Just wanted to intro myself. Looking for an NSX in approx. 3 months.

The process is now beginning. The Z is paid off and the new project car will be started soon. I'm looking for a blk/blk '95 NSX manual transmission with under 30k miles. It will be a stark contrast sitting next to my white 300ZXTT. Good vs. evil... LOL.

I'm looking to buy one in about 3 months. I need some time to familiarize myself with the differences between the models. I have test driven two NSX's (91 & 93 models) so I know I will be very happy with my final purchase. I'm pretty much set on the model/color combo I want. I'm looking at the different modifications available right now. My Z currently has about 350-370rwhp and 420-440rwtq. It also significantly heavier than an X. After the purchase, I want to begin immediately on the power upgrade. That was one of the major turn-offs for myself when orginally when looking at the X. I will either turbo or SC it. If I can convince Charles Hudson to let me drive his SC'd NSX, I will have a starting point to do a comparison. I have been struggling to find examples of reliable turbo'd NSX's though. I have read about Cybernation's turbo package and hopefully that will be ready by the time I purchase.

My Z is the one all the way on the left...
ChasZs.jpg

Take care,
-Tony www.AutoVation.net

------------------
slogo5_notext.gif

I assume you want a '95 because you want the NSX-T with the removable roof panel, and the ability to remove the roof is more important to you than the additional rigidity of the '91-94 fixed-roof coupe... right?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I assume you want a '95 because you want the NSX-T with the removable roof panel, and the ability to remove the roof is more important to you than the additional rigidity of the '91-94 fixed-roof coupe... right?

You assume correctly. The weather here in Charleston, SC is just too nice most of the year. I know the '95 weighs a bit more also. More reason for FI, right?
-Tony

Originally posted by Joel:
I've always wanted a ZX.
smile.gif

That's funny, because - while I've admired and considered owning many different cars - the Z is one car I've never had any desire to own.

That's funny, because - while I've admired and considered owning many different cars - the Z is one car I've never had any desire to own.

What kind of cars have you admired and considered? I would be interested in knowing that.

Originally posted by Tiger740:
What kind of cars have you admired and considered? I would be interested in knowing that.

Well, I tend to admire cars that offer relatively light weight, great handling, and will stand up to track use. A good example in the same era and price range as the last ZX was the last-gen RX-7, which fit all these characteristics but had horrendous reliability. I found it far more attractive to me than the competing Supra, ZX, and 3000GT, all of which were hundreds of pounds heavier than the NSX.

I admired and considered (and bought) a new Integra Type R two years ago, as my daily driver and sometimes track car. Since that car was discontinued, with its replacement not available in North America, there hasn't been anything in its price range to catch my fancy, but the preliminary reports of the upcoming WRX STi and Evolution sound interesting and it will be interesting to see how they compare with the new Z. I admire the Z06 strictly in terms of bang for the buck, in which Corvettes have excelled for years, even though I have never considered buying one. Go up in price and I admire the late-model Ferraris (F355 and 360 Modena). Going back to the opposite end of the price spectrum, that new Dodge Neon SRT-4 sure offers huge performance for under $20K, and a $2500 rebate is available too (although it's a bit on the heavy side at 2939 pounds, 300 pounds more than my ITR).

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 12 February 2003).]

Nice list of admiring cars!! Not really interested in Audis or BMWs?

new Dodge Neon SRT-4 sure offers huge performance for under $20K, and a $2500 rebate is available too (although it's a bit on the heavy side at 2939 pounds, 300 pounds more than my ITR).

If you show up at the MTV reality-show like racing competition, you can win SRT-4(which I have no doubt)!!

Originally posted by Tiger740:
Not really interested in Audis or BMWs?

Not much. They tend to be overweight and overpriced. And, with the current 7 Series, overcomplicated (I-Drive) and ugly (trunk lid). The Z8 is very very nice though.

I'm curious Autovation. Why a 95 instead of a 97 if you are after speed. List of upgrades on 97 by factory was substantial.
Just gotta ask...
And if you shop hard some higher milage 97's can be had a a comparable price.

Originally posted by Roadrunner:
And if you shop hard some higher milage 97's can be had a a comparable price.

So you're saying that you can get a well-worn '97 NSX-T with close to 100K miles for the same price as a '95 NSX-T? Uh, yeah...
rolleyes.gif

The fact is, '95 NSX-T will sell for $8-10K less than a '97 NSX-T that is similar in all respects except for the year. And if someone cares enough about the condition of the car that he is willing to pay more for an immaculate low-mileage '95, chances are he would only consider comparing it to an immaculate low-mileage '97 - which means paying another $8-10K.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 February 2003).]

So you're saying that you can get a well-worn '97 NSX-T with close to 100K miles for the same price as a '95 NSX-T? Uh, yeah...
rolleyes.gif

The fact is, '95 NSX-T will sell for $8-10K less than a '97 NSX-T that is similar in all respects except for the year. And if someone cares enough about the condition of the car that he is willing to pay more for an immaculate low-mileage '95, chances are he would only consider comparing it to an immaculate low-mileage '97 - which means paying another $8-10K.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 February 2003).]

Exactly, I want a perfect condition car. Think about it. I will most likely go with a turbo kit (or less likely a SC) after which the power output between a 3.0L engine and the 3.2L engine is negligible. I will definitely upgrade the wheels and I will also most likely upgrade the brakes. With all of these changes to occur shortly after purchasing the car, I feel it is a better decision to go with the '95. The $8-10k price difference will pay for a lot of mods!
Thoughts?
-Tony

Originally posted by AutoVation:
Thoughts?

I think you know what you're doing, as your decisions make sense.

However, I also think a '97 is worth considering for four reasons, not just the extra 20 hp:

1. It has a six-speed transmission with closer gear ratios, which is superior to the five-speed, even if you had the short gears installed in the five-speed. And, of course, you would be saving the cost of the short gears by getting the six-speed.

2. It has better structural rigidity than the '95.

3. Hey, twenty horses are twenty horses, right?

4. The '97 will always be worth more than a '95. If at some point you sell it, you'll probably get a bigger percentage of that difference back than you would if you spent it on aftermarket mods.

Whether it's worth spending the extra $8-10K on, is up to you, because it's your money. But those first three items are significant improvements, which is the same thing as mods, and the last item means that it's not really costing you the entire $8-10K because of the higher market value of your car.

Decisions, decisions...

I think you know what you're doing, as your decisions make sense.

However, I also think a '97 is worth considering for four reasons, not just the extra 20 hp:

1. It has a six-speed transmission with closer gear ratios, which is superior to the five-speed, even if you had the short gears installed in the five-speed. And, of course, you would be saving the cost of the short gears by getting the six-speed.

2. It has better structural rigidity than the '95.

3. Hey, twenty horses are twenty horses, right?

4. The '97 will always be worth more than a '95. If at some point you sell it, you'll probably get a bigger percentage of that difference back than you would if you spent it on aftermarket mods.

Whether it's worth spending the extra $8-10K on, is up to you, because it's your money. But those first three items are significant improvements, which is the same thing as mods, and the last item means that it's not really costing you the entire $8-10K because of the higher market value of your car.

Decisions, decisions...

1. True about the short gears on the 6-speed.

2. True.

3. There is a lack of dyno records for 3.0L vs. 3.2L motors that have been turbo'd to determine if there is a real performance difference. Everything I have seen so far speaks to the contrary, there are a lot of other factors involved.

4. Not true. I am looking for a very low mileage '95. It will be worth more than a high mileage '97.

Your points have made me examine my selection a little more carefully. I know my budget and what I am willing to spend. Of course, I will shop very thoroughly to find the best NSX for the money. I will not sacrifice low mileage for more options however.
smile.gif

4. Not true. I am looking for a very low mileage '95. It will be worth more than a high mileage '97.

I think you misinterpreted me. I am not recommending a high mileage '97 over a low mileage '95. Not at all.

My suggestion (albeit ambiguously stated) is that a low mileage '97 may also be worth considering, while realizing that there will likely be a significant difference in purchase cost compared with a low mileage '95.

If I can convince Charles Hudson to let me drive his SC'd NSX, I will have a starting point to do a comparison.

You never asked
wink.gif
When it is back on the ground.

P.S. this you man. Just like I told ya.
black_marga.jpg
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by chudson1549 (edited 18 February 2003).]

Originally posted by chudson1549:
You never asked
wink.gif
When it is back on the ground.
smile.gif
You know I'm going to be requesting a test drive to hear that SC and JGTC you have!

Ok guys, I think I have found an NSX to make an offer on. The e-bay bids only went up to $38500. Here is the e-bay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403042673&category=5337

Here is the listing on the company's website: http://www.willhoitenterprises.com/car28.htm

Assuming car fax and everything else (i.e. NSX used car inspection check sheet) work out, what would be a fair offer on this car? $46900 seems pretty high (there are 97+'s to be had for that price!).
Thanks everyone,
-Tony

what would be a fair offer on this car?

Well, the miles are certainly below average, but it's difficult to determine condition from just the numbers. According to the Pricing section of the FAQ here, that car might be worth upper forties if it's truly immaculate ("A"), or mid forties if it's in very good to excellent shape ("B"). If the timing belt and water pump have not yet been replaced, then it is definitely not an "A" car.

$46900 seems pretty high (there are 97+'s to be had for that price!).

Not with 16,900 miles, there aren't!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 18 February 2003).]

Not with 16,900 miles, there aren't!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 18 February 2003).]

When was the FAQ on pricing written, I read that a while ago and the going rates seem to be $5k or so under what is listed there from what I have seen.

When was the FAQ on pricing written

It was completed about two months ago, I believe. Everything I have seen indicates that it is a very accurate depiction of the marketplace. Most discrepancies (prices that seem to be lower) I've heard about, turn out to be cars whose condition was claimed to be better than it actually was.

When was the FAQ on pricing written, I read that a while ago and the going rates seem to be $5k or so under what is listed there from what I have seen.

It was last updated last week (2/14/2003). The "page last modified" thing at the bottom of each page has been broken since November (another MS FrontPage bug).

nicholas421 said:
congrats! details.... 97? 95?

It's actually a '91 that I have been waiting to buy from a good friend of mine. I know the history of the car and it has been garaged and babied since day one. It has only 15k miles and has never seen rain. It still has the new car smell!!! I had wanted a '95 or higher but could not pass this up. I know I will not be disappointed at all, this is the right car at the right time.

I've planned to do the following items:
Wheels (currently has Blitz 03's but I will change them)
Shocks/Springs
Headers/Exhaust
XM radio
Lexan or mesh engine cover

This is all I plan to do for quite some time.

I do have to fix the window regulators and get a timing belt change done soon though...

The 500+rwhp ZTT (recent turbo upgrade) is still my daily driver.

Back