• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keyless Entry Remote

I just purchased a 2000 NSX-T. It came with the Acura 2 button keyless entry remote which I believe was a dealer addon prior to delivery. Attached are pictures of the remote, user manual and page 23-21 from the service manual which I followed to try to reprogram the remotes after I replaced the batteries. My remotes look different than the one in the service manual. I can't get them to communicate with the car. The red light on the remotes come on. I can lock and set the security system with the key, so it seems to be working properly. I have seen some discussions on remotes but nothing on this style specifically. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

Attachments

• Keyless Remote.jpg
    Keyless Remote.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Keyless Remote Manual.jpg
    Keyless Remote Manual.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Service Manual Transmitter Programming Instructions.jpg
    Service Manual Transmitter Programming Instructions.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 5
Those are the correct remotes for the pre '03 keyless system. Check the serial number on the back of each remote which indicates the code that has been set into the remote. The numbers must match. If they don't, chances are that you have a patched together system (EBay parts) rather than a package purchased from Acura. Since your 'service manual' does not match the remotes I am smelling a collection of parts rather than a package purchased from Acura.

If the serial numbers match, do you know that the system ever worked? The keyless unit will be located on the panel just under the glove box. It is actually attached to the bottom surface (outside) of that trim panel so it is easily visible by just getting on your knees and looking up under the footwell. As shown in the video, it will be a little square black box about 80mm x 80 mm. If the box isn't there you know why the system does not work!

Assuming you have a master, the next thing is to remove that panel under the glove box and detach the keyless unit from the panel and check the number on the bottom of the unit. If the number matches the numbers on the remotes then you know that it is a matched system probably supplied by an Acura dealer. Assuming everything matches, the next thing would be to check the fuse for the master unit. The 3A fuse will be in the interposing harness that ties the master into the vehicle wiring in one of those ATC in-line fuse holders. If the fuse is not blown and the serial numbers match it should work. Make sure that the antenna is firmly plugged into the master unit.

I also have a 2000 with the Acura keyless system installed. If you run into problems I may be able to find those instructions (I habitually do not throw stuff like that away; but, I am not sure where it is because it is not stuffed in with my service manuals). If you need it and I can find it I will scan it and attach the scans to a post since you are not yet eligible to use private messages.

Let me know.

Thank you very much. The 2 fobs and the unit have the same number so I believe it is the originally installed system. The antenna on the back of the unit is plugged in.

I will proceed to track down the fuse and see if that is the problem.

Thanks again for your expertise.

The video is essentially correct and even uses images from an NSXprime thread here.

The number inside the remote is decimal (not hexadecimal), the ribbon cable is binary and can be modified using a 1.5mm (1/16") drill.

NOTE: I am looking for somebody from Kenwood that can help me track down where these Acura remotes were diverted when they migrated warehouses in Irvine, CA.

The fuse was blown.

I replaced it and everything works perfect.

Thank you very much!!!

That is good that you were able to find the problem and that it now works. It is slightly concerning because the probability of an ATC fuse failing without an overload / short circuit seems to be incredibly low (so low that I have never been able to find failure rate data for the ATO / ATC fuses). The old AGC glass fuses did have a measurable in service failure rate. If the keyless unit fuse popped (the tell tale is that the little fuse wire is open in the middle) then you might want to have a close look at the harness to make sure that the wires have not chaffed or have been pinched. Otherwise, wait for something to happen and if nothing does enjoy the convenience and the reduced wear on the door key lock cylinders.

Back