on a regular basis, work 12-15 hours a day 5-7 days a week, and don't buy any silly fad books, unnecessary supplements or believe that any of this is rocket science. A nice food pyramid is available for free from the government that will show you very simply how to put together a balanced diet.

Processed food is not the enemy but, in general, it is much less healthy that fresh meats, dairy and produce. Carbs are not the anti-Christ either. Meal replacements are not necessary if you can cook or know how to select carefully from a restaurant menu. A healthy meal at home can be had in less than 15 minutes if you have the right ingredients. Supplements are a complete waste of money and provide absolutely no benefit whatsoever if you eat a good diet. Even if you don't, most supplements simply lighten your wallet. A good multivitamin is never a bad idea though.

Use common sense (apparently not so common), eat well, make healthy choices, and exercise on a regular basis (how many people can't find at least 30 minutes three times a week?) and you will do fine. See your doctor if you need any real nutritional or exercise advice, not someone in a store trying to sell a product/book.

SCS2k said:
Actually, virtually everything you have said is not true. How do I know? Because I am a doctor, I have a family, I work out on a regular basis, work 12-15 hours a day 5-7 days a week, and don't buy any silly fad books, unnecessary supplements or believe that any of this is rocket science. A nice food pyramid is available for free from the government that will show you very simply how to put together a balanced diet.

Processed food is not the enemy but, in general, it is much less healthy that fresh meats, dairy and produce. Carbs are not the anti-Christ either. Meal replacements are not necessary if you can cook or know how to select carefully from a restaurant menu. A healthy meal at home can be had in less than 15 minutes if you have the right ingredients. Supplements are a complete waste of money and provide absolutely no benefit whatsoever if you eat a good diet. Even if you don't, most supplements simply lighten your wallet. A good multivitamin is never a bad idea though.

Use common sense (apparently not so common), eat well, make healthy choices, and exercise on a regular basis (how many people can't find at least 30 minutes three times a week?) and you will do fine. See your doctor if you need any real nutritional or exercise advice, not someone in a store trying to sell a product/book.

Everything I said is wrong?

All you have to do is go to your local mall and look at the population at large, do they know how to cook from scratch? NO! Do they know how NOT to OVER DO carbs? NO! Do they use common sense? NO! Do they have 12 years of post secondary education about health? NO?

8 out of 10 restaurants that 90% of the population visits do not have much on the menu to choose from, nor is the food served in a proper proportion to your body weight, so you eat what you need and not what is in front of you. Not to mention we all don't earn a doctors income so we can afford to make the right choices at meal time 6 times a day.

I know people who have great metabolisms (a low percentage of the population) and they can eat all kinds of stuff in larger portions than necessary that would make the average person tubby, but they still look great.

AS THE PERSON SAID THEY LIKE THE RESULTS OF THE PEOPLE IN THE MAGAZINE. I can guarantee you that NOT ONE of these people spent 30 minutes/ three times a week exercising and got those results. Good God give your head a shake man.

I did not say buy all the supplements, I said some of the meal replacements will be neccessary when a person moves to a healthy six meal schedule. Cooking six meals a day is time consuming or buying 3 and cooking 3 is costly.

So Mr. Doctor unless you are a physically gifted individual I would not hesitate to say you LOOK nothing like any of the people in the Body for Life book this person is trying to strive towards and your advice "Use common sense (apparently not so common), eat well, make healthy choices, and exercise on a regular basis" is far too broad for the average person who is over weight.

Breakfast: Toast with butter and Jam, a bowl of Special K and a coffee is not the right choice if this person is striving to achieve the results of the people in Body for Life.

Lunch: A ham sandwich with mayo light and lettuce will not take him/her where they want to go.

Supper: Spaghetti and meat sauce will not help this person lose those extra pounds.

Please post pictures of what you look like if you insist I do not know what I am talking about.

I am no juice monkey (steriods freak), but I can guarantee you I know more about how to get where this person wants to go than you do. He does not want to lose 5-10 pounds.

Last edited:
Back